Have you LOVED Opeth for more than two years?

Still a fan, after 9 years. I think all the old people who left still like Opeth, their newer stuff not quite so much. They left mostly because they got fed up with the board. Some of them are still around, Lina I think only posts on the DT board and I've seen Jo around. Metalmaster is still around the Opeth board and MetalmanCPA, and Moonlapse is a fairly old member. I saw overlord purple rainbow a few weeks ago who was here from the start. A bunch of others only post at RC because they thought the board turned to shit and because of the moderation. I don't know what happened to the others, but they probably just got too old for photoshopping opeth pics.

Oh yeah, there are a couple of people i'm glad left. A really annoying one called Kushantaiidan and of course NFU who was simply a faggot.

Since 2002. First Opeth album was Blackwater Park. Bought it, listened to a couple of songs and didn't listen to it again for 6 months. Decided to give it another spin. Listened to the entire album this time and was hooked.

I've loved Opeth for a few years now, and yes I have to an extent lost some interest in them. In part that was due to discovering some prog bands (although to be fair I may not have with some were it not for Opeth) that have been borrowed from, but mostly it has just been seeing members leave and the band getting worse, either (probably) as a result of that or something else. The new songs I have heard from Watershed have left me so disenthused about the album it is unreal, and while I will still probably buy it at some point, it will just be as something to pick up whenever rather than a pre-order rush.

Essentially: :(

I've known them for 2.8 years (aprox hehe) and I'd say love them for 2.

Won't ever stop. I don't like metal as much these days but I love Opeth just as much. They're just Opeth... You can't not like opeth.:zombie:

+1. ive never been that much into the metal thing, with a handfull of exceptions, but Opeth is Opeth...and as nadavnaz said, you cant not like opeth

Heard them in late 99. But I wasn't into metal at all yet, so after a few years when I was more so into metal I learned to appreciate all of their stuff, whereas originally I was only into songs without death vocals. I have been heavily into them since 02.

I can't remember when exactly I first got into Opeth. I know that it was either late '04 or early '05.

In any case, my first experience with them was Blackwater Park. I didn't understand all the buzz about it at first. I listened to it a few times over a couple of days. I liked "Bleak," but that was it.

I shelved the album for a week. Then I couldn't stop thinking about all of the raving about Opeth that led me to buy the album in the first place, and I examined it again. "How can so many metal fans be wrong?" That's what I was thinking.

Well, I fell in love. I've always been that way; if a widely acclaimed album or movie or novel doesn't sit right with me, I try to figure out why it worked for so many other people. Many times, this leads to me "getting" something. I'm not a sheep, though - if I can't understand the appeal of something in a reasonable amount of time, I'll stop trying and just realize it isn't for me. I like to keep an open mind, but you can't get a person to like anything and everything.

Anyway, I immediately bought Deliverance and Damnation. A few months later, I picked up Ghost Reveries right when it came out. I slowly picked up the rest of their back catalogue. I thought they were my favorite band ever.

My favorite Opeth albums, in order:

1) Ghost Reveries
2) Still Life
3) My Arms, Your Hearse

I will admit, though, that there have been long periods where I had grown bored with Opeth. By the middle of 2006, I'd picked up all of their albums, and for most of 2007 I thought I'd gotten over them. Maybe they weren't my #1 band of all time after all. Maybe they were just a fling. Even my favorite songs didn't seem to be doing anything for me anymore.

Then, this last December, I threw in Ghost Reveries on a whim. It was glorious, even better than before. Same with Still Life, and, heck, even some of my lesser favorites like Morningrise.

I realized what caused my problem: I loved Opeth so much, that I practically listened to them almost exclusively through 2005 and 2006. I wore out those albums, hardcore.

Amazingly enough, though, it only took a year break from Opeth to love their stuff more than ever. Yeah, I can say for sure now that they're my #1 band. I'm cautious about listening to them too often now, and it pays off.

To the OP:

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of people do seem to fall head-over-heels in love with Opeth, then forget about them a year later. I think those people just overplayed the music, like what happened to me. It's kinda hard not to listen to one of their albums over and over and over again when you first hear them, and that leads to massive burnout.

Opeth is the one thing that i can count on to be consistently awesome in my life. I've loved Opeth since MAYH and never stopped.

a lot more than 2 years!
Thats what happens when you go crazy and do tattos etc! you have to take it easy sometimes! I had my monthly breaks with opeth.

Exactly, I got into Opeth way too much at first. Don't get me they are still one of my top bands. I do have an Opeth tattoo, but when I first started listening to Opeth I was going through a hard time in my life so I guess it's not completely pointless.

