Ideological Relevance of Black Metal

I'm saying black metal doesn't encourage structure and order, and to me artists who play black metal seek to escape structure and order in whatever forms those two notions take (which is again why I see Satan type lyrics to be similar to Christian lyrics. Both groups are trying to convince the listener of something. All music is hegemonic and ideologically based etc...). Look at the words we often use to describe black metal: chaotic, frantic, demonic. None of these are synonymous with structure. I suppose this is now getting into semantic and linguistic issues because even if I were to say "We can't base black metal on lyrics and thought. We can only determine a band's genre based on the musical compositions" that's still imposing a form of structure and requiring bands to meet certain requirements.

I'm just going to listen and play music and not give two shits :popcorn:

I often go by my gut to determine whether or not something is X genre. It may be "inaccurate" but with all the loopholes, exceptions, fickle rules and debates such as this one, who's to judge objectively (other than ObscureInfinity)?

It may be a bit optimistic to say that black metal artists are actively fighting the good fight against structure and order when so many of them sound the same.

oh and Krampus, we at ultimatemetal did at one time have a repping system where you could positively or negatively rep someone (similar to upvoting and downvoting)

I see and understand what all of you guys have been saying.You all feel very passionately about a genre of music that is still very new and understood by very few and we all have different meanings/understandings on this form of music.What an awesome e-convo,it's great to hear what this music means to us all and I'm really looking forward to the future(the end).What an unbelievable form of expression/media.I'm just kinda glad to have been witness to it,as i'm sure you all are.:kickass:

oh and Krampus, we at ultimatemetal did at one time have a repping system where you could positively or negatively rep someone (similar to upvoting and downvoting)

I'm glad it was removed tbh. Nip the circle jerk in its tender bud.

@sloughfegkillers yeah man. I can't talk about this shit with my "real" friends ahaha

Good shit metal bro/sis me neither,i'm 33 and basically i chose music over friends,that's how it goes in Tasmania but i'm glad i did,retardedness is the only other option.

Yeah Tasmania is a backwards,fucked up place but it has beautiful scenery and shit.Not much for the fulltime resident apart from reflecting and living life..many artist and such call Tasmania home.I love this place but it's not for everyone.I guess most of you guys would visit once and that'd be it.Amazing prehistoric terrain in some areas...It was obviously a subconcious decision i made in my youth to follow metal and not my friends,that is life but there's not alot of ppl here so you can't exactly pick and chose your friends.I made my choice and am happy.

Anyone who thinks that the original ideologies didn't have any effect on the genre's aesthetics is a massive fucking retard.

I think its retarded to talk about an "original ideology of black metal". There never was one. There were several more or less common currents if you will but no coherent ideology. I mea come on - the genre was created by teenagers who in general, with few exception, has any grasp of any ideology. It was a way to rebel against what is currently seen as acceptable. Nothing else. And te band that coined the term black metal wasnt even serious with any of the shit they wrote about.

Yes, ideology and mentaly shaped the sound of black metal but there is no original ideology and there is no black metal mindset. There is a huge difference on what bands sought to accomplish (Venom, Immortal, Burzum, Dissection or modern stuff like Deathspell Omega, Shining and Drudkh).

And slightly off-topic the big problem I have with Satanism in black metal culture is that it is so dependent on Christianity itself. Sure one can use it as a way of breaking the chains from a religious upbringing but shouldnt you be able to move on? To many people get stuck in critique and rebellion in regards to Christianity and spends less time of doing something contructive themselves (maybe to show everyone that their ways are better). How fun is it to rebel and blaspheme when you dont come up with something properly working to relace it?

The life of Elijah as recorded in the Bible would be great BM material. As I stated before, music is a tool, a "vehicle" if you will, for conveying personal thoughts/feelings, which can be expressed either through the notes alone or with lyrics.

To carry the notion that "Christian" music is christian first and foremost, must be used universally (folk is folk first, pagan is pagan first, satanic is satanic first, etc).

To suggest that one idealogy cannot be expressed with a particular arrangement of notes/atmosphere is rather ludicrous. I will agree certain specific ideas fit better with specific genres, but whole idealogies are vast and vague.

