Have you LOVED Opeth for more than two years?

Well, one thing this thread has done is make me want to listen to "Still Life", "BWP" and "Deliverance" again while I spend some time studying. Hell I might even fire up "Damnation" and "GR" even though I only class them as average albums.

Seems a lot of people here weren't really metal fans before discovering Opeth which is interesting. I never thought of Opeth as a gateway into metal. Shit it took Def Leppard, Dire Straits and Bon Jovi to get me into loud guitars!
And I don't mean to knock the band, as I do still enjoy their music and appreciate the real quality songwriting and musicianship - I think I just saw them as the greatest band in the history of the universe at one point, then came to think they're not really as good as all that after all.
Now Jethro Tull on the other hand...they never lose their attraction!

shit post

anyways, to answer the question, I loved Opeth for a damn long time, used to spin either Still Life/Morningrise/BWP/MAYH everyday for a good 2 years. but since GR came out, I haven't listened to much of them. i still consider myself a fan, hopefully Watershed will rekindle it for me.

I'm like the exact same way... Was rabid into them from when I found out about them right after BWP was released up until GR, their still probably overall my favorite band but I dont listen to them nearly as much as I used to, not a big fan of their last 3 CD's (Dam/Del/GR, thought they're still good overall CD's) is probably what caused it. I'd kill for another MAYH, SL, BWP album. Watershed sounds promising from the 2 songs so far, but GR was the same before it came out so we'll see I geuss.

If you get sick of Opeth it simply means you listen to them too much. 2 days from now it will be 2 years since they blew me away at Luna Park.
I have listened to SL way too much and it is in danger of being killed by overplay. Similarly with the other albums (except Orchid which has exponential replay value).
And I love Opeth, not just their music. And I miss Peter, not his music, but him.

I've been listening to them for 2 years, and loving them for 1 1/2 years. They were the only reason I registered to Ultimate Metal, since I'm not really a metal fan, I can safely say Opeth are the only metal band I love (and I like early In Flames, only other "true" metal band I like). I came across them while I was looking for long songs, and I saw Black Rose Immortal. I wasn't too much hooked, but after a few spin I found myself playing it more and more. And I bought all the albums. Ghost Reveries was the last one I bought, didn't like it at first, but then it grew on me. Now it's losing interest again...

Opeth has been on my favorite band top 3 for 4 years more or less. Deliverence was the first album I bought. I'm sure they will be a band I can really enjoy listening to for many many years ahead. I'm not a die-hard fan, but I buy pretty much everything they release.

Hell, that's Opeth's fault, listening to them has totally changed how I listen to other music (even if it's something in a totally different genre like Massive Attack or Flogging Molly), if it wasn't for Opeth, I don't know what I'd be listening to. That original love for Opeth has never waned and I don't think it will.

Same here. Opeth simultaneously got me listening to softer music and heavier music. Now I'm branching off into all kinds of crazy genres.:p
In fact, I think listening to Opeth also convinced me to finally start learning drums.

well, i've been a hardcore fan for several years now, but the "die-hard" factor is like a rollercoaster... but, in times like this, when its time for a new release, the "die-hard" rollercoaster is certainly on its way up!! i think it will always be that way until they stop releasing albums.
Opeth will always be "one of those band" though, i will keep listening to them for the rest of my life..

I imagine you in your 85 B-day smoking a cigarette listening to Demon on the fall or something, head banging lol :headbang:

Gëist;7185899 said:
Are you talking about skillfulness, or did you just find other bands that you prefer?

No I just got carried away with how much I was enjoying their music. But the enjoyment wore off heavily after a while, to the stage I rarely listen to them at all any more.
They're the only band this has happened with, and I've been listening to metal for about 18 years.

It's gone from total love to pretty much indifference.

I've been a fan since 1995 when I first heard Orchid. When they released My Arms Your Hearse, they changed their sound. I wasn't ready for it yet, so I lost interest for a while, but listened to it again later, fell in love with the new sound and have continued to love their music ever since.

I became a fan back when Blackwater Park first came out, though the first song I heard was from Still Life. I was on some random metal forum and the topic was orgasmic musical moments or something like that, some guy listed the jazzy interlude in Moonlapse. I listened to the song and liked everything except the growling, but of course that grew on me. About 6 months later I listened to Moonlapse again, The Twilight is My Robe, and I think Benighted, and I started to understand the music more until I purchased Blackwater Park. From that point on things just sort of snowballed until their entire discography was a constant in my musical world. Beyond excited for Watershed!

I became a fan a year ago. Opeth played at Roskilde Festival 2006, and i bought MAYH and Deliverance a few months prior...
Been hooked on them ever since! I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, but Opeth is my favorite band, and has been for almost a year now... I can't imagine my musical life without them, they have inspired me so much regarding my writing music and stuff...

F*ck it, I'm pretty drunk... Opeth rule!

Loved them since I first heard The Drapery Falls. It was definately not my style of music back then, but upon hearing it, I was hooked. I'd be inclined to say that Opeth have changed me in that aspect for good.