I bought BWP on a whim right after it came out. Been loving it ever since. I cannot say I get tired of them, every so often I'll go through a dry spell were I don't really listen to them all that much. But that's only because I play them out every so often or I'll become obsessed with another band for a few months. Hell, that's Opeth's fault, listening to them has totally changed how I listen to other music (even if it's something in a totally different genre like Massive Attack or Flogging Molly), if it wasn't for Opeth, I don't know what I'd be listening to. That original love for Opeth has never waned and I don't think it will.

Oh and I just don't post all that often anymore, I just lurk a lot. I don't like how negative some people are, whining like little bitches whenever Mikael tries something different (like they don't know what "progressive" means) or being dicks to other posters for no other reason but to just be a dick.

I had listened to Still Life and Blackwater Park and wasn't really impressed (yeah shame on me!), probably because I didn't "get it" ;) So I can't really say I loved Opeth then. But a few months before Deliverance was to be released I found myself really anticipating it, so you could say that that was when I started to love Opeth. Then I saw them at Graspop 2003 and ever since then they have been my favourite band!

..and i am not a fan of the production.. Too quiet and weak.
Quiet? You do have a volume knob somewhere in the listening chain I assume.

Quiet is a HUGE plus in my book anyway, typically means it hasn't been totally ruined by compression, although Ghost Reveries isn't particularly compression free by an means. I think GR has my favorite production of any Opeth album, including what I've heard of the latest, which is more compressed then almost anything I've heard in years. :erk:

:Edit: On topic, been a huge fan for maybe 3 years, though I have no idea of a specific time frame.

Been hooked since 2001. Never forget the first song I heard was Serenity Painted Death. Had to run out and buy that album.

I listen to Opeth atleast a couple times a week. Dont really see me not being a die hard fan anytime soon.

Hell, I still get all excited when I hear a new track for the first time.

It's been some 4 or 5 years since I heard Blackwater Park (the song) for the first time. First I thought that it was pretty experimental and exciting but I didn't care for it too much. Then I heard Harvest and I was pretty confused. "wait.. this is the same Opeth?". I liked the songs but still didn't have too much interest in buying their albums.

After a year or so one of my friends said something like "have you heard Opeth? they are the best!" and he played Master's Apprentices to me. I didn't like it at all at first. I felt that the first riff was very boring and uninspired. After that I listened to the whole song but I was still haunted by my preconception of the song. I got some of their albums for me to listen and after I while I realized that the band was nicely growing on me. And it didn't take too long for me to realize that Opeth was my favourite band.

When I really started to like Opeth I just listened it all the time. At first Blackwater Park and then I got into Deliverance and Damnation and then Still Life. But then again it took some time for me to get into the first three albums, especially Orchid and Morningrise. So I listened to Opeth all the time until Ghost Reveries came out. I wasn't sure if I liked the new album or not. Later I realized that it was a grower album for sure but the song writing for me seemed very different from the past albums. It didn't feel so safe and familiar to me. Although I could hear that the band felt very safe about the sound and the songs. And at first I was really sceptical about the keyboards but I now they are a natural part of Opeth for me. After the album was released I went to see Opeth three days in a row. I enjoyed it a lot and it made me listen to them more and more again. During 2005-2007 I saw them seven times but the festival gigs I've seen Opeth play were pretty lame since they it's not so intimate and the setlist is like 5 songs or so.

After listening a lot of Ghost Reveries it started to slow down and I wasn't listening to Opeth every day anymore. And it has been like that since then. Every once in a while I grab one of their albums and listen to it but not so often. It depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I notice that I haven't listened to them in couple of months.

So for me Opeth has been a slow grower at first but it has made me a solid fan for the last 5 years or something. I'm not someone who listens Opeth all the time but I do when I get the feeling. I always enjoy seeing them live and get excited when a new album is coming out.

Now I'm pretty sure that when Watershed comes out I'll start listening to them more again. I haven't heard any of the new songs and I won't listen to them before the album is released. From Watershed I'm expecting something that Ghost Reveries was missing. I don't know what it is but I'll notice it if it's there. Maybe it's the older Opeth vibe that I felt was "missing" because of the different kind of producing on Ghost Reveries. But the truth is that it's not a negative thing at all since a band has to evolve to stay fresh. I don't know what the vibe will be like but I'm sure that it will be something new and worth listening.

So that's pretty much it. Sorry for the long post :headbang:

Quite the same story as wut wut, for me.

I bought Ghost Reveries without knowing anything about the band (I mostly listened to trance/electronic music before), because I fell in love with the cover ^^ then I listened to it a few times, finding it "cool" but a bit violent. (Yes, I'm a noob).
I remember one night, I could sleep so I took my mp3 player and chose Ghost Reveries. It's been like a revelation, and I said to myself : "how can music be so repulsive for people who don't know it, and so beautiful for those who persist in listening to it?"

Since that day, I bought every album of the band (I just need My Arms, Your Hearse to complete my collection), and I still need to listen to GR once in a week. It's a bit of a cure when I don't feel that good.