I miss Peter and Lopez

O P E T H

Old Man's Rock
May 23, 2009
I miss Peter and Lopez already. Peter brought an intellectual side to the band, and Lopez brought latin influences. I'm already wishing for a reunion tour.

what a horrible thread, lopez has been out of the band for more than 3 years and peter like 2. might be time to give up on that reunion tour, as they're both much happier not touring for 200 days a year.

I don't miss either of them really. I think Watershed would've turned out the same regardless if they were in the band or not. Mike wrote all of the songs on Watershed, and it sounds like a natural progression from Ghost Reveries anyway.

Axe and Fred are tight as hell live too. Theres no doubt they are incredible players, for anyone who saw Opeth live this tour, i'm sure they could all tell you how tight they sounded.

I think in general most people get attached to the members who are in a band at the time that the person discovers them. I'm sure people who became fans in the early years (it was BWP/Deliverance era for me) yearn for DeFarfalla or Nordin or something.

Only in the beginning actually. When I first heard MAYH (I first heard Opeth just after they released Orchid) I was like "wtf!!!???". After a while, though, I grew used to the "classical setup" or whatever you might want to call the setup they had for most albums. I do, however, respect that they felt they had to leave the band and the new guys are doing a great job.

^

But really, what? Peter brought an intellectual side to the band? Surely, I'm missing something...

Honestly, I feel the members are interchangeable except obviously Mike. Well, actually, I want to include Mendez. If he left I would be very sad. Maybe it wouldn't affect what happens in the studio that much, though I doubt they'd find a better suited bassist, but their live shows would be very much affected.

^Yeah, Mendez is quite solid!

But I really miss Lopez very much, Axe is fine but thats it. Lopez was great..

Nothing we say or do is going to bring Peter and Lopez back, unless they decide to rejoin the band someday. Both were crucial parts of Opeth's sound, but time moves forward and Opeth still releases excellent music.

I miss Peter and Lopez already. Peter brought an intellectual side to the band, and Lopez brought latin influences. I'm already wishing for a reunion tour.

Sometimes I wonder how many people who cite the "latin influences" point can actually hear and explain said latin influences.

Even better, how many would mention the latin influences if Lopez's last name wasn't hispanic.

/Lopez was awesome
//So is Axe - plus he can keep time