how many years have you occupied this planet

Almost 34. It great to know that there is younger metal/prog heads out there. All the younger guys and gals around here are either into rap or that mallcore stuff.

I'm 34, got into metal since 1982, an uncle lent me Iron Maiden's Killers, and I discovered prog metal until 2001, with dream theater, then the same year Symphony X's V came to my hands and oh my God.... I just have no words... the sig speaks for itself

Little Rocker said:
13, been listening to rock/metal since around 8, and been into symphony X at around 10.

its good to see young young people like you listening to symph x, it must be hard for you in middle school when your surrounded by crap music.
btw do yourself a favor and if a kid at your school bashes symph x because their not limp bizkit....................put them in the iron maiden and metalize them, progize them too if you have time left.

OK, I'll weigh in.....and the winner for the OLDEST Symphony X fan on this thread so far is ME! I'm 52. Have been listening to prog rock/metal longer than most of you have been alive!

Paul

in 12 days i will have been on the planet for 25 years, and I've been a Symphony X fan, and a member of this forum for nearly 2yrs *time flies..eek*

it's definately cool to see that people of all ages are fans of this music. btw happy birthday to arglebargle :wave:

PMA said:
OK, I'll weigh in.....and the winner for the OLDEST Symphony X fan on this thread so far is ME! I'm 52. Have been listening to prog rock/metal longer than most of you have been alive!

Paul

:headbang::worship:

that's cool. What was your first prog experience?

im 16, 17 on the 13th of february
into syphony x since 14/15 i they were opening up for blind guardian in san fransisco so figured id check em out havent looked back since

....damnit i never got to go to that show ahhh bet it was sick

24, almost 25. Have only known Sym-X for a month now, I'm a newbie but already hopelessly hooked. I never got into metal until August of this year when someone introduced me to Nightwish... now I've heard and become a fan of NW, Sonata Arctica, Evergrey, Sym X, and Stratovarius. More bands to come obviously, but I need time to explore and absorb those first. :)

As for musicianship I want to learn to play electric bass (though some have said it's hard for a girl) but cannot afford it now and probably won't be able to for a couple years... as I'm spending a quarter of my meager student's income on voice lessons. Working towards opera, and I would kill to sing for a metal group.

...ok, I'm done. :D

35, going on 25! :lol:
Been "doing" rock music since 1985, and am a big fan of Prog rock from DT, etc.
My 16 yo son got turned on to Joe Satriani, Neal Schon, and Gary Moore by age 14, and through his friends, learnt of Queensrÿche, and was gobsmacked to learn his "old man" knew and liked them also.
Through him and his friends, I've learnt of Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Nightwish.
Through good ol' forums like this and DT's, as well as Amazon and P2P Apps, I've learnt of the likes of Flaw, Evergrey, Frameshift, Sevendust, IQ, Illusion Suite, Jon Fazzaro, Mynd Ovr Matter, Rhapsody, Scars Of Life, and others.
I'm sure there are others still to learn about. AllOfmp3 seems to be an excellent site to learn of more doing something progressive with rock/metal music.

I'm 18 years and 4 days old.

I've been listening to Symphony X since I was 16, they got me into prog-metal. I liked prog & metal separatedly since I was 15 and 14 respectively.

Teleute said:
As for musicianship I want to learn to play electric bass (though some have said it's hard for a girl) but cannot afford it now and probably won't be able to for a couple years... as I'm spending a quarter of my meager student's income on voice lessons. Working towards opera, and I would kill to sing for a metal group.

...ok, I'm done. :D
hang in there with the bass... my 19 yr old daughter is teaching herself to play (with a little help from her stepfather). she says its not as hard as it looks.