Guitar Player's Thread

Shitty tone depending where, :lol: I like MOP tone or KEA tone, :lol:

I really hate MOP tone :lol:

I think i found myself a PERFECT Metalcore guitar just now :lol: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. It's affordable and looks nice in terms of components/looks. I feel for a fixed bridge now i think for the tuning flexibiility and the simpliness. Ive heard Schecters kick ass...true/not true?

Hey guys i need some Input, I am messing around writing and recording some tunes for my new melodic death band I'm putting together.
Im messing around with different guitar tones and with different drum samples

Here are two versions of the same song, On Mix2 the Rhythm guitar tone is different and also the Kick and Snare drum samples.

Mix1:
http://media.putfile.com/New-song-thingmajig-remixed

Mix2:
http://media.putfile.com/Lowberg-New-song-revalver-mix

Let me know what Guitar tone, kick drum, and snare drum you like better.

I like Mix2 better for guitars and snare but im not really happy with the kick sample on either

I need your help guys.

As I got my pc back I'll soon start to reccord my things for my project Norfmentis. On the contrary of what you can hear on the MySpace, the project is really oriented on the guitars.
You may know that or not, I'm alone on that project so I'm doing everything by myself with what what I have, but I really want to create the effect that it's a real band reccording and I want the double panoramic guitar (One to the left, one to the right) like it would be two guitarist.

I want to know what I could do? For information, both will be reccorded with the same guitar (so, same pickup). I'm using a pedal for the tone, I'm not using any amps (directly to the pedal then to the computer).

Should I use the same settings for both? Or change the EQ? Change the Distortion or the Amp emulated? I will obviously not play he riffs the same way for both guitars, I've developped to way of playing, more or less (in a certain way...).

I will test the things to see what works, what isn't. Sure I could find and settle this by myself, but I'm sure you know that there's so many possibilities it's easy to get lost.

try to get a different tone with each guitar so they complement each other.

Yeah, that's what I want to achieve, but as I said it's a bit complicated and needs a lot of experiments - something that I will sure do, but as I said I wanted to have a base to start with. I've got a good ear and know what I want to get as sound, but I've dropped Guitars for like 2 years and I'm back on it since some month, and I'm not totally into gears and technical sounding hings about it, so.

Thanks for the gain thing by the way. An obvious thing but I didn't thought about that, can save me a lot of testing time :lol:

My recomendation is low gain, same tone for both, 100% panning and using some sort of noise reduction/click supressor/hiss reducer AFTER recording (CEP is teh king for that IMO). If they are both rythm guitars same tone gives a sense of unity IMO. That's what I do at least and what I'll be doing for my band's demo. For leads a bit more gain on guitar and maybe a bit more bass depending what you want, and if it's just one track I always like to put a small amount of chorus (the default chorus on CEP works great for my taste).

They don't need to make a video, this is good enough

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what I want to achieve, but as I said it's a bit complicated and needs a lot of experiments - something that I will sure do, but as I said I wanted to have a base to start with. I've got a good ear and know what I want to get as sound, but I've dropped Guitars for like 2 years and I'm back on it since some month, and I'm not totally into gears and technical sounding hings about it, so.

Thanks for the gain thing by the way. An obvious thing but I didn't thought about that, can save me a lot of testing time :lol:

yeah :lol:

so what guitar are you using and what amp?

Not sure if I asked you guys for advice on what colour to paint my new 7, but well here it is. Probably got ignored anyway

l_b879128e4713c5787fb48f8ed78ff5ae.jpg

l_ef941e1734396b1e4c44a70ee1ff0d3b.jpg

l_ddda304a2d54ece611e203574cc0119e.jpg

what do you think?

Same here.

I supose you guys have finished bashing what you don't like, now someone who likes it might be able to give his opinion :rolleyes:

EMG 81 is not the best pickup in the world, but it doesn't by any means suck. It can have way too much gain for some stuff and may sound shit on the neck position, but on the bridge position and with not excessive gain (don't go for 10, something around 6 is enough) it sounds really cool. Of course don't forget to get some mids and don't go for a full set on bass.

That beeing said, 81 will be shit if you want a super distorted and bassy tone. But for a normal gain and with enough mids (COB, Death since Human (before the tone was fucking shit IMO), Sinergy, Metallica the first albums, ... stuff like that) it's a cool pickup IMO. But all my experience is in bridge position, so I can't talk about neck or that stuff. If you have found it cheap on eBay my advice is get it and get rid of the Duncan designed on your RR3 on the bridge. Dunno about neck tho, as I don't use neck p-ups (in fact my guitar doesn't even have one, and I don't use anymore the one on my Ibanez, :lol:).

I like my EMG 81 with the Randall. It can get some mud in the low end but overall its pretty tight and nice sounding now.

Devin Townsend use 81's, go listen to Strapping Young Lad and tell me that tone is shit.

Also, putting passives in a RR3 guitar is a waste of time and money, the wood is bollocks, and considering that passives get more of their tone from the wood than active goes, i would seriously get Actives for it. Blackouts, Livewires, EMG81/85

For EMG 85 sound in bridge, listen to Alestorm feks

Well thanks for the advice! ill look into the other pickups u guys mentioned and see what happens.

Not sure if I asked you guys for advice on what colour to paint my new 7, but well here it is. Probably got ignored anyway

l_b879128e4713c5787fb48f8ed78ff5ae.jpg

l_ef941e1734396b1e4c44a70ee1ff0d3b.jpg

l_ddda304a2d54ece611e203574cc0119e.jpg

what do you think?

Awesome!

I've wanted a yellow guitar for some time now, you should really keep it as it is.