Introducing ourselves.

Well, you're talking about the LTTE. Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam...I hope the matter is solved politically now.

Awesome! It'll be fun seeing you talk like this, 'Wee ERR gunna kiyul sum niggurs'. Yeah I know the origin of the term redneck :D The redneck stereotype is quite funny though :D The internet is splattered with stuff about you Americans. And I grew up being the kid who liked reading relatively obscure shit [Anything non-Harry Potter is vague for today's 10 year old ]. Plus I'm ridiculously interested in history.

Long long back I'd read this book about Travis, Bowie and Santa Anna. Brutal last stand that was. I heard something about a movie about the Alamo, is that true? Since history is all about the perspective of the victors, is there some substantial material from the other side ?

Hey,

Thanks for the info Re the Tigers. Yes, I recall reading about their murderous deeds. 'nuff said. Hopefully they are, indeed, history.

People in other countries rag on the US so much but they mimic it like parrots, from drive-through fast-food "restaurants" all the way to rock. Yeah: Rock! I live just a little distance from the great Mississippi. All one has to do is get on the interstate out there, I-55, point his/her car south, and drive on down to northwest Mississippi (the State), to a region known as the Mississippi Delta. That vast region gave birth to the people who gave birth to the blues. Nobody paid these innovators anything. Years later, British rockers would rip off their tunes and make millions (e.g., the riff for Whole Lotta Love is from a Muddy Waters song). Well...the blues-men migrated up the road a tad, to Memphis. Recordings were made, with the ugly phrase "Race Music" :cry: printed on the darn record.

And, indeed, Whitey never bothered to listen to this music. But ol' Elvis was from Mississippi, too. And he loved that "race music." Being from a very poor family, all he had known before was country music. So he took the two genres, threw 'em into his vocal blender, and, with the help of a few songwriters and musicians, rock n' roll was born.

Just an example of how the sheer stupidity of the "American Way" can lead to seismic shifts (here, in music) that change the world. Needless to say, the ending isn't always as happy as this, but I ain't wrah'tin no book, boy :heh:

You ask about Texas and the Alamo. Dude, for about four years, I dated a Texan woman who had kin die defending the Alamo. She never spoke of it, although she knew the Texan version of the story inside out. Shoot, I wish I had asked her about it. Yeah, the men were butchered; they were ridiculously outnumbered and refused to surrender.

But was I there? Was my ex there? Uh, no. I am certain that there is plenty of scholarly lit that carefully explores both what the Texans and the Mexicans had to say about the Alamo and everything else that led to the establishment of the Republic of Texas. Yes: For ten years, it was an independent country right beside the contiguous US. But Houston (the man) and his peeps got into huge debt, so they joined the Union; the (massive) State of Texas was born.

You've gotten me curious with your Qs. I'll check (when I can) what, say, Santa Ana had to say about us Gringos.

Alright,

FS

I could go on and on about this unfortunately :( Yeah the spelling is right. Caste is such a fucked up word here and is manipulated so badly. We have all sorts of quotas and restrictions placed to ensure the alleviation of the formerly downtrodden or lower caste people. In theory this is awesome...However, what happens is, the INSANELY RICH but lower or backward caste people and also IQ-challenged get the seats in awesome govt. colleges that the intelligent [regardless of the caste] kids get. As they either can't afford the fees, or the insanely corrupt officials are bribed to show them the blind eye.

So to answer your question, yes its enforced, albeit by the narrow percentage of corrupt people with enormous political clout.

I'm by no means ashamed of who I am or my family lineage. In India, even if I do choose to say 'fuck you' to my 'caste' it won't happen. That's probably the third or fourth thing that comes to one's mind when a stranger is introduced to them. However, with my generation, things are rapidly changing. I believe that by the next generation, this whole system will be vanquished :kickass: This may be pale in comparison with ethnic violence in Rwanda and erstwhile Yugoslavia, but screws with the head and with the notion of living in a free, democratic country.

There could be no end to this , if anything specific, I'll be glad to tell you.

Ananth

Ananth,

Thanks for the candid answer. It takes no genius to tell that you are very passionate about the matter, and p*ss*d off about the way "the system" is falling all over itself trying to, uh, huh huh, fix things.

I've gotta read your posting more carefully later, and do some non-wiki reading, if you get my drift.

Shoot, but you are in the know about things, that's for certain. You even know about our pride and joy (can you take her, please?) Palin.

I'll tell you, America likes things to be extreme. You want big? It's here in everything from the size of your entre @ the restaurant to the size of your car (well, not e/o is stoooopid enough to still git 'em a guzzler). You want smart? We've got universities that are second to none. You want stupid? Oh h*ll yeah, we've got heaps of that. You named one who's both dumb and carries the flag for Ameri-lemmings.

