He's really quite yellow, isn't he? (my tale of Heathen Crusade)

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Without further ado, and not to be exclusive, I just didn't want my pics and/or write-up to be lost in the other thread. Anyway, I have a LOT to add to this thread, so please wait until I'm done uploading all the shots & writing up my little tale (should be about 5 total posts). Thank you and I hope you enjoy reading it/looking at the pics as much as I enjoyed fucking rocking my nuts off.

Also, some of the pics really aren't that good. I wasn't willing to fight my way to the front, I was simply more concerned about having a good time and thrashing my head off. So here's my Heathen Crusade weekend, warts & all.

Day 1, Friday, January 20, 2006:
Got to Minnesota with General Zod & JayKeeley at roughly 8 PM CST, hopped a cab and made it to the airport to meet up with Dark One. We weren't there but 5 minutes before I was outside smoking a butt with 2 of the guys from Moonsorrow - Mitja Harvilahti (guitars) and someone who's name I forget, but was filling in for Henri Sorvali (guitars), their primary songwriter - and Kimmy Sjolund (bass) from Thyrfing. As it turned out, Henri had just had a child with his wife and wouldn't fly to the U.S., and this "fill-in" plays many many gigs with the band. He was completely shaven except for a Mongolian-looking small ponytail in the back of his head, and he was hammered. Like, really hammered. Hell, they were all smashed. Only Mr. Fill-In was really yellow-like. So JayKeeley uttered the now famous phrase to me, "He's really quite yellow, isn't he? It looks like he eats babies." :lol:

From that point forth he was simply referred to as the Mongolian Baby-Eater.

At any rate, fast-forward through dinner & some beers, we stopped and stocked up with 2 cases and headed upstairs to the 3rd floor (the "band floor") to mingle and have some fun. Well, we partied like fucking rockstars, 'til some people began hitting their beds. Not me.

My UM.com friends, Tomasz & Belgar, finally showed up @ the hotel, and we sat around in the hallway partying with Marko Tarvonen (drums) of Moonsorrow and then I decided to drink a bottle of Jim Beam with Nemtheanga (vocals) of Primordial. Here's some pics of the night's festivities (thanks to Tomasz):

(L to R) Belgar, Gugs, Tomasz
HeathenCrusade01-21-06039.jpg

buncha' peeps in the hall, that's Marko seated on the left side, back to the camera
HeathenCrusade01-21-06032.jpg

yeah, I'm fucking holding court, that's right
HeathenCrusade01-21-06033.jpg

then Nemtheanga showed up to wax poetic on all things political
HeathenCrusade01-21-06036.jpg

That was a lot of fucking fun, and the guys from Moonsorrow are genuinely nice. Nemtheanga is scary, but also very fucking cool.

Day 2, the Heathen Crusade, Saturday, January 21, 2006:
After a hearty Perkins' breakfast (the official Heathen Crusade breakfast stop) and a short time wasted, it was off to the festival.

205-ZodInCar.jpg

We quickly met up with CT_Thrash, Reign_In_Acai and his buddy Mike from Cali. After getting inside, learning the run of the place and staking out some tables to use as "home base," it was time for some fun. I was in no condition to drink yet, and General Zod wouldn't talk to me for 90 minutes due to my getting hammered with Nemtheanga right outside his hotel room w/o waking him up, LOLLERZ.

Enshrined:
Some local kids from St. Cloud, MN, I don't think a single one of them was over the age of 20. But damn if their melodic mix of black & death metal wasn't the perfect 30 minutes to get the blood pumping. Some pics:

206-EnshrinedBand.jpg

207-EnshrinedSean.jpg

208-EnshrinedChris.jpg

209-EnshrinedBand.jpg

Back to the tables, fuck it, it was time to start drinking. And buying merch. And being 177% of a fanboy during the autograph signing sessions.

(L to R) BlackWaterNymph, CT_Thrash, Mike & Reign In Acai, who was already drunk
210-SamCaraMikeJerry.jpg

I honestly didn't pay much attention to Autumn Eternal, and in retrospect, they were quite forgettable. Not bad per se, just nothing standout. No matter, as I was busy getting every single Thyrfing album signed by every single member of the band, minus Henrik Svegsjo (guitars), who somehow managed to miss every single one, lol.

