Guitar Tone Competition 3: Planning phase

And if someone missed it the first time from the OP:

ahjteam said:
A short clip of original material, preferrably unreleased (no covers so there is no reference point), about 30-60 second clip with drums, bass and two rhythm guitars playing variety of stuff (palm mutes, strumming, squeals etc), plus it would be really nice if there would be a separate lead guitar too this time around, but it is not required.

And also a comment from the previous competition:

There is only 2 chords held in the whole clip (and its very short),. The majority are single note playing. Single note playing does not expose the complete guitar tone. It will let tones in that have no business competing. Chords, especially ones that are help long enough to hear the decay are what separate good amps from bad ones. Many sounds that excel in single note playing are actually terrible for chords because chords are where all the harmonics are displayed--the other thing is short stabbing notes or chords are good but only if long help notes are included. An amp tone competition should include all aspects of a metal tone.

I vote for Jeff to do the DI's, simply because every time he has posted any, they sound awesome going back through whatever anybody reamps with. They are very clean and pure.

Cool stuff. Poidaobi, only one submission per person. You CAN use 2 or more different amps in one submission though (as in tracked through several amps). Only one submission because last time we had about 60 participants, which took around 10 hours to process properly. I really don't want to double my workload :D

I think making the deadline stick will ease your workload!

+1

Also, just eliminating those that don't adhere to the 'no messing with backing track' or 'keep levels at x' rules would make it easier on you guys too.

I think making the deadline stick will ease your workload!

How about this as a rough estimate?

April 9 (this friday): It is decided who makes the track + does the maker want vocals to the track. I will start to scavenge for sponsors.

2 weeks forward

April 23 (friday): All raw files (including vocals) supplied to Ermz for mixing.

2 weeks forward

Final files supplied to Mark, competition starts on May 7 (monday)

1 month forward

Submission time ends on May 31 (monday)

1-2 weeks forward (depending on the amount of participants)

Voting begins

X weeks forward

Finals in June/July

Great, I´m gonna sign up this time. And again I am willing to do the bass DI track if needed, although I only have POD to do the DI through the usb connection unlike last time when I had a really good interface to record to, so if anyone with a better set up for the DI can do it go ahead. but if needed, I will gladly do it again

How about this as a rough estimate?

April 9 (this friday): It is decided who makes the track + does the maker want vocals to the track. I will start to scavenge for sponsors.

2 weeks forward

April 23 (friday): All raw files (including vocals) supplied to Ermz for mixing.

2 weeks forward

Final files supplied to Mark, competition starts on May 7 (monday)

1 month forward

Submission time ends on May 31 (monday)

1-2 weeks forward (depending on the amount of participants)

Voting begins

X weeks forward

Finals in June/July

Sounds good to me :D Jeff's DI tracks always sound good, and so do Ola's, someone needs to record something!