We'll talk, alright? I know what it's like to be stuck with a "label" or in "place" regardless of what I happen to want. Society can kiss off, but it's powerful. You take enough sheeple, and--look out--what a stampede!

Gotta go head out there and talk with monosyllabic Palin-types.

And, yo, good for you: Never be ashamed of who you are. Let the Heathens rage. Hold your head up high and smirk @ 'em.

FS

Shalom..

Im Fadi ..27 ...from Beirut-Lebanon
its been years since i first listened to OL and im planning to keep on doing that :) ....

im an Export Manager, my major is Psychology ....

Well... given my awkard social graces & ability to answer most questions using a grunting sound, this is probably gonna look awful, but here goes :

I'm Robert but no-one ever calls me robert, they always use slang names like rob, robbie, bob, bobbie, even bobert, doesn't really bother me which people use, just as long as they've got something pleasant to say to me.

i'm 26 & live in the UK, in the north east corner of england.

i speak english & alittle german ( i can understand it a hell of alot better than i can speak it )

i learned about OL by accident really, just sick of listening to the same US made recycled metal sound & decided it was time to find something better to listen to, talked to a guy in record store in local city (also a guitar shop, is my favorite place in the world) put a copy of el norra alila on for me to listen to, i was hooked by the the end of 'like fire to water' & bought myself a copy of sahara the next week.

Played bass & guitar with a couple of bands in high school, but don't play as much or as loud as i used to, 14 year old me loved pissing my parents off by playing fear factory songs for hours, but now i just enjoy the occasional 10 minutes with an acoustic. still, i have the rare occasion when have to break out the electric & thrash out a song or two.

I was first introduced to metal with bands like Motorhead, Blitzkrieg, Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Judas Priest, stuff my father liked & used to play (until my mom would bitch at him to turn it off) i enjoyed these bands (& still do) but by about 13 i wanted something different & abit stronger, so just started digging around in record stores, i found albums from artists like Fear Factory, Machine Head, Carcass, The Haunted, Slayer, Ministry, and really started to fall in love with metal. Since then i've just always been looking & listening out for new bands to enjoy.

anything else? hmmm.... i drink far too much coffee & have a 5 second attention span & get grouchy sometimes..... my friends say it's because of the coffee, i just shout at them & say it's because they haven't made me a coffee.

So nice to find all nationalities in 1 place :) .... looking forward for the album release ....but too bad i cant buy it where i live :S ...but of course ill have it 1 way or another .

Greetings Robert and Fadi :D

@ RJ - I thought you Brits were more into tea :D Come to India, you get some nice mix of different kinds of coffee here :D

So nice to find all nationalities in 1 place :)

You have no idea how wonderful it is for a third party viewer to just sit back and see people from Arab nations declaring their love for something from Israel. :)

i cant see why not !! ....personally i dont have a prob with israel !!...along with many many many ppl in my country !! ...but Politics sucks man !!
how amasing it would be if im able to visit jerusalem or Tel aviv ....spend a weekend there !! go party ..... and same for ppl from israel !! ...we have alot of similarities ....
and i will tell u a fact ! ....no1 is smarter than a lebanese Jew..... its the perfect genetic combination ....

Shalom..

Im Fadi ..27 ...from Beirut-Lebanon
its been years since i first listened to OL and im planning to keep on doing that :) ....

im an Export Manager, my major is Psychology ....

Nice to read from you, Fadi. And great to have another psych-person on-board...well, there might be more, but you're the first I've met here.

I'm a PsyDoc. How's life in Beirut these days? Seriously, I want to know.

Seeya,

Hill

i cant see why not !! ....personally i dont have a prob with israel !!...along with many many many ppl in my country !! ...but Politics sucks man !!
how amasing it would be if im able to visit jerusalem or Tel aviv ....spend a weekend there !! go party ..... and same for ppl from israel !! ...we have alot of similarities ....
and i will tell u a fact ! ....no1 is smarter than a lebanese Jew..... its the perfect genetic combination ....

I agree: POLITICS SUCK! The majority of us have no interest in it and just get slammed by the results of the bickering and hate. Seriously, really! Like, how many of us get up in the morning and goes to work in their Parliament, Knesset, House of Representatives, National Front for the Liberation/Enslavement of the "fill in the blanks" etc. and proceeds to argue and spread dissent? That's right: None of us.

