Hatecrew Death Roll vs Are You Dead Yet, Blooddrunk and Relentless Reckless Forever

Pick one

• Hatecrew Death Roll

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • New stuff

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
Well I wasn't completely serious when I said that SH is a shitty example, I just compared it to Resident Evil. But you're right and I completely agree with you with this emotion stuff. For me everything else comes before visuals in video games and I really hate people who just basically label book by its and say shit like "LOLOLOL SILENT HILL 1 SUXOR NO 1080P!!". I personally love Silent Hills 1-3 but I have no experiences in post-SH3 Silent Hills so I can't basically say anything negative about them. But when it comes Resident Evils (which is my favourite video game franchise of all time), I feel nearly pure hate towards Capcom for making it a series of über-casual fast-paced third person shooters instead of survival horror. In fact I cannot complain that much because I actually enjoy playing RE5 with a friend, but still the series could be hell of a lot more these days if they had stayed with the good old survival horror.

Yeah... I even tried convincing my brother several times to play SH 2 cos it's a brilliant mental experience, but he still hasn't cos the graphics aren't very good on today's level so he supposes it's bad. :(

I only played RE 4 and 5... 4 was much much better, it had some atmosphere. 5 was all about the graphics. Both were nice shoot'em'ups in a horror themed environment. I hear they've became something completely different after the originals.

I get angry when someone even mentions the use of weapons in a SH review. The function of the games is/was so deep it reached your soul. It was a gateway to YOUR sub-consciousness, like the music. You experience it alone in a room at night, the feeling of loneliness surrounds you and your inner unprocessed emotional stuff that gnaws your conscience and feelings comes up from the past.

As opposed to that, the new stuff is mostly like a clichéic B-grade horror flick, only that it has some budget and of course the material source.

Yeah... I even tried convincing my brother several times to play SH 2 cos it's a brilliant mental experience, but he still hasn't cos the graphics aren't very good on today's level so he supposes it's bad. :(
Tell him to get the HD remake. If he doesn't like the idea, break his legs and try again.
I only played RE 4 and 5... 4 was much much better, it had some atmosphere. 5 was all about the graphics. Both were nice shoot'em'ups in a horror themed environment. I hear they've became something completely different after the originals.
Yeah, RE4 probably my favourite third person shooter of all time and I've completed it like kazillion times, even went as far as completing it on professional without using merchant. But in the end it doesn't have anything in common with older Resident Evils, except characters.
I get angry when someone even mentions the use of weapons in a SH review. The function of the games is/was so deep it reached your soul. It was a gateway to YOUR sub-consciousness, like the music. You experience it alone in a room at night, the feeling of loneliness surrounds you and your inner unprocessed emotional stuff that gnaws your conscience and feelings comes up from the past.
Completely agreed. One thing that also pisses me off is people who ask why those creatures dwell the streets of Silent Hill and where they came from and in general: what the fuck they are? People think about everything so objectively these days that they don't simply bother to think about the symbolic meaning of every detail in older Silent Hill games. For example in Silent Hill 2 there is a doll in the hallway outside the apartment where you met Angela second time. Next to the doll there is a door that is nailed shut and I thought it might mean that she tries to forget about her traumatic childhood and when you think about how small portion of the game that doll and the door are, you can't even imagine how much more there are that kinda little things with huge meanings. Silent Hills are the best possible example of psychological video games and damn I would be pleased if Downpour would return the series back to its roots.

^Agree about everything. I'll have to get the remakes (I knew they would remake them cos it's starting to be too long since a last really good Silent Hill and all they can do is rerelease the old...) altough the voice acting has been made again due to copyright limitations and I've seen the comparisons and the new ones are so soul-less it's ridicilous and chomical and saddening at the same time. Everyone's just used to the graphics and action being the top priority in games these times and that's why they look at this from the wrong aspect. It indeed is really interesting especially in SH 2 when this gut feeling is slowly building inside you with all the grotesque visions and monsters that maybe it's the conscience of the protagonist coming up about a trauma he's not able to process and in psychosis has denied it from having ever happened and now the fears are knocking on the door. It's subconscious cos you don't know the truth before the end of the game, but it's as juicy everytime you play it. Obviously the monsters are a manifestation of the protagonist's sub-conscious fear and anguish triggered by the chemical toxins in the air, that's how I've had it. The whole story and history of SH is extremely complex imo and it's somehow mixed up with psychology/hallucinations/ancient religions, but that only adds to the interest. However, the speciality in the horror-aspect is not the monsters themselves, but the fear of what lies behind the corner or at the end of that dark tunnel. The idea of SH would work with just shadows or ghosts as monsters, but you're not really there so you need to fully think the danger is real, so they've been made physical. SH realized the best way to make the player think dark is not to scare him objectively with the game, but to use the game to get in touch with his personal traumas and sorrows by being able to relate to it. Shattered Memories was like supposed to study your actions psychologically and transform the game and even monsters accordingly... but it was far-fetched, an empty claim. I only need one second of some of the soundtracks of Akira Yamaoka and it goes straight into the hidden place in my soul... So far what I've seen of Downpour it looks like a combination of the weak aspects of the last two episodes, while featuring new graphics of rain. :/ Looking at the designers, I'm not expecting miracles or anything deep.

This is still indirectly related to the whole COB discussion.

^If I remember correctly, Konami is going to include the original voice acting in the SH2 remake because they dealt with all the legal shit. But I might be wrong.

And what comes to "The idea of SH would work with just shadows or ghosts as monsters, but you're not really there so you need to fully think the danger is real, so they've been made physical.", I agree. SH2 has pretty creepy atmosphere all the time and in fact I've never been scared of the monsters, it's the setting of you being alone in an empty apartment building and every single noise you hear is just one step closer to you losing your goddamn mind because you're trying to calmly think what the fuck just kept that noise or did it come from the room you just visited etc etc. Remember that huge room in the Toluca prison which had nothing in it except the gallow in the middle of the room? That is so far the most distressing and also the scariest place I've encountered in video games. Best thing is that there are no monsters in there and that agonizing atmosphere is created by only using darkness and few sound samples. I (and probably everyone else) realized instantly that there was nothing in there but I was still fucking scared of those noises. Those guys at Konami sure know how the human mind works and I really gotta give 'em credit for that.

^Yeah, that stuff works pretty damn good with the surround system especially :D You're in a dark large space with no cover, and the sounds come from random directions, immediately giving a feeling of being hunted. I also loved the dog panting in the forest road, the lion voices in the prison hallways, etc. Man the game consoles today have so much potential and it's a great shame that great games are not being made. Just like there's great potential in making great music but most of time it's not being made. Like COB has endless possibilities to do orchestral parts for the music and orchestra hits, great melodies and atmosphere while incorporating it all to their trademark brutal guitar work, but instead they resort mostly to random riffng. I don't want this to be seen as unjust criticism, but rather trying open the lids of the eyes of infinite possibilities. When the artist opens his mind he can do so much more than just glue together guitar stuff.

I know that people who choose the new stuff will be called LaMe, but alas i have to. See, I love Relentless,Reckless,Forever so much, and AYDY is a good album because they showed a side of them they hadn't ever shown before. When i think of HCDR i think that alot of it sounds the same, and even though all the songs on it are good, none of them AMAZE me. So....yeah.

Oh shit! I didn't know the thread has turned into a videogame thread! :lol:

Resident Evil are really good but that become more n more commercial :(

Hatecrew all the way. It has one of the most distinctive sounds of all their albums, in my opinion. One of the best of their entire discography.