Hex Omega appreciation thread

When I first heard it, I was a little disappointed because I was expecting a devasting album closer, but Opeth wouldn't be Opeth if they didn't consistently defy expectations. Now I love it, and can't imagine the album ending any other way.

Hex Omega is perfect, not too massive. A clever song that requires full attention to open.

+3

Actually, that's what I really love about Watershed, I think the whole record really requires full attention to open! TLE is still my favorite, but Hex is definitely in a strong second place for me. Fantastic closer! :kickass:

I really feel the odd one out on the new album. I only like Heir Apparent and Burden (minus the ending) off the new album. And Hessian Peel has some moments, but other than that, it fell flat I think. And I've tried listening to it thousands of times. I especially don't like Hex Omega and The Lotus Eater...
You are definitely not alone, I agree.

In reguards to Hex Omega, it is as fragmented and incoherent as Mikael has ever written. Don't get me wrong, it does quite follow the "intro-verse 1-chorus-verse 2-chorus-interlude-outro" structure, but there are few transitions (and even fewer that work). It seems like a conglomerate of riffs put together. In addition, I don't feel it really GOES anywhere. What emotion am I supposed to feel? Anger? Sadness? Rage? Desolation? Not really feeling anything...

Oh, and the outro riff, IMO, is horrible--probably the worst way (IMO) that any Opeth album has ever closed. First of all, there is scarsely a transition into it...it just happens. Second, it's ugly, slow-moving, and quite frankly anti-climatic. Really doesn't fit the song at all. Not a fan.

Isolation Years...now THAT was a closer. Not that all Opeth albums have to end on a soft note, but something that really leaves you with a feeling of conclusion or sadness or loss. Hex Omega really doesn't do that for me. Oh, and the organ use was soooooooooooooooooooooooo overhyped! Wow, one-long, drawn-out chord...good job. I wanted to hear a super evil riff that was truly capable of destroying a church organ.

Meh.

You are definitely not alone, I agree.

In reguards to Hex Omega, it is as fragmented and incoherent as Mikael has ever written. Don't get me wrong, it does quite follow the "intro-verse 1-chorus-verse 2-chorus-interlude-outro" structure, but there are few transitions (and even fewer that work). It seems like a conglomerate of riffs put together. In addition, I don't feel it really GOES anywhere. What emotion am I supposed to feel? Anger? Sadness? Rage? Desolation? Not really feeling anything...

Oh, and the outro riff, IMO, is horrible--probably the worst way (IMO) that any Opeth album has ever closed. First of all, there is scarsely a transition into it...it just happens. Second, it's ugly, slow-moving, and quite frankly anti-climatic. Really doesn't fit the song at all. Not a fan.

Isolation Years...now THAT was a closer. Not that all Opeth albums have to end on a soft note, but something that really leaves you with a feeling of conclusion or sadness or loss. Hex Omega really doesn't do that for me. Oh, and the organ use was soooooooooooooooooooooooo overhyped! Wow, one-long, drawn-out chord...good job. I wanted to hear a super evil riff that was truly capable of destroying a church organ.

Meh.

After first time listening watershed i thought that whole ending 2 songs was uninteresting and weird.But,surprise!:lol:Now i really like both hessian peel(which is not easy likeable IMO) and hex omega-it's not as special as blackwater park though i think it's very climatic and nicely ends the album-like isolation years.Tell me now,what's wrong about the final riff?It sounds great and leaves me in thoughts after listening to watershed.
E:It used to leave.Now i must get to know the bonus tracks better.

I am just immensely glad that things finally started to click with this album,after the first couple of listens I was truly disappointed as I,like others noted,found only sparse pieces of interesting music that grabbed my attention,but it definitely is a grower,this album.

Who cares if it is the best song or not. One gets crazy thinking about it. The main point is to enjoy the song or not. And how can one compare Heir and Hex? Totally different songs and moods.
I adore Hex! I am oriental guy and I can feel this song. And I feel like I have some siesta drinking hot green tea with close people while listening this song.
I feel like I am in heaven.
I have the emotions like in Zepps Kashmir more or less.

Man I adored Watershed on the first listen. Burden is my least favourite (it's fantastic though) and Porcelain Heart grew on me with time.

Hex Omega is something different, and something legendary.

Hex Omega is a track I simply do not like. It has a very simple structure, part A - part B- part A - part B, the melodies aren't very original, especially the verse I was thinking "where have I heard this before?", there are no growls which would have been perfect on the heavy parts - just as the verse is finished and the heavy riff comes in, I feel there should be an "Aaaoooorraaaghhh!" there...

---rest of the album's good though. But Hex? Nah!

Hex Omega grows on me every time I listen to it. I used to think it was "meh", but then it began to grow on me. My favorite part of it is the awesome outro riff. Genius!

Absolutely adore this song! It's serenely disturbing. I can't think of any other way to describe it.... a perfect ending for Watershed.

The little problem of searching what best song it is, is that you judge them as if they had the same qualities, which is not the case. Every song is pretty good in their own ways, this one too. I like the ambiance, a lot, but it is pretty repetitive and non-brutal. That's not bad points, just difference and whether you like them or not makes it the best (or not) song for you to listen. Anyways.

It's a nice song. Though I keep having the feeling that they're building up to something really heavy, like a huge explosion of music or something of the sort, and it feels a little anti-climatic at the end. But I do enjoy the song.