How did you come across Dark Tranquillity?

A friend sent me Scythe, Rage & Roses quite a few years ago. I bought all their albums at once. Didn't even listen to a second sample before doing so.

And I found out about UM thanks to Opeth.

early 1996, I was moving my forst steps into the world of heavier metal thank to Moonspell's Wolfheart and Paradise Lost's Icon (yeah I know they are not that heavy but at the time Fernando's growls were teh best). I bought a then-great italian metal magazine (Metal Shock) and the album of the month was The Gallery. I was enraptured by the review (even if reading it again with the album it was fairly inconclusive: in there DT were dubbed "a new era for black metal") so I went to my record store and listened to it. the drum intro and the first scream in "Punish My Heaven" bought my soul eternally. in a few days I discovered DT, Opeth, At The Gates and In Flames. I realized Sweden was a beautiful country.

A Friend of mine introduced DT to me. It was 1996 and he went to see Impaled Nazarene. DT played as supporting act. He was totally blown away - imagine: almost ten years ago, the Gallery was just released, that must have been awesome. After that gig he brought the Gallery and i borrowed it from him to check out this band he was so excited about.

i think that was 2002 or 2003 when i was very much into In Flames and someone send me the song "Fabric" and i liked it. so i got the Haven album and got everything else of DT. that times i like In Flames more than DT but now it's the other way round :)

I listened to samples from swedishmetal.net (Not built to last, To a bitter halt [but does your ceiling -part was amazing]) and after that I downloaded something like Not built to last and probably Auctioned but I didn´t like it then (2001 November?/December) and probably got rif of it. Then I ordered Haven, and a month later (I didn´t have much other ways to spend time and probably there was this pure-fucking fanboyism also) I joided UM.
Btw, I discovered my other favourite band Vintersorg (+Borknagar afterwards, ´cause i knew that mr. V was on vocals) from swedishmetal.net also.

My friend sent me "Format C: For Cortex", then I downloaded the whole Damage Done, then bought it and so on... I think it was the year 2002. The friend who sent the first song is actually more into electronic music like hard-trance and such. But for some reason he also liked Dark Tranquillity. :tickled:

ohh I haven't replied to this yet

I was on holidays at a boring town (san miguel de allende) and was sitting in the sidewalk with my brother when this weird guy comes and decides to be our guide for the day, and then invites us to a party in whch everyone was getting high, giving each other tattoos and pissing in corners, and Dark Tranquillity was playing. after that I came home and downloaded Nightfall by the shore of time and later on got Projector as a gift

nice storys
seems noone is dissapointed in discovering DT

in 1995 I started to listen to heavier music, became a heavy metallica-user for years and looked around what was other cool and hard music(as metallicas new album load wasnt "very metal""). I
bought a metal magazine with a cd where I found the Track Jotun by In FLames-I got addicted to this one and started my melodic deathmetal-career. In the review to whoracle they mentioned DT and so I checked them out with The minds I.
I bought this one after hearing the first 3 Songs :OMG:, I knew this was something special, bigger than In Flames or bigger than every other band I knew. Next one was The Gallery(being shocked by the scream of edenspring
-scream death metal newbie scream-ha that was strange I was in the record store, the slow beginning of edenspring and sudenly ahhhrhrhrhh, I said to myself-do you really wants to hear this hard music? ).
I did and skydancer and enter suicidal angels followed.
and with the release of projector I knew DT beated IF as my favorite band for all times.

I found this board in 2001 though the dt-site but I got signed with having a regular internet connection some times later.
and as the In Flames-Board was closed due to stupid reasons:confused: theres just the DT-Board left :headbang:

First time i saw DT on the Clayman tour with In Flames and Sentenced, in Budapest. I went to the concert for In Flames, but the last support band was fantastic... but after the IF gig i forgot the band a little bit. Next year i went over my friend, and we herad a lot of northern music, so DT, too. That was a catharsis... I went straight to the nearest store and bought Haven. After that Projector, Gallery, Mind's I, and in 2002 the Damage Done and the Skydancer (this is my nickname in the hungarian music forums). And the story continues...

I heard DT for the first time when I saw them live in Gothemburg in the summer 2002, they really impressed me, so I bought Damage Done and was stuck. :)

The forum: From their website, but it took me a couple of years to register... I've turned into something of a forum-junkie lately *lol*

I like Nevermore. Back in 2000, Nevermore went on tour with In Flames and Shadows Fall, replacing Dark Tranquillity. Supposedly Century Media didn't want to pay for DT's trip to the US.

As I do before every show I go to that has bands I'm unfamiliar with, I downloaded stuff by In Flames and Shadows Fall. Also figured I'd check out the band that Nevermore replaced on the tour.

I downloaded a bunch of DT songs, mostly from Mind's I and Projector, and they kind of stayed on my hard drive for a long while, except "Therein" and "Zodiajkl Light," which i loved and kept playing over and over. Eventually I bought Projector. Then I downloaded Haven. Loved it, so I bought it. After that, I got all the other albums.

So in sum, if it weren't for a record company cheaping out, I'd probably not discover DT.

Once I had delved a bit into American Metal, I kept hearing about the "Melodic Death Metal Masters" - In Flames. Now this was 3 years ago, so I had no idea who they were. I downloaded their stuff, and was blown away. After sticking with them for a good 3-4 months, I started looking for similar stuff, and DT as well as At the Gates were the big names. Not very exciting but that's how it happened :D

There was no such thing as Kazaa or p2p at all those days, and Internet was something sooooo unavailable, but there was a guy who kindly handed me over The Gallery...

A covermount 4 track CD on Terrorizer (along with Necromantia, Diabolos Rising and erm...Enthroned?) here in the UK about the time that The Gallery was released...

I was raving to a mate about this, who then told me he had Skydancer. I borrowed this from him when I went on Holiday then next week and loved it. Saw "Of Chaos..." in a second hand store and grabbed it.

"Away, Delight, Away"... Hooked. I need say no more...