I miss Peter and Lopez

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8329570 said:
Not trying to "tell it how it is"..I mean people interpret music differently.
But I've heard so many "complaints" about whatever Axe not having the "latin jazzy touch" which always makes me go....what?

Thank you. That was exactly my point, which got user O P E T H all huffy and puffy to tell me I'm deaf, if you could ask Mike, and the subsequent Mike0wnage. :D

Lopez was/is indeed a great drummer and he liked some latin music and drummers like Horatio "El Negro" Hernandez, but he never really brought much of those traditional beats into Opeth.

Oh yes, a monster at the drumkit. I still can't get over how much I love the drums on "Deliverance".

And he never listened to jazz as far as I know. Mendez is into some jazz and fusion now like Jaco, Stanley Clarke and Chick Corea. But his favourite musician right now is Astor Piazzola, which I admit is fucking awesome too!

I love "Adiós Nonino" :)

I always wondered what Mikael thought of Jojje Wadenius.. This might be the opportunity to ask, as I don't want to start a new thread about it.
Hope you get back here.

so.. What relation do you have to Jojje Wadenius, both when he played in "Made in Sweden" and his new children-song career?

to keep it on topic I'll say: They both had to leave for a reason, obviously. I don't think it was cause they were not good enough for Opeth.

I love Jojje Wadenius. I have all the Made in Sweden albums which are excellent. I have the 1st Solarplexus album he's on playing bass. Even some Blood, sweat & tears Lp's when he was with them. I love his thing on Kent's "Sverige", when he speaks in the intro.

I have lots of stuff that he played on as well, as a session musician like with Pugh Rogefeldt etc.

I also have a late 70's solo album with him where he's doing another version of "Where do we begin", sadly miles away from the great original.

And his, children songs career is by no means new. I think the first childrens record he did was in '68 or '69, called "Godá godá". I even think The latin kings sampled some stuff from that one. Oh, and he also did the music to the kid shows "Kalles Klätterträd" and "Mannen som inte ville bli stor" cartoons.

Safe to say I'm a fan, yes!
Mike

Time to eat some humble pie. I have most certainly been put in my place. I admit I was wrong. I feel REALLY, REALLY stupid right now. REALLY stupid. And rightly so. I think I really shouldn't be posting at this point. I should shut up and let people post who really know what they're talking about. Obviously I don't. Obviously Mikael does. Sorry, man. I think I'll just go hide.

Nah, keep posting, just so you know here's some latin music:

Every single person down here LOVES that crap :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to eat some humble pie. I have most certainly been put in my place. I admit I was wrong. I feel REALLY, REALLY stupid right now. REALLY stupid. And rightly so. I think I really shouldn't be posting at this point. I should shut up and let people post who really know what they're talking about. Obviously I don't. Obviously Mikael does. Sorry, man. I think I'll just go hide.

yeah that sounds like a good idea.

I havent read a single line from this thread, thank god, Jebus. The current Opeth line up is shit. Bring back Lopez and Lindgren. only joking Mikey , awesome thread

I wonder if people here still want Latin influences on the next Opeth record :lol:

By the by, not missing either member. I hate saying this, but without Akerfelt, there is no Opeth. Everyone else (with the exception of Martin Mendez) is pretty interchangable. Not to say they aren't all great musicians. And I, for one, think Axe is an improvement over Lopez.

My apologies if this offends anyone.

I don't miss either of them really. I think Watershed would've turned out the same regardless if they were in the band or not. Mike wrote all of the songs on Watershed, and it sounds like a natural progression from Ghost Reveries anyway.

Axe and Fred are tight as hell live too. Theres no doubt they are incredible players, for anyone who saw Opeth live this tour, i'm sure they could all tell you how tight they sounded.

amen!
tight as hell :lol::headbang:

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8327567 said:
To be honest, Lopez or Mendez never brought latin music into Opeth apart from the occasional lick. However, they did get me into the arabic style heavily and that's what some of his non-regular-rock drum patterns came from. Arabic music. I am not a big fan of typical latin music to be honest. I like some latino rock bands, but the traditional music never really got to me.

And the whole jazz idea never came from them either. When I met them they ONLY listened to black and death metal. I guess I depraved them somewhat, and later on, Lopez would come up with "hey, this beat is from the eastern part of Syria....dig!"

Very interesting at the time for me. But the idea that they brough latin and jazz influences into Opeth is simply not true.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike, can you tell me when Mendez and Lopez joined the band? Or when you met'em you if can be precise about it

Thanks in advance :)

Lopez joined in 1997 after Nordin quit. He met him when looking for a new drummer.

Mendez joined the same year, but didn't play until Still Life in 1999. He was a friend of Lopez, and he wanted Mendez to join as the new bassist to replace DeFarfalla (I think).

What you describe as latin/spanish music (at least traditionally) is firmly rooted in arabic music. Flamenco makes heavy use of the harmonic minor scale and the phrygian dominant mode, which is also the mode most frequently associated with arabic music. This isn't a coincidence, the muslim people stayed in Spain 'til the XV or XVI century, if I'm not mistaken. The cultural heritage is much more noticed in Spain than in Portugal, because we kicked them out much earlier. Portuguese music isn't as firmly rooted in arabic modes, but it's still influenced.

I personally love Lopez's playing a lot more than Axe's. It has nothing to do with the tightness of the parts played, which I admit Axe holds the upper hand, but rather with the feel the player demonstrates. Axe might be a pretty talented drummer, and he must be very dedicated to his practice. I don't feel Lopez is as tight because he doesn't practice as much. My guess is that what he plays in the studio is partly improvised but has a strong theoric background. The polyrhythms on the last part of Deliverance are theoretically very creative, and he certainly had to practice that many, many times. He would have to had spent some time actually training his muscle memory with that pattern, plus some more time actually putting the part to tape. But a lot of the things he plays are just based purely on feel, with no strong theoric consistency, those are the parts he improvises. Those parts he only practices as he records, and even if it takes many takes to get a part recorded correctly, he still won't have his muscle memory as trained.

And that leads us to the live situation. Since many of the parts were not thoroughtly practiced, but only "played", they don't come out exactly as they played on the record, while stuff he has to practice, come out clean and perfect. Often improvisation depends on the mood of the player. This leads to both unpredictable live performances and to strange moments. One watching the concert might think he has been pretty off all night, but then he breaks out one of the tricky practised parts which makes your jaw drop to the floor. Then again, someone watching him on an "on" night, would get the impression that he is an outstanding drummer.

Axe, on the other hand, had to learn every single one of Lopez's parts by the actual parts he played on the records, which in live performances reflects as him being a lot tighter, and at the same time a lot less spontaneous.