I enjoy Opeth more when I am smoking pot

i think smoking & weed are nasty as well, but if they wanna do it at a gig, that's their thing. i'll be headbanging with enough fervor to clear the air around me anyway.

I can't drink anymore due to my diabetic condiition, so the alternative is marijuana, and I am very respectful of the other people around me. I smoke in my vehicle after I am already at the gig, to not get busted driving on the way. I never smoke pot in the venue, and I do not smoke cigarettes.

I hate drunk idots at the venue as well. I would love a full non mosh opeth show so I could get myself and my girlfriend close to the stage to experience the music the way it was intended to.

Is it just me, or are there any other Bill Hicks fans out there thinking...

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU WHINING LITTLE PUSSIES!

"Ooh, I don't like smoking, and especially that horrible weed stuff..."

Next time you see someone smoking a joint at a gig, tap them on the shoulder, ask for a hit and CHILL THE FUCK OUT!

Plus, yes weed makes all music experiences much better.

That is all.

Now that I joined this particular conversation, I want to expand my thoughts a bit (if anybody really cares):

For one, forget about the legality of marijuana for this discussion.

Pot makes me feel better when I'm sick, and there is no real proof of any pot deaths or pot leading to harder drugs, as opposed to the countless deaths due to drinking.

I always wish people were respectful, but they're not. As far as cigarette smoke, if somebody is smoking legally then I feel I have no right to ask them to stop - I have to leave. At a gig, we all know it's illegal to smoke pot, and for that matter I think smoking in many venues is illegal. I go to a bar where smoking is allowed, I deal with it. Me personally, pot smell doesn't bother me, but, if it's not allowed, it shouldn't be done. Yet, every time I'm at a gig I wish that smoker would offer me up a hit (only happened once).

I find a majority of drunks to be obnoxious. I wish all drunks were like me. I get mellow and quiet and hold up the nearest wall. I basically become a quiet loner when I drink. As far as smoking, there too I become happily mellow. As far as music is concerned, the effect pot has on listening and playing is amazing. Pot and artistic values seem to go hand in hand.

For me, it's not just enjoying Opeth more when high, but from easing tension to making a sour stomach go away, pot has other "values" to me.

Side note: the funniest thing happened to me over Christmas break (and I'm glad it happened). I've known for quite a while that my daughter smoked. I know what a stoned person looks like and how they act - what do you expect from somebody who's been doing it for almost 30 years. I knew my wife discussed smoking with my daughter and for the past year my daughter realized we knew she smoked, but she never knew I smoked. Until xmas. My wife broke the ice with her, so one night I'm in my room, and my daughter comes in with a blunt and asks me to join her. I smile, say finally, and now that burden of both my kids knowing I smoke is behind me. I never told them because they never asked. Plus, I didn't feel I'd be a responsible parent for making smoking seem Ok, even though it really is to me. My son doesn't really like smoking - I've turned him on to scorpion bowls.

I don't believe, if you've never smoked pot before, that you should start. I made that mistake 30 years ago, and I happen to like it. It's not nearly as dangerous as cigarettes or alcohol healthwise (at least not proven), but it's still a drug. My kids know how I feel. They know I like it, yet they know I wish they didn't smoke. I'm always afraid, with their whole careers in front of them, that they could get tested, etc, and have some sort of black mark on them.

Man, maybe I am a bad parent.

I advocate the use of Pot completely. Although, us smokers do need to respect others. As for music,listening when high is perfect. For me doing anything high is the only way to go. Everything is enhanced: sex, food, music, watching movies and of course those great philosophical dicussions. Really, pot is great for a number of physical ailments. There is strong evidence of this. But, a drug(alcohol) that makes people dangerous ,abusive and just plain obnoxious is legal!!What the fuck! The legality of pot needs to be re-evaluted and changed. I'm moving to Amsterdam where I can go to the coffee shop buy some pot or hash and relax. Fuck all you asshole drunks.

Harlequin Forest said:
Is it just me, or are there any other Bill Hicks fans out there

Yes, but I don't smoke, although he was funny I wouldn't do something just because he did. Like dying, I'm not up for that quite yet.

I like everything better when I smoke & that includes Opeth.

Dirge for November is my #1 Opeth stoner song. Some say it's a boring song. To those people I say light up some nice hydro & enjoy

For the ultimate effect I say turn back the clock to "Black Sunday" by Cypress Hill. Damn that album brings back some great memories.

Harlequin Forest said:
Is it just me, or are there any other Bill Hicks fans out there thinking...

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU WHINING LITTLE PUSSIES!

"Ooh, I don't like smoking, and especially that horrible weed stuff..."

Next time you see someone smoking a joint at a gig, tap them on the shoulder, ask for a hit and CHILL THE FUCK OUT!

Plus, yes weed makes all music experiences much better.

That is all.

I'll agree to that. The people complaining really sound like bitches

Blackwater Park sounded different while I was high. I never realled liked The Drapery Falls, it was the song I listened to least on the album. The day after I listened to it while I was high, it became one of my favorites.

MixGrafix said:
There are a few bands that their music just jumps out of the speakers and grab your soul, and to me there are three. Opeth, Tool and Jimi Hendrix.

I have seen Opeth 6 times now, and I have seen Tool 62 times, and Jimi died way before my time, so I had to listen to Jimi live on Band of Gypsies, and you have to experience "Machine Gun" a little mind altered, and listen to the master of the guitar at his finest. WOW

Anyways, I think Tubbs would like TOOL if he could see them live. There shows are amazing. I am a diabetic as well, but not to the extent you are. Yes Tubbs, I am talking directly to you. I hope you can get better, and get a chance to see Opeth, because I would be right next to you, enjoying every second of the show, and they played your favorite song. They are amazing live. And Dream Theatre is amazing as live as well.

So in closing, I want to say that music is freakin great, and you are too.

Leon
Woah... heh. I kind of skipped over this thread at first because of the smoke pot part, but hey, this sounds cool. ;)

Yes my diabetes isn't cool. :erk:

Thanks for the positive remarks though.

Heh... umm.... woah. Uhh... I really don't have anything else to say!

Just leave it at this: :zombie:

miss defni said:
i find that blackwater park ( the track) is the perfect length for a cigarette,the nicotine hits your brain at the same time as the heavy guitarage starts, and then mikael growls and *wow*

beign stoned really accentuates opeth for me too, espectially damnation and a fair judgement.

we turned on blackwater park one night when like 6 of us were in a big circle passing joints around... and it was intense... the part when it goes to the clean interlude for a couple minutes gace us time to start drifting off, then came in with the heavy pat and we were all like "Woah man... opeth rules:headbang: "

we did that with a fair judgement the night before... :lol:

yea Tool used to my favourite band to listen to stoned.. Now its Opeth, Especially I reckon the first two albums because you get that whole "travelling" vibe from them, I mean its hard enough to know where you are in say Blackrose Immortal when your not stoned because no part really repeats itself but when your stoned, its just like a fucking adventure!!

And I agree with Weed been better than alcohol and to quote Bill Hicks: "Pot is a better drug than alcohol. Period"

I mean if alcohol was invented today do you really think it would be legal? A drug that makes you loose all rationality & self-control? HELL NO!!

Don't get me wrong though I love getting drunk as fuck & headbanging to the Funeral Portrait!

hmm I wonder if any of the guys in Opeth smoke pot.
I know bodom do because when I met them in Melbourne they came out the back door in a cloud of pot smoke & they all looked pretty stoned. Was funny!