Introducing ourselves.

Easy: I saw you dropped a hint here and there. If you don't like books, you would never use them as a reference. Like you talked about Tolstoy for instance. we could make a thread about it? Yesterday Ananth asked me about books about the Middle East/ by ME writers. I had to admit I'm not that knowledgable about it. I did read a....
you know what? I'm making a thread :loco:

Hey!

Oh, Tolstoy was into writing NYC-phone-book-thick novels. I wonder what he was compensating for.

I recommend A.B. Yehoshua. I met him in Wisconsin, of all places, b/c his nephew is a prof there. I got to hang out with him until the wee hours of the night. The guy is real! Also important: A fiction (?) writer, his outlook is very OL'ish. He's one of Israel's best writers.

Later!

FS

Thanks for your kind words!!

Hey, man, you found yourself an interesting group of people here. This isn't some gathering-place for fan -boys n' -girls to chatter about what the, uh, guitarist wears, and so on. I was amazed, so I stayed!

Hear my Metalcry! Coincidence, or did you get inspired from the line "hear my orphaned cry" in Mabool? I dig it, however you came about it.

Peace and Stuff,

FS

Oh my gods, FiveString, for recent several months I was the most hyperactive forum member sharing special links etc., and then you joined the community and now I must pass my King of Hypercommunicatia crown to you.

Nice to have you here :)

PS: Yep, I also adore "the Jimmi Hendrix of bass guitar" Jaco Pastorius and maestro slappissimo Les Claypool, and swift-fingered Marcus Miller. And of course there is inventive RHCP's Flea, "9-stringed killerwhale's call" of ChaotH from The UneXpect, arty-fretless Jonas Reingold from Kaipa, post-avant-gardic Andy Johansson from Diablo Swing Orchestra, multifaceted Justin Chancellor from Tool and immortal pastor of muppets Cliff Burton to worship...

BTW, I will never possibly understand why Cannibal Corpse has such a good bassist for such crappy music.

Thank you old man! I'm seriously fla-bbergas-ttered !

I'm seriously enjoying the way you write :worship: Its hilarious yet serious and its like there's a part of you which is a kid waiting to burst out.

Youngster, you have this old man's permission to lift your lower jaw from the pavement. Good :p

Ananth, there's not just a "part" of me that's a "kid waiting to burst out." Most of me is a kid. It's just that the years I've lived have given me extra material (and removed some dumb tendencies) with which to kid around.

Cordially,

Old Man FiveString

Oh my gods, FiveString, for recent several months I was the most hyperactive forum member sharing special links etc., and then you joined the community and now I must pass my King of Hypercommunicatia crown to you.

Nice to have you here :)

PS: Yep, I also adore "the Jimmi Hendrix of bass guitar" Jaco Pastorius and maestro slappissimo Les Claypool, and swift-fingered Marcus Miller. And of course there is inventive RHCP's Flea, "9-stringed killerwhale's call" of ChaotH from The UneXpect, arty-fretless Jonas Reingold from Kaipa, post-avant-gardic Andy Johansson from Diablo Swing Orchestra, multifaceted Justin Chancellor from Tool and immortal pastor of muppets Cliff Burton to worship...

BTW, I will never possibly understand why Cannibal Corpse has such a good bassist for such crappy music.

Dear Postmodernist! Really, you do seem like a dear person.

Thanks for the welcome. Indeed, you now have a hyperactive partner-in-crime. Celebrate! I haven't had the chance to read many of your postings (and, Lord, there are many; you're not a noob any more), but you obviously have many interests and strong beliefs. Oh, yeah, and the obvious: You're smart. Seems to be a common "disease" among the Orphans: IQ.

Oh, the honor, the honor. Your Highness! Not worthy :worship:! No, no, don't give away that which you have earned. Not that. King of Hypercommunicatia? Thank you: It is a most awesome title indeed and I will do my utmost to fulfill my royal duties as well as enjoy the associated perks (hey--what are the perks?!). But you, how about considering the title "Queen of Hypercommunicatia?" Imagine how much damage we can wreak this way :Smokedev: How about it?