Also, as the insane and KD have suggested, the anti Christian/satanic arguements regarding black metal not only place it on a completely undeserved pedestal, but also puts Christianity on an equal but opposing and unnecessary pedestal.

If lyrics were to determine music it would probably have a name that clearly corresponds with the lyrical content. Anti-christian metal would be metal with anti-christian lyrics - anything other than that wouldnt be anti-christian metal. The same would go for satanic metal, christian metal, ns metal etc.

Black in itself as a word doesnt have any clear ideological connections and therefore you cant really say anything about a clear ideological base in black metal.

Well that's too bad, because plenty of people only toss in lyrics as an afterthought after writing the entire song plus vocal melodies first. Also, arguing whether instrumental music is proper art is bullshit. There are plenty of fantastic metal songs with no lyrics, not to mention classical and jazz.

Regarding the lyric as afterthought: of course it happens regularly, and a lot of the time they don't tend to be very good. But that's also not a very important point in this conversation.

Regarding instrumental or "absolute" music: the debate that I'm referring to occurred in the middle of the 19th century, sparked by post-Bach composers such as Haydn and Beethoven who began to compose with greater frequency purely instrumental compositions free of lyric or libretto. More and more composers began to do so in this period as doing so became more and more lucrative; previously, the majority of composers made their living in the service of the church, patron, and opera house, all of which generally necessitated some type of representational content. The mimetic-representational theory of art at this time was the dominant modus operandi in the aesthetic sphere, with philosophers of the likes of Kant not bequeathing absolute music with the status of art in the sense understood at that time. It was not really until Schopenhauer that things began to change, although he was still fundamentally working under the mimetic standard. Hegel, although he seemingly also sided with Kant, did help in moving away from the mimetic theory and moving toward the expressive theory of art, which assisted in the growing acceptance of absolute music as art proper.

are anti-, non-Christian themes the only the only criteria required for creating black metal?

Of course not. This conversation is more about what is fundamentally opposed to the precepts of the genre and not, rather, establishing a rigid textbook, or checklist as unknown fears, of what constitutes black metal. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is inarguable that the 'ideology' of black metal did evolve from the likes of Venom and Mercyful Fate and Bathory on through Master's Hammer, Root, Varathron, Mayhem, Burzum, Enslaved, and Darkthrone as canonical works that helped to cement the 'form' of the genre itself that, while porous, are not an open sewer drain.

I think its retarded to talk about an "original ideology of black metal". There never was one. There were several more or less common currents if you will but no coherent ideology. I mea come on - the genre was created by teenagers who in general, with few exception, has any grasp of any ideology. It was a way to rebel against what is currently seen as acceptable. Nothing else. And te band that coined the term black metal wasnt even serious with any of the shit they wrote about.

It appears that you are getting hung up on the terminology more so than the actual argument. Obviously when one speaks of the 'ideology' of black metal one references a fairly loose, free-floating collection of somewhat unifying ideas and precepts that have worked to establish a semi-coherent mechanism by which to gauge the verbal content of the genre. It's not like we don't know to whom to look - Venom, Mercyful Fate, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Root, Master's Hammer, Mortuary Drape, Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Enslaved, etc. We know to whom to look when seeking what could be termed the 'core ideals' that helped ferment black metal as a credible artistic movement spanning decades and continents, both in its unity and its variety, as well as in its flights of fancy versus its quest for verisimilitude.

Regarding your comment with respect to the actual musicians, even disregarding the obvious hyperbole and the fact that you are not actually familiar enough with any of them to speak so boldly about their intentions and ambitions, the art and the artist are separate entities. The music stands on its own in what it says. Slayer's music is what it is regardless of Tom Araya's Catholicism, for example. Discrediting the artist as a means of discrediting the art, accordingly, does not work here. And to suggest that the entirety of Venom's catalog is inauthentic because the band members did not actually worship Satan is quite literally misunderstanding the band's significance to the genre. Of course their 'discovery' of black metal as it is today was inadvertent and unintended, but that they sought a (for the time) radical departure from the norm is inarguable.

There is a huge difference on what bands sought to accomplish (Venom, Immortal, Burzum, Dissection or modern stuff like Deathspell Omega, Shining and Drudkh).

