Is it just me or does a large majority of black metal suck?

Which is worse overall?: NSBM or DSBM

At least NSBM produces good music for the most part. I don't like the ideology but at least NSBM bands go beyond the tight confines of black metal and are fine with musical diversity. Some of them are still pretty lame, Der Sturmer for example. Also Absurd's early demos are pretty funny.

DSBM, on the other hand, all sounds the same, and the ideology is even dumber.

Am I the only one that feels like a lot of black metal's appeal comes from the idea of appreciating something not worthy of appreciating (it makes listeners feel sophisticated, classy, or above average because its an "acquired taste" that most cant enjoy)

People who actually think this are dumb.

At least NSBM produces good music for the most part.

Oh fuck off. Just because there’s a few bands associated with it that are good, bands like Aryan Kampf 88 make absolutely sure the genre is dogshit forever.

It’s actually not even a sub genre btw because it just gets stuck on any black metalish project with certain lyrics.

Oh fuck off. Just because there’s a few bands associated with it that are good, bands like Aryan Kampf 88 make absolutely sure the genre is dogshit forever.

It’s actually not even a sub genre btw because it just gets stuck on any black metalish project with certain lyrics.

Good NSBM bands: Temnozor, arguably Absurd, Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum, Apraxia, M8L8TH

Good DSBM bands: *tumbleweed blows by*

I don't listen to a lot of it, but I do know enough to realize there's worthwhile material out there. You think it all sounds the same, which is blatantly incorrect. Not all DSBM is weepy Burzum-inspired fuzz. You could look here for a list of bands that do not conform to that formula; some of these aren't even really DSBM but have some loose connections to it.

Nyktalgia and Forgotten Woods are good. Probably others I'm forgetting. I don't find DSBM offensive as much as boring and I don't personally find suicidal themes fitting for black metal.

Nyktalgia and Forgotten Woods are good. Probably others I'm forgetting. I don't find DSBM offensive as much as boring and I don't personally find suicidal themes fitting for black metal.

I never said I found it offensive. The suicidal themes are cringy and I know firsthand that extreme depression suppresses one's creativity. Hence, I can assume that many of the musicians are just using it as a put on to sell records.

Reactions: CiG
I never said I found it offensive. The suicidal themes are cringy and I know firsthand that extreme depression suppresses one's creativity. Hence, I can assume that many of the musicians are just using it as a put on to sell records.

You can look past the white supremacist themes in NSBM but not the suicidal themes in DSBM?

I don't see any reason to assume most of the musicians playing in this genre, even the rubbish ones, are pretending to be depressed. Some of them, such as the guy from Malvery, actually did kill themselves. Suffering from depression doesn't preclude a person from having productive phases. With the best examples of the genre, I'd have a hard time believing the music came from someone who had no mental health issues.

Reactions: ramatheson
People confusing technical skill with musical talent. Do we really have to explain this?

It takes talent to generate unique atmosphere and emotion out of something simple and primitive. The album in my avatar to name but one example. Darkthrone's devolution after Soulside Journey was calculated and deliberate. Judas Iscariot and Mutiilation have some laughably incompetent instrumentation but succeed in spite of, perhaps even to some extent because of, that incompetence.

Similar examples in all genres of music really.

Last edited:
You can look past the white supremacist themes in NSBM but not the suicidal themes in DSBM?

Neither offend me on an ethical level but NSBM bands rarely sing directly about Nazism. DSBM bands generally talk about how cold and empty life is and pretty much every DSBM song is like that.

Wasn't Euronymous a bigtime player in the DSBM scene back in the 90's?

Good NSBM bands: Temnozor, arguably Absurd, Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum, Apraxia, M8L8TH

Advent Sorrow.

Also, "The suicidal themes are cringy and I know firsthand that extreme depression suppresses one's creativity" is not true for everyone. I speak from firsthand experience.

If Trist (CZ) counts as DSBM then I would name that one. Wouldn't hear your tumbleweed through the two chords repeating.