I'm edified that you appreciate Jaco, who indeed was the Jimi Hendrix of the electric bass. When the man was already slipping into psychosis, he stated that all he wanted to be was "the Jimi Hendrix of the electric bass." What a poignant statement, considering the state he was in.... Jimi OD'd before he hit 30, and Jaco was murdered by a cretinous bouncer. Sadly, Jaco didn't peak in the '60s, like Jimi, having been born, hmmm, later, so he didn't have the chance to enjoy a few years of hysterical fame. The '70s were "about" disco (Chic not included: Bernard Edwards was a bass virtuoso per all mavens) and really bad rock for the most part, not innovation. Plus, Jaco's stage-presence was quirky rather than mesmerizing. It's tough to be mesmerizing when you're a fusion player, anyhow.

See? I asked, See? The list of monster-bassists you gave attests to your immersion in a world very dear to me, a world that will be very dear to all music-fans when they realize how silly it is to think that the short n' schreechy axe (the guitar) is more interesting than the much longer n' THUNDERING axe :headbang: Indeed, I've got to look up some of these guys, and I am absolutely sure that you know of at least 666 more :heh:

Cannibal Corpse! :zombie::puke: How refreshing to read the truth about that band, i.e., they produced "crappy music" (and grade-B horror-flick album covers and song titles) yet snagged a fine bassist...no small feat in extreme metal. Actually, I won't give those jokers from Buffalo the honor of calling them an "extreme metal band." They're an extremely pathetic band. Why do the awful bands last so long, while the good ones crash and burn rapidly (frequently)? And Why doesn't Cannibal Corpse do what it preaches and feast on itself, literally. C'mon, BBQ-time. Ah, ooh, I feel so much better now, doc :loco:

Please stay in touch, Queen HyperPost. Hey, how's that title, your Highness?

Best Wishes,

King...oh...how about HyperPost? It's shorter than your suggestion and ah ain't very braght.

Can You Dig It?

Don't worry, el-Morticia: Me and my homeboys, being from the USA, take no interest in soccer. "Football" to us is a very different sport than it is to our male-bonding sports-fan friends from Europe, Africa and Asia, say. It's played by teams like the Green Bay Packers with 300+ lb dudes wearing helmets and what-not perpetually pursuing ownership of an egg-shaped ball-projectile and misbehaving sufficiently to sustain permanent neurological injuries in spite of all the padding. That's the American way.

So far, there are no fellow US manly-men on this thread that I can ID (unless the dude from lalala-how'd it go is from LA), so there will be no sports-talk from this testosterone-charged direction; I will hold my fire.

Hey, let's count our blessings. In the scheme of things, all forms of non-violent bonding are good for the Orphans. It's not like these guys are talking favorably about genocide or other massive evils. It'll be alright. Maybe it's even alright that they're pi**in' you off? :Smokin: You post some cool thangs in that state!

MUSIC is the sh**! Sports? That's a very distant second--yo, chill--IN MY BOOK. And if anyone wants to flame over that, give it your best kick, punt, slam-dunk, or WTF-ever else :mad:

:headbang: Rock n' Roll ain't Noise Pollution!

So c'mon, let's get back n' black. Rally 'round the flag. Or do what ye will.

Whatever,

FiveString
King HyperPost

Check it out! I think you'll like it :)

"Clocking in at nearly 50 minutes, Norway's debut by In Grief is recommended for fans of Opeth, Soilwork, Amon Amarth, and Scar Symmetry, and fans of death / black that is both progressive and atmospheric."

homepage:

www.myspace.com/ingrief

Examples where you can buy the CD with samples:

http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/In_Grief_-_Deserted_Soul/30596

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ingrief

http://www.divinemetaldistro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=677

and many more :)

list of reviews from around the globe:

MetalLibrary.ru: 5/5+ pts.
KronosMortus.hu: 9/10 pts.
The-Pit.de: 9/10 pts.
ZwareMetalen.com: 90/100 pts.
LordsOfMetal.nl: 89/100 pts.
Digital-Steel.com: 88/100 pts.
HallOfMetal.com: 8.3/10 pts.
MetalFrance.net: 4/5 pts.
Mauce.nl: 8/10 pts.
MetalMundus.pl: 8/10 pts.
Obliveon.de: 8/10 pts.
PowerOfMetal.dk: 80/100 pts.
WhiteMetal.it: 80/100 pts.
Raw&Wild.com: 7.5/10 pts.
MusikAnSich.de: 15/20 pts.
Legacy.de: 11/15 pts.
Stormbringer.at: 3.5/5 pts.
DarkScene.at: 7/10 pts.
Eutk.net: 7/10 pts.
HolySteel.com: 7/10 pts.
Metal.de: 7/10 pts.