Coupla' drinks later, and it was time for...

Dumah:
I really fucking enjoyed these guys. Heavy fucking metal riff after riff after riff, not terribly far from a more death metal-like version of Dissection. Vocalist Crow was fucking excellent too, featuring both deep growls & high-pitched screeching (not too far from Dani Filth, which I'm sure bugged a few people, but not me). He was wearing black contacts, which freaked me out, but hey, it's metal dude. Also worth mentioning was the bonecrushing headbanging of the twin Kurth Brothers, Mason (bass) & Chris (guitars). These guys were a lot of fun to watch. Some pics:

211-DumahCrow.jpg

212-DumahChris.jpg

213-DumahBand.jpg

214-DumahBand2.jpg

To be continued...remember, please don't post yet! Thanks!

Guys, c'mon, PLEASE do not post. I can not share anything, if that'd be better.

A few more from Dumah:

215-DumahBand3.jpg

216-DumahChris2.jpg

217-DumahMason.jpg

One of the great things about small intimate festivals like this one is how the bands, even the "bigger" names, just hang out with the fans during the other bands' sets & in-between them.

(L to R) Pol MacAmlaigh (bass) from Primordial, Thomas Väänänen (vocals) from Thyrfing, and Ciaran MacUiliam (guitars) of Primordial
218-PolPrimordialThomasThyrfingCiar.jpg

The BRUTAL AMYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
219-BrutalAmys.jpg

Nemtheanga and Thomas
220-AlanPrimordialThomasThyrfing.jpg

Nemtheanga with our own beloved JayKeeley
221-AlanPrimordialJayKeeley.jpg

The Royal Carnage Forum group shot! (L to R) Dark One, JayKeeley, CT_Thrash, General Zod, Reign In Acai, Mike, MadeInNewJersey & BlackWaterNymph
222-RCGroupShot.jpg

No caption necessary
224-SamCaratongues.jpg

Moonsorrow during their signing, with yours truly as honorary bandmember
225-MoonsorrowGugs.jpg

MisterMayhem & kupshi, the fucking kick-ass promoters that made this brilliant show possible
226-MisterMayhemkupshipromoters.jpg

Tomasz & his lovely wife Cyntra
227-TomaszSentra.jpg

While all this was going on, the next 2 bands were hitting the stage (no pics)

Typhus:
They fucking slayed, period. Ripping, raw black metal, but with an ever-present groove throughout, and more headbanging riffing going on than I knew what to do with. It was during their set that I must've drunk at least a 1/2-dozen Jager & Red Bulls. Bought their CD immediately afterwards, because they fucking ruled it.

ToesAreBroken, I mean, Todesbonden:
Honestly, I didn't pay a ton of attention, mostly because the Moonsorrow signing was going on and really, because they didn't do anything for me. Kind of neat, some decent atmospheric uh, something going on, but quickly dismissed & forgotten (by me, at least). Probably means NAD, Erik, Chromatose & Nate will all fucking jizz over them.

And now, we were ready to move onto what I shall term, PART 2, the "big 5."

Novembers Doom:
Paul & the guys get special credit for even making the show due to a massive snowstorm ruining the roads between Chicago & Minneapolis, but goddamn I'm glad they did. I was never a huge fan of this band to begin with. Sold the debut, and wasn't blown away by "To Welcome the Fade." But this past year's "Pale Haunt Departure" renewed my interest in the band, and this live performance sealed the deal. THEY FUCKING CRUSHED. Equal parts aggressive riff-monsters and gigantic doomy skullcrushers, they literally didn't miss a single brilliant note. Paul's vocals in particular were just so fucking good. He's clearly joining the upper echelon of death metal vocalists, and he's a kickass guy ta boot (more on that later).