I don't know how 'huge' the differences are between all of these bands, but yes, of course there is divergence. Black metal is least among all genres of metal in terms of blanket conformity (though chiefly for musical reasons, especially as necessitated by the development of the 'black metal' sound from fundamentally heavy metal origins).

And slightly off-topic the big problem I have with Satanism in black metal culture is that it is so dependent on Christianity itself. Sure one can use it as a way of breaking the chains from a religious upbringing but shouldnt you be able to move on? To many people get stuck in critique and rebellion in regards to Christianity and spends less time of doing something contructive themselves (maybe to show everyone that their ways are better). How fun is it to rebel and blaspheme when you dont come up with something properly working to relace it?

The society in which we live is dependent upon Christianity itself, and black metal is in large part of reflection and commentary on our society, so it would be disingenuous not to address Christianity, by way of inversion, in the music. Blasphemy is still a valuable tool even in the 21st century.

To carry the notion that "Christian" music is christian first and foremost, must be used universally (folk is folk first, pagan is pagan first, satanic is satanic first, etc).

The difference is that 'Christian' music is normally used connotatively to allude to music created fundamentally for the purposes of preaching the gospel and conversion, with the music coming secondarily. Which is which there is a "Christian Rock" music section, but not a "Satanic Rock" or "Pagan Rock" music section. Obviously there are Christian bands that do not necessarily fall into this connotative "Christian music" classification.

To suggest that one idealogy cannot be expressed with a particular arrangement of notes/atmosphere is rather ludicrous. I will agree certain specific ideas fit better with specific genres, but whole idealogies are vast and vague.

Nobody is suggesting that "one ideology cannot be expressed with a particular arrangement of notes/atmosphere"; rather, what is being argued is as to what that product would be referred, namely Christian music played with black metal aesthetics. The term 'extreme metal' is a more connotatively musically related term, so I wouldn't object to the term "Christian extreme metal."

Also, as the insane and KD have suggested, the anti Christian/satanic arguements regarding black metal not only place it on a completely undeserved pedestal, but also puts Christianity on an equal but opposing and unnecessary pedestal.

To speak of black metal as having limitations on as to what can be conveyed ideologically through the music is by no means to elevate it, as far as I see. Whether or not you or others view it that way I have no control over, but it really is neither here nor there with respect to the conversation I am intending to induce. One's personal likes or dislikes should not enter this conversation at all, to be honest.

If lyrics were to determine music it would probably have a name that clearly corresponds with the lyrical content. Anti-christian metal would be metal with anti-christian lyrics - anything other than that wouldnt be anti-christian metal. The same would go for satanic metal, christian metal, ns metal etc.

Black in itself as a word doesnt have any clear ideological connections and therefore you cant really say anything about a clear ideological base in black metal.

Lyrics for most of music's history were of primary import in a song's essence, and musicians were generally regarded as eccentrics. Your post is evidence of how far music as developed in the past three centuries to the point where lyricism's stature has been reduced to an afterthought, with the prized possession being the poignancy of the string of notes that it accompanies. It is best, however, to go not too far in either direction, but rather to find a balance between the two. The importance placed upon the lyrics varies from genre to genre (within metal and without). Black metal, with its unique evolutionary history, happens to be one genre or subgenre upon which the importance is significant.

Your little explication of the word black is amusing to me, albeit it's irrelevant. The words "left" and "right" have no clear natural ideological connections, yet if you ask somebody whether their views on social politics skew toward the left or right, you will more like than not be able to garner an answer. Likewise, the word "black" has, in the given context of the genre of black metal, been given its own new meanings through its usage, meanings specific to its usage in the term 'black metal.' A black crayon is no more Satanic than you are favoring the death penalty because you turned right. The context of the word is what supplies the necessary meaning.

Dodens Grav

Wow, you my man is like Tom G. Warrior when it comes to pompous language! I quite enjoy it :D

Obviously when one speaks of the 'ideology' of black metal one references a fairly loose, free-floating collection of somewhat unifying ideas and precepts that have worked to establish a semi-coherent mechanism by which to gauge the verbal content of the genre.