Live video and a couple of full songs if you're interrested :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaEaOTKSODA&feature=related[/ame]

We hope you'll enjoy our music!
-In Grief

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Postmodernist! Really, you do seem like a dear person.

But you, how about considering the title "Queen of Hypercommunicatia?"
Girl, I'm edified that you appreciate Jaco

Please stay in touch, Queen HyperPost. Hey, how's that title, your Highness?

Best Wishes,

, ma'am.

Can You Dig It?

@FS: I'm an XY chromosome bearer in fact.

ROFLMAO !!!!! :heh: BWHAHAAHAHAHAA!!!! That had me cracking up for five whole minutes! I was gonna say that sometime back before Anton ninja-ed me. ROFLMAO !!! ahahahahahahahaaaa

what's Rudra like? FS

Rudra is a Singaporean band. It comprises of ethnic Indian Tamils [one of the four major ethnic groups there] who play a style of music known as Vedic metal. Basically they have Indian chants, themes and lyrics hence the Vedic tag. Technically not all of it is Vedic, but you get the gist right? Musically they are primarily Black Metal with a hunch of Death metal here and there.

Rudra is one of the names [or forms] of lord Shiva.
Try out 'Rudrapatni' [Rudra's patni or his wife i.e. goddess Parvati/Kali or whatever form you'd like to call her by] Thats the song that got me into Rudra. I guess all the years of granny's story telling did help somewhere down the line :D

I believe I found one w/your fav album in a store way out in sticks. Please pray for me, Disciple :cry: The owner told me something like this: "Yep, ah thaynk thayt we've got thayt thar CD stored in bayk, 'cause the local folks jest don't git into anythang exotic lahk thayt...."
FS

I can actually hear the Southern, wee bit of redneck voice :D Do you talk like that ?

Rudra is a Singaporean band. It comprises of ethnic Indian Tamils [one of the four major ethnic groups there] who play a style of music known as Vedic metal. Basically they have Indian chants, themes and lyrics hence the Vedic tag. Technically not all of it is Vedic, but you get the gist right? Musically they are primarily Black Metal with a hunch of Death metal here and there.

Rudra is one of the names [or forms] of lord Shiva.
Try out 'Rudrapatni' [Rudra's patni or his wife i.e. goddess Parvati/Kali or whatever form you'd like to call her by] Thats the song that got me into Rudra. I guess all the years of granny's story telling did help somewhere down the line :D

I can actually hear the Southern, wee bit of redneck voice :D Do you talk like that ?

Hey Bro,'

- Thanks for the info on Rudra. I'm adding them to my "seek 'em out" CD-shopping-list, heck yeah. I'm truly loving this Middle-Eastern musical immersion, but it's a big world out there (deep) and I reckon many fantastic bands get ignored by the Western "talent" scouts, may they drop. Thus, I will extend my reach into the music of cultures outside of the Middle East. WTF not?!

Tamils...I remember a group, militant I think, called the Tamil Tigers. I don't remember when they were in the sanitized news out here but I remember that they sure as heck were. What are they about? What are their grievances, subjective or objective? Is everything alright now?

- You hear written words very well, homeslice. Yes, I talk with a Southern accent, usually mild but always noticeable unless I'm talking with someone antagonistic from the North who thinks the War Between the States is still in full blast. In such situations, I talk jest 'bout lahk some distant ancestors I had way back in the day in Mississippi, "the Most Southern Place on Earth" forreal. Shoot...But that's alright: I'm hot-headed when it comes to respect (I give it and expect it in return), so a self-loving Yank never crosses me again.

