Guitar Player's Thread

A cable does nothing except ... cable stuff. A soldering gun is an excellent investment. :p

True, still kinda bummed my soldering gun is so shit. I want a better one that i can do precision solder with! :zombie:

@Swabs: HOLY FUCK! Those lights look amazing.
And yes definetly! I prefered the Ninja V over the Dean sig ANYDAY :erk: :(

Oh and "real life" pictures of the new Mike Amott sigs.

AmottTyrant.jpg

AmottSignatureTyrant.jpg

Gaaaaayyy :lol:

Seriously wtf is that :lol:

Hey, haven't posted here in a while- been very busy with school work. :erk:

Was wondering if you people could tell me what I needed other than the pickup to switch an EMG 81 (active) in the bridge position with a Dimarzio Steve's Special (passive). Would I have to switch pots or similar? Going for the Jani/old Petrucci pickup.
Answers much appreciated, oh and fuck Dean.

EDIT: Not sure if this helps, but its listed as a 'High Output' Pickup (albeit a passive one)

Hi dudes. Haven't been posting here for a while but here's something.
I was playing in this some kind of a musical thing last summer, and here's a video clip of my playing. (The first guitar solo) Nothing that special really, just a basic solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have two active pickups? If yes you have to switch both. You can't combine a passiv with an active as far as I know.

you can, but it requires some non-standard soldering as far as i understood. i know people who swear by it, and apparently it works great(and is not noisy)

Hi guys ! Glad to hear you liked it. Here's a copy paste from the EMG site about mixing active and passive pickups :

"It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response."