Setlist (courtesy of Paul Kuhr (vocals):
The Pale Haunt Departure
Not the Strong
With Rue and Fire
Autumn Reflection
Lost in a Day
In the Absence of Grace
Dark World Burden

Some pics:

228-NovembersDoomPaul.jpg

229-NovembersDoom.jpg

230-NovembersDoomVito.jpg

More to come...

...unless of course you guys would rather keep posting instead?

Max, I am going to kill you. PLEASE DO NOT POST UNTIL I'M DONE.

More shots of Novembers Doom:

231-NovembersDoomBand.jpg

234-NovembersDoomPaul2.jpg

235-NovembersDoomBand2.jpg

236-NovembersDoomBand3.jpg

237-NovembersDoomPaul3.jpg

My buddy fretwork (username from another BB) & I
238-EdGugs.jpg

fretwork, yours truly & our other buddy chico72 (Joe, another friend from same other BB)
239-EdfretworkGugsJoechico72.jpg

The Chasm:
I almost feel bad. Novembers Doom kicked my fucking head in, and I was BOMBED at this point. Plus my buds had just got there, so really, I didn't pay too much attention. I know the band & their music well-enough, and when I did pay attention, they sounded tight and aggressive, lots of guitars of course, and the crowd was way into them, but for me personally, they were almost forgettable because I simply didn't pay enough attention. Got a couple of crappy pics though:

240-TheChasmBand.jpg

241-TheChasmBand2.jpg

243-TheChasmBand3.jpg

245-TheChasmBand4.jpg

Being that we were only 15-20 minutes away from the bands we ALL flew to Minneapolis to see, combined with the fact that we had all been downing liquor drinks (fuck beer, lol) at an alarming rate, this was the point of the fest I shall term "I love you, man."

JayKeeley & Dark One
246-JayKeeleyDarkOne.jpg

(L to R) Brutal Amy #1, General Zod & BlackWaterNymph
247-BrutalAmy1ZodSam.jpg

Mike, utterly shithoused, now pay attention, it's about to get good (few pics down, lol)
248-MikeDrunk.jpg

(L to R) Joe from Omaha, General Zod, JayKeeley, Larry Roberts (guitars) of Novembers Doom, & Dark One
249-JoeOmahaZodJayKLawrenceNovDoomD.jpg

To be continued...

Someone *cough* Mike *cough* can't hold his liquor, 'cause here it comes!
250-MikePuking.jpg

Ewww, the end result
251-MikePuked.jpg

Oh wait, wrong, Mike's not done yet
252-MikePukingMore.jpg

LOLLERZ, gotta love it

Thyrfing:
Ahhh, finally, it was time. No more hanging about the back, no more anything except MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SINGING, YELLING, HEADBANGING, and of course, AIR GUITAR! Thyrfing came out and took no prisoners, tearing through classics off every single album. My personal highlight was "Way of the Parasite" from Urkraft, though really, they didn't play a single bad song. Converted my 2 friends too, who'd never heard them before. Needless to say, the crowd was going fucking ballistic, none moreso than General Zod, who was A) shitfaced beyond belief, B) sweating like a cold beer on the beach in July, and C) yelling "I'm buying every album ever" in my ear every 7 minutes.

Thyrfing setlist:
Voyager
Far at Helvete
Jag Spar Fordarv
Digerdoden
Host
Sjalavrak
Mjolner
Ways of a Parasite
Raven Eyes
From Wilderness Came Death
Kaos Återkomst

Some pics:

253-ThyrfingBand.jpg

255-ThyrfingThomas.jpg

256-ThyrfingBand2.jpg

257-ThyrfingBand3.jpg

258-ThyrfingThomas2.jpg

261-ThyrfingThomas3.jpg

262-ThyrfingBand4.jpg

263-ThyrfingHenrik.jpg

And finally, courtesy of my friend Tomasz, here's what I personally thought of Thyrfing
HeathenCrusade01-21-06012.jpg

They definitely played "Raven Eyes," "Mjollnir," "Host," "Jord," and uh, a bunch of other stuff. The addition of clean vocals really brought them the songs to life as well. So fucking good, I was worried I didn't have any energy left in the tank, and we still had Primordial & Moonsorrow to go!