So, yeah, my accent's mild b/c I've lived all over the world, although most of my years thusfar, I have lived in the US South and Border/Upper South (like now), and also b/c educated Southerners tend not to sound like Larry the Cable Guy, Jeff Foxworthy, or anybody else on Blue-Collar Comedy (seen that stuff ever?). Them thar dudes do crack me up, I admit. Oh, that whole "North-South" thang's very complex in the US. Past: Missouri was a Slave-State, an unspeakable, demonic thing, distinctly Southern (although sly Northerners engaged in the trade behind the scenes). It did not secede from the Union. Instead, it had two Congresses: One Confederate, one Union. Heard of Jesse James? He was a Confederate soldier from Missouri who, well, used his battlefield-acquired skills (and inborn psychopathy) to rob everything and everybody until he was put outta biz forever. Missouri also had countless militias sympathetic with the Confederacy: Now, consider how much damage an embedded enemy can wreak, one who knows the land, the people.... That's right: A huge amount. Another aspect of the War Between the States--Southerners refuse to call it 'The Civil War' for a reason that resonates w/me (it wasn't "civil")--was that it was not only about setting the slaves free and abolishing that satanic institution. The North and South always disagreed about State rights. The Northern States were Federalist ('cause, hey, they took DC from MD + VA & plunked the North-lovin' Feds there), and thus held that the Federal Government can override a State Government's rulings. The Southern States long before the Confederacy was anti-Federalist, and thus strongly disagreed. This disagreement was just as instrumental at precipitating the war as the NEED to abolish slavery, because the Union decided to use force to "convince" the South that it would accept Federalism, like it or not. The horror. The horror.

Some peeps in this huge country of mine still think the war's not over. I hear slogans like "The South Will Rise Again" all over, usually when hanging out with...right...rednecks. C'mon! Even Kamikaze characters hiding out after WWII surrendered after a few yrs: Life in the jungle can really (ouch) bite. United We Stand, Divided We Fall. Isn't that the Orphaned Land way anyhow? I rest my case.

"Redneck" has many connotations, totally dependent on who's self-presenting as such or identifying another as such. The origin of the term is, supposedly, from the "farmer's tan" Southern White dudes got working outdoors, a tan most prononounced...yessir--on the back of an oft-fleshy good ol' boy neck. So there's usually not much "redneck" in my accent or other aspects/content of my speech, b/c it's usually associated with little education. But if I'm tired or after I've tossed back a couple of cold ones, yep, there most definitely is. Sadly, though, "redneck" is often equated with "racist." Sociologically, that's not even true. I met the worst bigots in Chicago. Certainly in my case, it's not.

Ananth, how do you know all about us nutcase Americans? I'm impressed. I've got to go back and read about your self-intro back in the day when you were a newbie here. I skimmed the stuff before I (big of me) committed myself to this quasi-chat-board, and, if I recall correctly, you are Hindu, of the Brahmin (sp?) Caste? Is that true? It doesn't get higher status than that, ain't that right, Ananth?

What do you think about the caste system? I mean, is it really "enforced" these days? Just the name "Untouchables" sends shivers down my spine, partially because it reminds me of a certain album that, save one hit, is fairly repetitive :ill: Yet, once again, I'm clued out Re your (and most other) culture. Fill me in if you wish. That'd be nice.

From a fellow XY chromosomal feller,

Remember the Alamo:cry:

BTW, don't EVER say the above line to a Texan in jest. S/he is gonna be armed, guaranteed, and it just ain't worth it, can you dig it?

Word!

FS
King of HyperPost

@FS: I'm an XY chromosome bearer in fact.

Postmodernist,

Good news from you, really. I wasn't ready to settle down just yet.

Props on the XY ownership--we can definitely bond along that genetic similarity. But, daggum it, with that pic of a woman gazing "together toward the light" (translation of yer subheader-name not too shabby, huh?), I leapt to the conclusion that you were female, and, thus, would be a Queen. Heck, you could still be a queen if you have certain proclivities but let's not go there, given that the readership here contains many minors.

I'll tell you what: Given that you were the first to peck prolifically at your keyboard...hold on..... Yes: Sir Lancelot, and all the rest of the Knights of my Round Table! Attention: I, King FiveString HyperPost hereby coronate the XY-bearer (we knew genetics back then, y'all) standing before you as King Postmodernist HyperPost. We will divide our territories later, according to criteria that make sense (sensible kings! rare) and work together to democratically, albeit royally, establish order in the Orphaned Lands the Good Lord has given us in PEACE. Amen. Y'all may be seated, y'hear?

