I think I found whats wrong with watershed

Alright, I can get that argument. But Watershed is as much a deviation from the "norm" as Damnation was. D2 contains a continuation of many of the soft-proggy songs explored earlier, like in Blackwater Park and the Still Day LP. But Watershed isn't a "regular" Opeth album - in fact, it blurs the lines of definition that the band set with earlier records. Oboes, man. Oboes.

i wish i had have put it that way :p

Try and figure out my secret code

watershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershedwatershed

I only listen to HA, TLE and HP on Watershed. I'm not that interested in the other songs anymore...

The entire Heir Apparent and the "in you heeeeead"-part of Hessian Peel is more skull-crushing than all of deliverance...

Black Rose Immortal, The Forest of October, Blackwater Park, and The Twilight Is My Robe has x100,000,000 more 'balls' than Ghost Reveries and Watershed. I never could get into Ghost Reveries, they are just not Opeth's sound... Watershed is great in its own special way, I agree with that, but it's not godly like their first two albums IMO. You need so much patience to listen to the first two albums (believe me!), but it's soo worth it in the end.

btw, I'm new :p so hi and everything, I just had to post in this thread; it was suffering rofl

Heir Apparent is probably the heaviest and the most evil song of the band.
But I don't care if album has balls or no. I have my own. I just listen to a good music not thinking about various shit.

everyone loves a good pair of balls

and what does it matter if its balls out or not? it sounds good, and it sounds different to ghost reveries (to me). i have very few complaints

Would you say there was something wrong with Damnation because it lacked heaviness or brutality?

No, but I would say the song structures aren't that interesting on Damnation just like with Burden (although I like to listen to it every now and then).
Damnation is something special, and you just have to listen to it having in mind that there's no death metal riffage going on at all.

As a whole, Watershed sounds relatively happy (yes, I know about heir appartent guys, that's the exception) and at least for me and some people who feel that there's "something wrong" with it, it lacks the dark atmosphere of all other albums I think.
Some blame the lack of growls/heavy parts, some the happy sounding ballads and so on (speaking of balls).

Don't get me wrong, I like the record but as a whole it's just not as dense as the previous stuff.

I admit that I didn't read all the replies.
Well, Watershed has NOTHING wrong,it's a fucking kick-ass album.
I started to really like watershed in the last weeks. Previously I wasn't too happy about it 'cause the album has got less "death" moments than their previous releases.
But - FUCK -,after reading the lyrics and listening with pacience every song you can realize that this album owns.

Heir Apparent is a kick ass song.
The Lotus Eater is a fucking odd and awesome song,probably my favourite
Coil is beautiful
Hessian Peel is something EPIC.

From most reviews I gathered that a general feeling is that Watershed is a brilliant, amazing album, but doesn't give the same kind of goosebumps people had with previous albums (specifically Blackwater Park and Still Life mostly quoted). This is pretty much according to what I already wrote a couple of times about the development of Opeth and about Watershed ...

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Watershed ... it is brilliant on its own, and it also provides an interesting perspective on the future, which nobody can predict I guess. They surprised everyone with every album, but every time people were able to formulate ideas about what is to come (even though they were often wrong, hence the surprise every time), but I think now it is pretty much totally unpredictable what is to come next.

But I must say, brilliant as Watershed is, and even though I play it several times daily, it is lacking a certain amount of catchiness that other albums had (maybe this is related to my above statement). Not per se a bad thing, just very different ... reasons for it might be the higher degree of complexity that Opeth is aiming for, but also less emphasis on melodic aspects of the music (read the interviews before the album came out about the influence of Scott Walker).

Just some random thoughts ...

...As a whole, Watershed sounds relatively happy (yes, I know about heir appartent guys, that's the exception) and at least for me and some people who feel that there's "something wrong" with it, it lacks the dark atmosphere of all other albums I think.
Some blame the lack of growls/heavy parts, some the happy sounding ballads and so on (speaking of balls).

Don't get me wrong, I like the record but as a whole it's just not as dense as the previous stuff.

Partially agreed, and by the way, somewhy I find HA pretty happy too, even if it's the heaviest track on the album and maybe generally Opeth's heaviest, and yes, the atmosphere in Watershed might lack a bit of heaviness or I don't know but it just another Opeth record that came out like this by surprise and unpredictably, but it's what makes Opeth what they are, isn't it?

Oh, and who said you can't be happy AND have balls at the same time? :lol:

No, but I would say the song structures aren't that interesting on Damnation just like with Burden (although I like to listen to it every now and then).
Damnation is something special, and you just have to listen to it having in mind that there's no death metal riffage going on at all.

As a whole, Watershed sounds relatively happy (yes, I know about heir appartent guys, that's the exception) and at least for me and some people who feel that there's "something wrong" with it, it lacks the dark atmosphere of all other albums I think.

Thanks for responding. I tend to agree with you, but recently I "rediscovered" Damnation and really do think it's the masterpiece Mike presents it as. As for the joy, I think Watershed wasn't as happy as Ghost Reveries. Everything on GR sounds really joyful and epic (exception being Isolation Years and Hours of Wealth), and I guess Watershed has some of that too.