So we have a "fairly loose, free floating, somewhat unifying, semi-coherent ideas". Sounds like a sound base in trying to give black metal a solid ideological foundation - or not. This is the thing, and ideology is something that is pretty solid and clear - its not generally an emotional state (which black metal seems to be more than anything to me). The one common nominator seems to be a free floating critique on various taboo themes in modern society. Nothing more and nothing less. This takes such wide and varying shapes that I do not consider it an ideology in itself. Not even a unifying idea since quite often black metal lyrics arent coherent with what they critique and how they do it.

Slayer's music is what it is regardless of Tom Araya's Catholicism, for example. Discrediting the artist as a means of discrediting the art, accordingly, does not work here. And to suggest that the entirety of Venom's catalog is inauthentic because the band members did not actually worship Satan is quite literally misunderstanding the band's significance to the genre. Of course their 'discovery' of black metal as it is today was inadvertent and unintended, but that they sought a (for the time) radical departure from the norm is inarguable.

I kind of read into that a platonic theory of forms of how music can somehow, without the honest intention of doing so, somehow tap into a true form. Like a true expression, a true source of actual black metal.

I said nothing about inauthenticity. And still with the words that describe the meaning of authenticity like "truthfulness of origins, attributions, commitments, sincerity, devotion, and intentions" (yes copied from wiki) you can say that at least the lyrical content of Venom is inauthentic but only if you read into them what they tend to say (worship of sex, drugs, Satan and violence) but not so much if you only regard it as metaphors of rebellion against the societal current. I dont undervalue their imprtance to the genre though.

I don't know how 'huge' the differences are between all of these bands, but yes, of course there is divergence. Black metal is least among all genres of metal in terms of blanket conformity

Well as an example Burzum is quite clearly about returning to our rots and live a more natural life (at least thats what it has become - one can debate the earlier releases). Dissection were actually about opposition t the natural world and as an old MLO (Jons org) document said "we see it as the ultimate purpose to destroy this universe" while Immortal clearly takes more of a Kiss route and I doubt they have any larger intention with an ideology behind the music.

The society in which we live is dependent upon Christianity itself, and black metal is in large part of reflection and commentary on our society, so it would be disingenuous not to address Christianity, by way of inversion, in the music. Blasphemy is still a valuable tool even in the 21st century.

Well in some ways but to blaspheme and not present a good example of what we should be like instead. How can I take anyone seriously that album after album dishes out critique of christianity and then are just a slob in real life. Although not a black metal band per-se Deicide is one of the best examples of this. Or when bands praise wisdom and then rather go out taking drugs and getting drunk rather than pursue named wisdom (unnamed vocalist of prominent swedish black metal band Im talking about you!).

Your little explication of the word black is amusing to me, albeit it's irrelevant. The words "left" and "right" have no clear natural ideological connections, yet if you ask somebody whether their views on social politics skew toward the left or right, you will more like than not be able to garner an answer. Likewise, the word "black" has, in the given context of the genre of black metal, been given its own new meanings through its usage, meanings specific to its usage in the term 'black metal.' A black crayon is no more Satanic than you are favoring the death penalty because you turned right. The context of the word is what supplies the necessary meaning.

No words have "natural" or "platonic" meanings. They all depend on their contex and enviroment according to me.

However talking about political left and right _does_ imply quite clear ideological differences.

"Black" however, in the contex of black metal, doesnt have a clear ideological meaning because the lyrics from all black metal bands (be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation - "true or untrue" :p) differ to much in content and structure to ever give the word black a cohesive meaning. If you ask me how I define political right and political left its a complex but fairly easy question to answer. If I asked you to define the word black and what makes something black in metal music, in regards to ideological content, what would the answer be exacly?

Love, compassion, or any emotion or concept dealing with humanity and community are diametrically opposed to the attitude of black metal.

This brings me back to my point. If what you say is true, how are we to deal with NS black metal bands who openly embrace fascism--a fundamentally collectivist ideology.

I often go by my gut to determine whether or not something is X genre. It may be "inaccurate" but with all the loopholes, exceptions, fickle rules and debates such as this one, who's to judge objectively (other than ObscureInfinity)?

Genres of music are objective.