LMFAO! But I'm flippin' serious 'bout the coronation. You can't give it back. However, as equals, we'll agree on our complimentary tasks together.

King Five String HyperPost

ROFLMAO !!!!! :heh: BWHAHAAHAHAHAA!!!! That had me cracking up for five whole minutes! I was gonna say that sometime back before Anton ninja-ed me. ROFLMAO !!! ahahahahahahahaaaa

Ananth,

ROFLMAO indeed! Hysterically funny. Thanks for the sedative, nurse. Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....Sh**y*t. This is funnier than a metal-head cowboy wearing high-heels on the range. So we'll (those interested) have to continue our quest not just for the Holy Grail but for the HyperPost Queen.

XX-bearers only: Please contact me if interested in being, well, a Queen. Huh? No, sorry, no Fragile-X Syndrome: Gotta be XX all the way. Heck, now that we've got two Kings, we've gotta have two Queens. That's how it was in the Old Country, boys n' girlzzz.

Much obliged, and most humbly so,

King Fivestring HyperPost

Check it out! I think you'll like it :)

"Clocking in at nearly 50 minutes, Norway's debut by In Grief is recommended for fans of Opeth, Soilwork, Amon Amarth, and Scar Symmetry, and fans of death / black that is both progressive and atmospheric."

We hope you'll enjoy our music!
-In Grief

Thanks; I'll check y'all out. You got me at the word "Opeth."

Cheers (how's that said in Norwegian?),

King Fivestring HyperPost

Isn't it a shame (hint, hint, Century Media) that OL's earlier releases are not currently in print? How shameful that peace-loving fans like us need to resort to purchasing at mega-inflated prices releases like Sahara and your fav, El Norrah Alilah, from unscrupulous "merchants."
FS

I can tell you there will be a reissue of the albums. It needs a bit of time :) patience patience :) so no need to purchase at so-called ' rare -out of print' prices on Ebay and the likes.

I can tell you there will be a reissue of the albums. It needs a bit of time :) patience patience :) so no need to purchase at so-called ' rare -out of print' prices on Ebay and the likes.

Thanks for the insider-info, Morticia. I think the local redneck will sell me ENA for about $25.... That's kinda tempting :cool:

Of course, I'll show up there (and I will) and dude will have some bluegrass album in Hebrew. Yeah, why not?

Good to read from ya. I ventured over to the entire list of threads and was amazed. I mean, there are so many opps to gab about so many topics. Insane. I'm enjoying just shooting the breeze with people on this thread, but I do believe I'll also check out the other ones. Maybe they won't be all about analyzing the new logo's lower right-hand corner or thangs of that nature :erk:

Peace Out

FS

@FS:
Hehe, at my avatar that's a rather massive person (100 kilos, 193 cm) with a beard, which is myself. Yep, I'm aware that most people perceive long (headily :D) hair as a primary gender indicator (though that's rather different for the metalhead subculture).

Perhaps for my status to sound masculine I need to change it to "Al Mautu Lilkuffar!" ("Let the unfaithful die!" in Arabic) or to "I'm the ruler of Corpsef**kers' International Association" - that's more "testosteronized" :devil:

Let's form the United Flame Empire and annex the neighboring forum boards by speaking about Orphaned Land and oriental metal there. And then find queens there, take away their resources, introduce our supremacy ideology etc. That's what most kingdoms would do in the past and that's what all big and wealthy states are doing today.

PS: "Cheers" in Norska is "Tak skal du ha" or "Tyssen tak".

@FS:
Hehe, at my avatar that's a rather massive person (100 kilos, 193 cm) with a beard, which is myself. Yep, I'm aware that most people perceive long (headily :D) hair as a primary gender indicator (though that's rather different for the metalhead subculture).

Perhaps for my status to sound masculine I need to change it to "Al Mautu Lilkuffar!" ("Let the unfaithful die!" in Arabic) or to "I'm the ruler of Corpsef**kers' International Association" - that's more "testosteronized" :devil:

Let's form the United Flame Empire and annex the neighboring forum boards by speaking about Orphaned Land and oriental metal there. And then find queens there, take away their resources, introduce our supremacy ideology etc. That's what most kingdoms would do in the past and that's what all big and wealthy states are doing today.