To be continued...

MadeInNewJersey said:
Needless to say, the crowd was going fucking ballistic, none moreso than General Zod, who was A) shitfaced beyond belief, B) sweating like a cold beer on the beach in July, and C) yelling "I'm buying every album ever" in my ear every 7 minutes.
A quick clarification. I said, "I'm buying every Thyrfing album ever." And I think it was closer to every 9 minutes.

Zod

Primordial:
Now, strangely enough, they were the band of the "big 3" that I was least excited for, but only because I'm such a fanboy for Thyrfing & Moonsorrow. Now, with that said, Primordial fucking destroyed my every single perception of what a metal band could possibly deliver. It was the single most emotional, passionate 60 minutes of music I have ever witnessed. Nemtheanga was born to be a frontman, as he quite literally had the crowd in the palm of his hands from the moment the lights went out. Be it his commanding presence, his "primordial" war paint, or his soulreaping vocals, my jaw was hanging open for the better part of their set. I think they played "Spirit the Earth Aflame," "Autumn's Ablaze," and maybe "Gathering Wilderness," but it was the 4 songs they chose to close the show with that literally blew my mind. In order, we got "A Journey's End" followed by "The Coffin Ships," during which I nearly fucking cried it was so passionate, followed by the most ripping "Gods to the Godless" I've ever heard, followed by one of their oldest, most aggressive tracks, "To Enter Pagan," during which I caught all of Thyrfing in the crowd rocking their faces off with everyone else. Some pics:

265-PrimordialNemtheanga.jpg

266-PrimordialBand.jpg

267-PrimordialCiaran.jpg

268-PrimordialPol.jpg

269-PrimordialNemtheanga2.jpg

270-PrimordialBand2.jpg

271-PrimordialNemtheanga3.jpg

272-PrimordialBand3.jpg

273-PrimordialBand4.jpg

274-PrimordialNemtheanga4.jpg

276-PrimordialNemtheanga5.jpg

277-PrimordialPolNemtheanga.jpg

278-PrimordialNemtheanga6.jpg

280-PrimordialBand5.jpg

281-PrimordialNemtheanga7.jpg

A few more from Primordial coming up...

....more pics

282-PrimordialCiaran2.jpg

284-PrimordialSimon.jpg

285-PrimordialNemtheanga8.jpg

286-PrimordialBand6.jpg

ha ha, look at Zod rocking out in this one (lower left corner)
287-PrimordialBand7ZodThrashing.jpg

As soon as they were done, I took the opportunity to go bother Thyrfing into posing for a picture with me
288-ThyrfingGugs.jpg

Most everyone was completely wiped out by now, and Dark One, JayKeeley & General Zod all claimed they were going to hang out in the back to just check out Moonsorrow. LOSERS. Ha ha, it didn't last long. :cool:

Moonsorrow:

As soon as the 1st notes of "Jumalten Kaupunki" off Kivenkantaja began, I ran back to the crowd area, as I wasn't about to miss a second more of this band's 1st-ever U.S. appearance. For the next 75-80 minutes (yep, they played well beyond their allotted 1 hour set), I alternated between being completely transfixed by their lively, energetic stage presence, their insanely epic music, and the sheer joy they brought to the crowd. I mean, have you ever danced during a metal show before? Well it was impossible to not headbang, dance & pump your fist in the air throughout this entire set. It took all of about 8 minutes before Dark One & JayKeeley realized how good they were, coming up to join me in the festive metal fun.

Quite simply, they fucking crushed live, and IMHO, slightly surpassed Primordial as the band performance of the evening. That's how good they were. The show of my lifetime, bar none.

