Iron Maiden's first show in North America-set list

EternalMetal said:
Well, it was also my first time seeing Maiden, and I kind of wanted them to play the classics. I mean, its not like im close minded or anything, but I listen to them for what they released years ago, not this year. Its like going to see Megadeth and having them only play their new stuff. Though the new stuff is still good, you want them to play the songs that made them famous. If you say you are not in the slightest dissapointed, then you are probably denying it. Unless you just got into Maiden this year with the newer stuff, then I could see your opinion.

The crowd lit up once Fear of the Dark came on. I think this is even more proof. And when they were done, I heard booing. You dont boo at the end of a concert if you are satisfied, which a lot of people werent. More than half the people there probably never heard the new album, so it was probably boring to them.

I already said that it wasn't my ideal setlist and not the setlist that I wanted to introduce me to Iron Maiden live, but you knew what you were getting coming into it, so you're really not in a position to complain. The fact of the matter is that the performance far exceeded my expectations. And I don't recall hearing much booing at the end of the set. Only when Bruce talked about playing the whole album. But they don't design their setlists for their audiences, and they don't have to. They play what they want to play, and YOU CHOOSE IF YOU WANT TO GO. If you think you're going to be disappointed, then you probably shouldn't go.

Hammer of Might said:
No I don't, I find it tedious and almost totally insipid.

I'm still seeing them on tour twice though, so I guess I'll have a chance to judge it live. Sigh.

Only go and see them once and see Motorhead once instead.

You can't beat Motorhead live, which is why I will now watch them for the 14th time this November.

I've seen Motorhead a measly twice. And of course it was great. It reached the point of being painfully loud (literally), but I guess I just can't handle the metal.

Btw I thought the Lemmy quote you used elsewhere was quite amusing when he said "at least we didn't release a pig of an album" - technically speaking aren't all their albums pigs, of some depiction or another? :lol:

--

Another point, The Greys moaned about Maiden always playing The Ides of March and Aces High at gigs? What?? When did they last play either of these tracks live? A fair while ago. I for one would love to see Aces High in a Maiden setlist.

I'm still holding out the hope that there will be a Golden Years tour or whatever, covering the holy trinity of Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son. Now THAT would be godly.

Hammer of Might said:
Another point, The Greys moaned about Maiden always playing The Ides of March and Aces High at gigs? What?? When did they last play either of these tracks live? A fair while ago. I for one would love to see Aces High in a Maiden setlist.

I'm more saying the band probably played the crap out of those songs when the albums came out and up until bruce left. It's 2006 and what 25 years later. It would make more sense to play songs from the last few albums. I would get sick of playing material I wrote after a few years personally. I don't know exactly how the band feels about that but it's obvious they feel some other songs are more significant than music they wrote when in their early 20's or when it was they did.

Faith No More said:
That sucks dude! I dont wanna hear the new album, a few songs fine, but not all them. Where's Aces High, Can I Play With Madness, Wrathchild etc

and Fear Of The Dark :p

Hammer of Might said:
I'm still holding out the hope that there will be a Golden Years tour or whatever, covering the holy trinity of Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son. Now THAT would be godly.

The next tour will be close enough (for me anyway). I can deal with a couple of No Prayer For The Dying Songs.