PS: "Cheers" in Norska is "Tak skal du ha" or "Tyssen tak".

Yeah the photo is (artistically, yeah) blurry: I discern the beard, now. I'm a shaved-head metalhead (it confuses the boneheads), so I sometimes forget that the norm is long hair. But I'm a norm-breaker. No, I didn't perceive the long hair as being a gender indicator. But I tend to type without my reading glasses on and, with the beard and long hair, your face appeared more elongated and I assumed, "female." Happens.

Jeez, how on earth did you find Norsk for "Cheers?" I know it wasn't from some online source. And if it was, hey, kick*** anyhow.

Let's see, I'll try to learn that glorious Arabic phrase: "Al Mautu Lilkuffar!" Look at the similarities in words! I assume Mautu means "death?" In Hebrew, the word is "Mavet." Heretic and such? "Koffer." WTF aren't us brothers getting along even just a little bit...you know, with a lil' sibling rivalry thrown in? Just musing.

I like your XY-fueled idea of annexing the other boards and orientalizing them. I haven't checked them out, but my biased guess is that they need an infusion of intelligent ideas anyhow. But, heck yeah: I'm all for it. Except it might be boring to read scholarly discussions about the meaning of Urlgal's (made-up Nordic name) tats. You with me on this slight issue? But perhaps I'm being provincial? I haven't ventured outta Orphaned Land's UM velt, so what do I know about the other micro-velts? Nah, I'm comfortable here. I do enough adventuring elsewhere. So I ain't doing the Hun thing, bro.' Other ideas?

Wouldn't it be simpler for us to find queens here, say? We'd have our servants (gotta appoint them too!) select the finest in the Orphaned Land, just like it is told in the Book of Esther, and (yeah, this is chauvinistic, but Kings are that way) then we can have our peeps throw massive feasts during which we decide. Of course, in the spirit of the 21th c. the Queen will have to be equally willing. No forced unions here. And then? Ah, and then, my friend, we can embark on all sorts of adventures to dis-Orphanize the Lands we know, love, and cry for. Now how more empowering could life get, especially because we will be accompanied by modern, educated, astute, oh-so-cultured and worldly Queens?

But you write:

"Let's form the United Flame Empire and annex the neighboring forum boards by speaking about Orphaned Land and oriental metal there. And then find queens there, take away their resources, introduce our supremacy ideology etc. That's what most kingdoms would do in the past and that's what all big and wealthy states are doing today."

I can find no holes in the conclusion of your above-snipped statement. But UFE? That's catchy and vaguely familiar. I vote "yes." We can appoint wise...people to develop a theology that will "lead" to the emergence of the ideological and (oh, but naturally) theological background for such a United Flame Empire. But if we brought our entourage with us, brought along resources and teams of scientists and such that could assist our "subjects'" in developing and cultivating their resources, wouldn't that endear us upon them more than tearing it all away? Yes, I know your answer. Ideology? We will enter the various lands with an ideology palatable to all but the most despicable (and I think we agree, roughly who'd fall into such a category), and then prove that we can walk our talk. Charisma! Combine that with a great message, and you've got a developing UFE fo' sho' man.

I think I should check out your liberalislam link, given that you clearly put it there for others to check out.

And, dude, I hate to tell you this, but you've been on-board much longer than me, and you are by far the supreme King HyperPost. But two kings are better than one. Add two Queens, and an Empire, and man, there's no limit to what can be attained, Please God.

Pondering the Logistics (pretty daunting),

FS

Tamils...I remember a group, militant I think, called the Tamil Tigers. I don't remember when they were in the sanitized news out here but I remember that they sure as heck were. What are they about? What are their grievances, subjective or objective? Is everything alright now?

Well, you're talking about the LTTE. Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. They are/were based in Sri Lanka. Basically they wanted sovereignty as the Tamils are an ethnic minority. The majority are Sinhalese [mostly Buddhists]. They were a particularly wicked group involved in all sorts of acts of violence. They pionereed the whole Suicide Bombing fad. They were destroyed by direct military action and their founder killed as well [this was not too long ago]. They assassinated all sorts of high ranking officials [they even managed to kill Rajiv Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India]. I hope the matter is solved politically now.