Their setlist:
Jumalten Kaupunki
Sankarihauta (ask anyone I was with, I literally sang this song's melody for about the next 24 hours)
Kylan Paassa
Pimea
Kivenkantaja
Unohduksen Lapsi
* can't read the handwriting
Ukkosenjumalan Poika

Some pics:
290-MoonsorrowBand2.jpg

291-MoonsorrowBabyEater.jpg

292-MoonsorrowMitjaVille.jpg

293-MoonsorrowBand3.jpg

294-MoonsorrowMitja.jpg

me w/ Belgar, rocking out
295-GugsSebastianBelgar.jpg

(L to R) fretwork, chico72 & yours truly, also rocking out
296-EdfretworkJoechico72Gugs.jpg

JayKeeley & Dark One, still rocking out
297-JayKeeleyDarkOne.jpg

15 more pics and we're done...

Gugs said:
and General Zod wouldn't talk to me for 90 minutes due to my getting hammered with Nemtheanga right outside his hotel room w/o waking him up

I would have shot you in the fucking face :tickled:

JayK, I know this Agalloch shirt you wear is pretty unique and stuff. I'll pm you my address right now all right.

Great report guys, you need to fly across the ocean soon and meet up with us Euroniggas at some pagan fest in Slovakia or something.

Moonsorrow:

298-MoonsorrowBand4.jpg

300-MoonsorrowVille.jpg

301-MoonsorrowVille2.jpg

303-MoonsorrowBabyEater2.jpg

304-MoonsorrowBand5.jpg

305-MoonsorrowVille3.jpg

307-MoonsorrowBand6.jpg

308-MoonsorrowMitjaVille2.jpg

309-MoonsorrowBand7.jpg

310-MoonsorrowVille4.jpg

311-MoonsorrowBand8.jpg

And that was all she wrote. Couple more pics of the RC Forum gang as we caught our breath after the show.

313-GangsAllHere.jpg

314-GangsAllHere2.jpg

back at the hotel, that's Paul from Novembers Doom off to the right
315-GangsAllHere3.jpg

What more can I say? I had more fun than I even thought was possible. From the organization of the festival, to the (lucky) weather we got considering it was Minnesota in January, to the countless hours spent drinking with the fellas from Moonsorrow, Thyrfing, Primordial and Novembers Doom, to the cool people we met from all over the country, and of course to the promoters and fans for making this fantastic, HAILS TO HEATHEN CRUSADE.

I've been to Wacken. I've seen Iron Maiden 5+ times. I've seen Blind Guardian, Angra, Edguy & Gamma Ray's 1st-ever shows on American soil. I saw Queensryche open for Metallica on the And Justice... tour.

Heathen Crusade was the best concert I've ever been to. Thanks to all involved, especially you RC Forum members, both my best fucking friends, and my new ones. :worship:

I fucking hate all of you. Although I have hung out with my fair share of metal stars this probably top it.

Well, I sure regret not going to that. You all could have watched my blow my load over Moonsorrow, but you also would have had to buy me alcohol.

Hails to your efforts Mark - great, great job at truly capturing the spirit of a truly magical weekend. I'll never forget it and I know many others I've spoken to feel the same way. If this becomes an annual event and the rosters remain as strong as they were this year, this will easily become THE festival I look forward to on an annual basis. I love ProgPower to death, but this is the music I live for, plain and simple. Also, the intimate, yet epic atmosphere of such a small venue in "whereamI?"ville Minnesota added to an experience that not even the mighty Euro-festivals can replicate.

To kupshi, MisterMayhem and everyone else responsible (including the amazing sound technician) for putting this event together - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Mark, I knew from the word go that something special was in the works and I can't thank you, Ali and Greg enough for doing what it took to share in the experience with me. A new standard has been set, one that I can't imagine being surpassed any time soon.

Royal Carnage 2007 anyone? If we all work together, I know you can put it on Mark. :)

Jason

Yeah, I should mention that too, Mark. You did an awesome job documenting this. You sort of get a feeling of involvement, so I'm quite gracious.

MadeInNewJersey said:
In order, we got "A Journey's End" followed by "The Coffin Ships," during which I nearly fucking cried it was so passionate, followed by the most ripping "Gods to the Godless" I've ever heard
I know how fucking fanboygay it sounds, and I'm sure it had something to with the bottle of Stoli I consumed, but I've never come closer to tears than during "Gods to the Godless".:cry:

Zod