But who gets to "enjoy" the results of the internal and external (international) dissent? Yeah, we do. And that sucks rotten eggs. What can we do? For one, we can remind ourselves every time that we hear a friend say something sick about a member of another nationality, religion, creed, race (we're all members of the human-race, last time I checked) that s/he's merely brainwashed, a human sheep, following the leader with the biggest mouth: My term for such fine (not) specimens of humanity = "sheeple." Someone taught me that one and I like it, so there. Forreal...analyze what you've heard from that person and I guarantee that you will find that s/he is merely parotting what was broadcast on the news, and aforesaid broadcast reflects the OPINIONS of a minority of well-fed politicians who benefit from WAR. F them. Let's be bigger than them. The Masters of War don't want us to see or hear about all the good that takes place. They'd lose their sicko jobs. So why don't we help those lemming jump off the cliff, for God's sake?!

Dang, I'm fired up.

Whooboy, sorry, those who "know" me: I had to renew my license to practice and had a week of exams. That's why my bio-clock's totally off...it's just after 4:00 AM here.

Well, IB back, I believe.

Hey!

Hill

TEXTURES and Amon Amarth. The best show I've ever been to. Exhaustion prevents me from writing further. I shall edit and add in detail.

Nice to read from you, Fadi. And great to have another psych-person on-board...well, there might be more, but you're the first I've met here.

I'm a PsyDoc. How's life in Beirut these days? Seriously, I want to know.

Seeya,

Hill

well ...Beirut ! sin city of the middle east :)

hmm ill start by saying that its impossible to get anywhere in beirut without being stuck in traffic for an hour :)

minimum cars per household is 3 + plus cars from arab countries

events every weekend ! ... international dj's....rock festival .... hip hop stars ! ...every1 but OL :p

new years party start on the 30th by a huge concert for Armin van bueren

on the 27th MIssy eliott and pitt bull and Sean Paul !! ...gr8 night for hip hopers !!

every single coffe shop and restaurant is full daily ...

u know we like street full of pubs and bars ...yea its all full ...everyday !!

it sooo weird yea i know !! ..

Malls are packed !!

ppl work for show off ...cars and suits ! ......

so this pretty much is how we spend our days in BEIRUT !! hope u can join this journey sometime soon !

MRWizard- it is just so refreshing to read it with my own eyes. F**k the news who always feeds us 'angry arabs' I'm so tired of that, because I KNOW it is not the truth!
A lot of my Israeli friends would love to travel to places such as Damascus or Beirut or even Iraq. The historical places there we would all love to see. And I'm not even speaking of the no doubt excellent food :):)
And basically the cultures of Israel and all its neighbours are close together.
It makes me sad to discuss traveling plans with a friend from Jordan and that he feels he needs to warn me I had better not talk about having friends in Israel in public when I'm in Jordan. I'm dreaming for years to see Beirut and Damascus. I devour every Lebanse cookbook in sight, because I love the food from Lebanon. Now I want to taste the real thing and enjoy the mondaine beauty of the city- that 'Paris of the Middle East'. Heard so much about it!!! But those Israel stamps in my passport means that I can't even get into the country, even though I'm Dutch. Still I'm gonna meet you in Beirut one of these days for sure!

In this forum we show them how it's done and we built our own nation/ community :)

it is refreshing to me as well !! ....and i would be very pleased to meet u all in lebanon .....just get fresh passport with no stamps ....n book the first flight here ...
this forum gives us all a glimse of the future , where we can discuss OL ... and meet ....in a concert in jerusalem ......thats my fantasy !! ...

well ...Beirut ! sin city of the middle east :)

hmm ill start by saying that its impossible to get anywhere in beirut without being stuck in traffic for an hour :)

minimum cars per household is 3 + plus cars from arab countries

events every weekend ! ... international dj's....rock festival .... hip hop stars ! ...every1 but OL :p

new years party start on the 30th by a huge concert for Armin van bueren

on the 27th MIssy eliott and pitt bull and Sean Paul !! ...gr8 night for hip hopers !!

every single coffe shop and restaurant is full daily ...

u know we like street full of pubs and bars ...yea its all full ...everyday !!

it sooo weird yea i know !! ..

Malls are packed !!

ppl work for show off ...cars and suits ! ......

so this pretty much is how we spend our days in BEIRUT !! hope u can join this journey sometime soon !