- You hear written words very well, homeslice. Yes, I talk with a Southern accent, usually mild but always noticeable unless I'm talking with someone antagonistic from the North who thinks the War Between the States is still in full blast. In such situations, I talk jest 'bout lahk some distant ancestors I had way back in the day in Mississippi, "the Most Southern Place on Earth" forreal. Shoot...But that's alright: I'm hot-headed when it comes to respect (I give it and expect it in return), so a self-loving Yank never crosses me again.

Ananth, how do you know all about us nutcase Americans? I'm impressed.

Awesome! It'll be fun seeing you talk like this, 'Wee ERR gunna kiyul sum niggurs'. Yeah I know the origin of the term redneck :D The redneck stereotype is quite funny though :D The internet is splattered with stuff about you Americans. And I grew up being the kid who liked reading relatively obscure shit [Anything non-Harry Potter is vague for today's 10 year old ]. Plus I'm ridiculously interested in history.

Remember the Alamo:cry:

Long long back I'd read this book about Travis, Bowie and Santa Anna. Brutal last stand that was. I heard something about a movie about the Alamo, is that true? Since history is all about the perspective of the victors, is there some substantial material from the other side ?

Ananth, how do you know all about us nutcase Americans? I'm impressed. I've got to go back and read about your self-intro back in the day when you were a newbie here. I skimmed the stuff before I (big of me) committed myself to this quasi-chat-board, and, if I recall correctly, you are Hindu, of the Brahmin (sp?) Caste? Is that true? It doesn't get higher status than that, ain't that right, Ananth?

What do you think about the caste system? I mean, is it really "enforced" these days? Just the name "Untouchables" sends shivers down my spine, partially because it reminds me of a certain album that, save one hit, is fairly repetitive :ill: Yet, once again, I'm clued out Re your (and most other) culture. Fill me in if you wish. That'd be nice.

I could go on and on about this unfortunately :( Yeah the spelling is right. Caste is such a fucked up word here and is manipulated so badly. We have all sorts of quotas and restrictions placed to ensure the alleviation of the formerly downtrodden or lower caste people. In theory this is awesome. Totally agreed upon. Just to clear any doubts/pre-conceived notions, upper class doesn't correspond with higher income. There is some sort of a reverse caste system taking place. Regardless of the fact that my Grandfather and his forefathers came from a little village away from all this [and ignoring the fact that they had really little means] , the lower castes are back with vengeance. I've used the italics all along as this whole system is fucking stupid and I see my own blood relatives being as bigoted as Sarah Palin. Its funny how all these measures are put in place by the government to theoritically rid ourselves from this caste system, but are doing exactly the opposite.
Now, coming to the manipulation with regards to the quotas. Most govt. institutions have all sorts of quotas meant for those who traditionally couldn't afford education or are relatively backward at it. And the quotas are supposed to break this vicious circle of education [no money->substandard education--> bad job --> no money]. However, what happens is, the INSANELY RICH but lower or backward caste people and also IQ-challenged get the seats in awesome govt. colleges that the intelligent [regardless of the caste] kids get. As they either can't afford the fees, or the insanely corrupt officials are bribed to show them the blind eye.
You do know how the system started out right? It wasn't something that was supposed to carry down, passed down as lineage. It just happened. Like father like son, a tad bit too seriously. This fucked the whole system up.

So to answer your question, yes its enforced, albeit by the narrow percentage of corrupt people with enormous political clout.

I'm by no means ashamed of who I am or my family lineage. In India, even if I do choose to say 'fuck you' to my 'caste' it won't happen. That's probably the third or fourth thing that comes to one's mind when a stranger is introduced to them. However, with my generation, things are rapidly changing. I believe that by the next generation, this whole system will be vanquished :kickass: This may be pale in comparison with ethnic violence in Rwanda and erstwhile Yugoslavia, but screws with the head and with the notion of living in a free, democratic country.

There could be no end to this , if anything specific, I'll be glad to tell you.

Ananth