guitars

shadedlife

guru
Jun 23, 2003
www.shagra.cjb.net
I have an American Standard Fender Stratocaster, but I was looking to find a guitar that suited my style of music better. I love the PRS guitars, but they are most definitely out of my price range. I don't like the way that Les Pauls play, so those are ruled out. I am trying to find some other guitar that has a tone similar to Opeth's and has a somewhat low price (lower than 1000, if possible)

Well, I just bought a Jackson SLSMG with black flame top for 800, but musiciansfriend just dropped it to 700. Its neckthru mahogany w/ebony fingerboard. The pickups are emg hz, but i bought some SDs. Sounds good, plays great. Its a good deal for the price I think.

I have a satin black Jackson SLSMG for sale if someone wants one. Im only asking $400 Thats half of its retail cost. Its about a year and a half old, and its in great condition. I never gigged with it, just played at home. All original hardware and electronics in great condition. just let me know if anyone is interested.

Nah, nothing like that...its actually one of the most impressive guitars ive had for the money. I just recently bought a new Paul Reed Smith custom 24, so i decided the jackson is the guitar i dont really need anymore, thats the only reason im selling it.

LordHypnos said:
I have a satin black Jackson SLSMG for sale if someone wants one. Im only asking $400 Thats half of its retail cost. Its about a year and a half old, and its in great condition. I never gigged with it, just played at home. All original hardware and electronics in great condition. just let me know if anyone is interested.

Yo dude, I know this is kinda overdoing it, but would you be willing to wait till, say august? Please? :D I would buy it in a sec now, but I'm not gonna have anywhere near enough money to buy it until then, which is when my summer job ends and i get paid...if you're willing to wait, email me at nb11@mindspring.com

shadedlife said:
I have an American Standard Fender Stratocaster, but I was looking to find a guitar that suited my style of music better. I love the PRS guitars, but they are most definitely out of my price range. I don't like the way that Les Pauls play, so those are ruled out. I am trying to find some other guitar that has a tone similar to Opeth's and has a somewhat low price (lower than 1000, if possible)

If you want something similar to Opeth's basically what you're looking for is like crystal clear sound...I don't know that much, but if I were you I'd try a Fender Telecaster. I would've suggested a Gibson, but a)you don't like how they play and b)you're looking for something under $1000. Also Music Man, but again you're looking for under $1000...Mikael has a BC Rich, but I'm positive it's strictly for heavy stuff.

coolsnow...i guess i would be willing to wait. it depends on how serious you are. if i were to wait till august, only to have you flake on me...i fear id be forced to stab in you in the face with a saudering iron.

A fender telecaster? no way dude, thats totally the opposite sound you want. All of their guitars are humbucker guitars except they used strats on still life. I recommend a mahogany body guitar, neck thru if you can, with two humbucker setup. If it has a tremelo, you might want to shy away from floyd roses. I had one on my previous ibanez and it only hurt the sound. Cool to have, but better without it.

suislidE said:
A fender telecaster? no way dude, thats totally the opposite sound you want. All of their guitars are humbucker guitars except they used strats on still life. I recommend a mahogany body guitar, neck thru if you can, with two humbucker setup. If it has a tremelo, you might want to shy away from floyd roses. I had one on my previous ibanez and it only hurt the sound. Cool to have, but better without it.

Dude, you can screw around with the tone and everything with you're amp and pedals. but you cant exactly make it sound clearer with an amp. telecasters are just stereotyped cuz of all the stupid bands that use them as being guitars that play light. But you're definetly right about the floyd roses

LordHypnos said:
coolsnow...i guess i would be willing to wait. it depends on how serious you are. if i were to wait till august, only to have you flake on me...i fear id be forced to stab in you in the face with a saudering iron.

Don't worry I'm completely serious. I'd just like a picture if you have one to see exactly what it looks like...i posted my email address above.

I dont know, but I can definitely tell you not to get a Les Paul for Opeth tone, it is too muddy, and classic rockish even with the right pickups. I get great tone out of my Ibanez RG421, maybe look into either Ibanez or Jackson.

Double Fat-Strats are nice, stick an Invader in the bridge maybe. A Godin with acoustic piezo output would be nice for Opeth's on-the-fly switching. Look into the LGX series. I suppose you'll pay a lot more for it in the States than Canada, but they're better constucted than anything at their price point, and the high-end models come stock with Duncans.

Ibanez is nice, the RGT42 is a good neck-thru model from Korea, but any Japanese ibanez would do the trick..mm..japanese guitars

You could also look at the Schecter C1 classics. I just about bought one of those with the blue quilt top. I was really suprised to see how many things came stock on one of those guitars. Its mahogany neckthru, 3 or 4 different colors, SD 59/JB, tone pros bridge, what more could you ask for a 700 guitar. Now that the jackson SLSMG went down to 700, I just had to have it. For some reason the one with the normal black finish is still 900 new.. looking at the specs there isnt any difference what so ever. any of you guys know why its 200 more than the flametop version?

second the c-1 classic, personally I think its the closest you can get to a PRS without spending that much money. Sounds great, looks REALLY great and plays well....great =). Also nails Opeth's sound, seeing as it has the same pickups and damn close to the same body style.

But those SLSMG's....god damn I love those. Jackson scored big with them. Been "next on my list" for a while now.

my les paul sounds just fine for opeth

if you don't like how the les paul plays though, you might check out the SG's
have a bit thinner neck, and is a good bit lighter than the lp

A Godin with acoustic piezo output would be nice for Opeth's on-the-fly switching. Look into the LGX series. I suppose you'll pay a lot more for it in the States than Canada, but they're better constucted than anything at their price point, and the high-end models come stock with Duncans.
I'm in toronto, like you.

I'm going to look into the Schecters (c1) and the Jacksons (SLSMG). Telecaster = big no-no. Thanks a lot for your help... keep the suggestions coming!

Get a Gibson ES 335.... Im kidding

Ibanez RG models would be a good choice

I have a Jackson Kelly with some Dimarzios and a Ibanez RG 350dx both not expensive guitars but sound dandy... I got the RG for about $300-350 with a hardshell... shit you could buy 2... or get some pickups to slap in there