Hey Fadi,

Well, given that Las Vegas is an overrated place for (sorry if I'm stepping on any crocodile-boot toes, sorry but I ain't sorry really), uh, yeah, peeps who like performances by :zombie: Celine and other annoying aberrations of creation, I'm real glad that there's another Sin City! OURS SUX ROTTEN EGGS! :ill: And I'm especially glad that it's in Beirut, not "just" anywhere in the Middle East. You've got some serious sinful history :lol:. Beirut started off, so to speak, as the "Riviera of the Middle East," after all, did it not? And then, well, you know what happened :erk: So y'all bounced back? That's the best revenge. What a vivacious, determined people you Lebanese are. Y'all can teach everyone here some serious lessons in beating the odds, shoot! Is there still that south/north cultural separation I remember, sorta? And, oh yeah, I suspect that the peeps out east are more, hmmm, traditional? Well....

Dumba@@ Q, but I like asking stooopid Qs, 'cause, hey, I'm American. Yeah, so, you mentioned "cars from Arab countries." Got me curious: You talking about Arab car-brands? If so, I'd love to know about them 'cause I'm nuts about cars and this would just be so dang interesting and stuff. Them cars of yours can't be like the Yugo, which nobody (in Europe or here) misses at all. Or the Israeli dreck-car called "Susita" ("Sus" equals "horse;" it had about 1 HP). Dang, it would be encouraging to read about nice cars manufactured in the Orphaned region. Economic growth is one of the many thang the Middle East needs, and spells i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-c-e (darn, that was hard).

Rock n' Roll in Beirut :headbang:! OL==>Inshallah, they'll get there. Maybe if Israel and Syria negotiated, kissed and made up :kickass: and, together, chased certain foreign-backed skankass fundamentalist up to Siberia, walack! Let the polar bears deal w/'em. They eat people. Check this out: Maybe if Orphaned Land got, oh, Turkish passports (I've read they've got some powerful connections there) and showed up as a band called, say, OasisSlurper. Feel free to come up with alternate suggestions. I don't like mine. Hate it. But you know--in Sin Cities, everything's possible if the mob gets involved, and what's a major city without a mafia? Y'all must have one; it's a beautiful thing as long as you're not on the hitlist. Heck, it got my ancestors booze during Prohibition :Smokin: Sheeyat, yeah, mobsters could get OL into Lebanon safely and effectively using all sorts of smoke n' mirrors. But there's got to be a demand, 'cause the mob loves one thang only: $. Is there a demand? WTF knows, huh? Maybe the new album will rock the entire Middle East and kick the hateful pigs of all denominations and from every country into the Sea, figuratively speaking.

Well, hell, makes me happy as a S.H.A.R.P. good ol' boy nutcase Jewish-Christian (they manufacture such models in the USA; keeps the peace) redneck into drinkin' moonshine and much better stuff, hoodoggy, to read that Beirut life is bustling, people are clearly unafraid, to put it mildly...sounds like Tel-Aviv and a few times naughtier. I can handle that.

How'd they treat a shaved-head punk dude who showed up with an American passport for a vacation, with a USA-passported chick? Do y'all still have those unpleasant kidnappings from time to time? Mexico's plagued by them, so I stay away even though we're so insane here that we drive thousands of miles to vacation. We don't like airplanes much. So peeps from here used to drive plumb to the Mexican border in a few days, pay a few bribes for extra protection and have a great time. Thangs have changed, sadly. Just ain't worth having your ear lopped off and sent to your relatives for ransom while you sit tied up in some Gringo-hating hideout (sans one ear) :err:

The econ out your way sounds, per your description, like how ours USED TO be. Yeah, it's way F@@@ed now. Well, hey, then, like, heh heh.... Are Americans and other Westerners checking out your waters, if you will? Do you hear lots of English and so on in the streets?

I am so glad to read your enthusiastic report. Y'all are a stunningly strong people; how can one not respect that? Well, if s/he's a racist MF'ing pigdog, s/he/it'd have a fit (and die :mad:) but none of the real-deal OL Disciples' like that. That's why we're so into this music, aside from the fact that it is so much more interesting than the Hollywood pap. Yeah: We don't believe in all that nasty propaganda fed to us by our respective society concerning we (fill in the blanks) are better than (fill in the blanks) them. Those attitudes only help fill the weapon-manufacturers' pockets, as well as excite the bitch-radicals' sick minds and trigger-sticky fingers, GD. We're gonna whup the badguys' butts this time; 'cause it's time for some good news for an Orphaned Land that extends way beyond Israel, c'mon!

Salaam Aleikum.

