Half way through the year - best album so far?

Prognostic said:
i will but i hope mirai's keys arent very prominent. they're what basically ruined sigh for me.

nah, its some cameo work. this stuff doesnt resemble sigh. sigh has like 5 albums anyway, mirai keeps it in check MOST of the time, so i think you jumped the gun a bit there, but whatever.

also....anyone who likes ulver's blood inside, or Ved Buens Ende, or fleurety or dodheimsgards newest stuff...definitely look into Virus - Carheart. Its the ved buens ende lineup + 1 doing some very odd, dark and interesting black metal madness.

NineFeetUnderground said:
while NOT like weakling. but something else i would definitely recommend, for its maybe the most bizarre "black metal" band you will EVER hear...

Meads Of Asphodel

a former hawkwind guitarist in in the band. as well as keyboard work from mirai of sigh. theyre from the UK, and they incorporate everything from middle eastern flourishes, to folk, to space rock, electronica, to post rock, to old school black metal, to classic and traditional doom. very "out there" but id say a very important and relevant band right now. do look into them. quite tasty...assuming you aquire the taste.

just did some slsking, lmao @ one song title per album being about 20 words long

while NOT like weakling. but something else i would definitely recommend, for its maybe the most bizarre "black metal" band you will EVER hear...

Meads Of Asphodel

a former hawkwind guitarist in in the band. as well as keyboard work from mirai of sigh. theyre from the UK, and they incorporate everything from middle eastern flourishes, to folk, to space rock, electronica, to post rock, to old school black metal, to classic and traditional doom. very "out there" but id say a very important and relevant band right now. do look into them. quite tasty...assuming you aquire the taste.

That sounds absurd. I must hear that.

That Louis Armstrong cover on Damascus Steel has to be one of the strangest songs I've heard in a long time. They're definitely um... "outthere", but very intriguing.

the only other band i really think is cutting edge and ahead of its time along with the wolves and weakling albums is dodheimsgard. theyre on another level of sophistication and musicality than just about any other black metal band i can think of (at least with 666 international). but youve probably already heard them.

i wont recommend any other lesser known acts...none of them live up to weakling.

edit: i lied.

Ludicra - Another Great Love Song
Lurker Of Chalice - Self Titled

both of those are worthy. but you cant do much better either.

leviathan is among the best black metal acts right now. wrest also did a great
job with lurker of chalice, but his main project is even better. xasthur should learn a thing or two from leviathan and improve the performance on the albums. an improved xasthur might be really great.

yeah meads is a really strange band, decent stuff though

satanic art is a mini-album that is rather like 666 international, so that would be the natural next step. the band actually used some riffs from the songs on this album on 666. monumental possession is ok, but it doesn't hold my attention too long. kronet... is weak.
if you like 666, you might enjoy satyricon's rebel extravaganza and thorns' self-titled album. these don't really feature keyboards, but otherwise there are some similarities. dmg is much more quirky, though.