So, welcome to the most hands-down diverse online community on the planet...darn right. And people respect each other here even more if their countries have been fighting for years. See, none of us wants any of that crap; it's time for the haters to drop dead, maybe with a little loving assistance :). We're like the Love n' Peace types from the sixties, except that we don't hang out in comfy California and London singing 'bout how cool we (think we) are; that was so bogus. This is the real thang...and there never was a real thang even though our parents thought so. They dropped too much acid; it ain't their fault. This here bunch is GLOBAL, but in love with Middle-Eastern rock and the sounds and sights of the area in general. Dammit, Orphaned Land and we Disciples (peacefully :saint:) kick any other significant phenomenon daring to happen in music and music-fandom off the blessed map, so help me all the Gods and things that go "bump" in the night. I ain't picky.

Shukran (that right?) for joining,

Hill

Sleepless in Beirut, Sin City of the Middle East

From nudist beach parties and wild bashes hosted by the likes of Paris Hilton, to gay clubs, gambling and showgirls, Beirut is rapidly earning a reputation as the sin city of the Middle East.
Clubbers don't bat an eye in popping 1,000 dollars for a bottle of champagne to guarantee attention at a trendy nightspot, where less is more as far as women's wear is concerned, and fireworks displays regularly light up the skies.

Lebanon has seen it all: a bloody 1975-1990 civil war, military occupation, high-profile assassinations, and unending political instability.

Four years ago, Beirut's seaside Riviera Hotel saw an assassination attempt targeting a leading anti-Syrian minister. Today it is keeping the neighborhood awake as partygoers drink and dance the night away.

"We have clubs in Cairo," said 26-year-old Waif, as he swayed to the beat on a hot August night holding a glass of whiskey and puffing on a Cuban cigar.

"But nothing beats this," said the Egyptian, a finance consultant. "I need to come here to unwind."

A record one million-plus tourists visited Lebanon last month (July) alone, according to the tourism ministry, which is expecting more than two million tourists by the end of 2009, a figure roughly equivalent to half the country's population.

Many of those flocking to Beirut are Lebanese expatriates, but Arab nationals have also arrived en masse to take advantage of Lebanon's glamorous nightlife and glitzy shows like "Hot Legs" at the Casino du Liban, featuring "striptease-style dances," according to the casino's website.

While Lebanon often flirts with the borderline of civil war -- sectarian strife in May 2008 resulted in the deaths of more than 100 people -- any sign of a political detente is quickly followed by a boom in tourism.

Sami, 30, flew in from Germany for a brief reprieve this summer, which he says turned out to be more exhausting than he had anticipated.

Nursing a sunburn, he described how he had negotiated his way past scowling bouncers into Sky Bar, dubbed the hottest club in Beirut, before stopping at a 24-hour eatery for breakfast at 3:00 am and hitting the beach a few hours later.

"I'm on three hours of sleep," he told AFP. "I had barely started on my coffee when I got to the beach and my friends threw my coffee away and replaced it with vodka in a plastic cup."

"It's pretty much been downhill since then," said the architect, grinning.

"This city is just so diverse," chimed in his girlfriend Yasmine, a 24-year-old graphic designer. "There's something for everyone. It's just one big non-stop party."

Prices for a bottle of champagne at some clubs run from 200 dollars to a staggering 15,000 dollars, but regulars at places like Palais Crystal -- modeled after the famed Palais Club in Cannes -- say it is worth it.

Other clubs take on a different identity: the underground B018 has now changed its decor, again gaining renown for its former macabre interior, a stark reminder of Lebanon's gruesome past. Built on the site of the 1976 Karantina massacre of mainly Palestinian refugees, the club looks like a bunker and until recently featured coffin-like couches.

While Yasmine and Sami represent an emerging face of Beirut -- a hedonists' haven where spirits run as high as the heels -- others are less enthusiastic.

"It's really fun to go out and see all these people and enjoy the music, but I don't understand the hassle, having to reserve months in advance to go to the same places over and over again," said Rana, 28.

"It's as if this is some social obligation that you have to fulfill or you've committed the ultimate sin of not being 'in'," the Beirut-based stockbroker told AFP.

Some Lebanese proudly retell the story of how during the devastating 34-day war between Hizbullah and Israel in 2006, the parties went on, merely relocating their venues to mainly Christian mountain suburbs like Faraya and Brummana.

"It was the same as in Beirut but in a cooler area -- I mean weather-wise," 28-year-old Rania told AFP.

A doctoral candidate in New York, Rania made her reservations at her favorite clubs well before she even landed in Beirut.

an Article from AFP

ur most welcome next summer !! .....i didn't mention the food yet :p ....

Dude, the food...oh, the food. No, I never ate Lebanese food in Lebanon. So it wasn't really Lebanese food at all. But I WANT IT SO BAD.

See you wild-thang Beirut peeps soon.

:)

Hill