Is it just me or does a large majority of black metal suck?

I don't think it's supposed to be some tough guy music. I don't know, when you say "tough" I imagine some chugga chugga gym core.

Isn't metal supposed to be kind of tough/badass? Its one thing for a song to evoke strong emotions but bands like Trist just sound like some pussy whining about how depressed he is to put some extra cash in his pocket and feel like he actually has his own band

There are thousands of generic/clone bands in all metal genres so it seems unfair to single out black metal for this. I remember doing a Metal-Archives search and there are more death metal bands than black metal bands on the database for example.

Mediocrity is unfortunately the reality for a huge portion of any music genre - in my experience this isn’t any more apparent with black metal than any other genre of music.

while black metal has some of the lowest lows of all the metal genres, it also has some of the highest highs.

Every genre fucking sucks TBH

Honestly all of this.
Black metal has always had it's failed impersonators even all the way back to the beginning. Nowadays Black Metal gets a bad wrap or the "hipster" label because of acts like Deafheaven and Liturgy (just to name the most relevant) taking elements and influences of the genres staples and twisting them into something unrecognizable. Not to say that experimentation is a bad thing, but I think it has something to do with the stigma that modern black metal has.

For example

This album is considered a modern black metal album, so I guess it's understandable when someone says "Yeah true black metal is Darkthrone and any band that sounds exactly like it" and

Honestly this isn't really what @HadesRagnazrath was talking about but I figure why not throw in some extra convo points whatever idgaf

Honestly all of this.
Black metal has always had it's failed impersonators even all the way back to the beginning. Nowadays Black Metal gets a bad wrap or the "hipster" label because of acts like Deafheaven and Liturgy (just to name the most relevant) taking elements and influences of the genres staples and twisting them into something unrecognizable. Not to say that experimentation is a bad thing, but I think it has something to do with the stigma that modern black metal has.

For example

This album is considered a modern black metal album, so I guess it's understandable when someone says "Yeah true black metal is Darkthrone and any band that sounds exactly like it" and

what isn't black metal about that? have you forgotten the famous euronymous quote: HEYYY HEYYY HEYYYY HEYYYY HEYYY HEYYY HEYYYY HEYYYY HEYYY HEYYY HEYYYY HEHYYY HEYYY

Liturgy is absolutely fucking awful. I don’t know how anyone can listen to that shit. It’s disorientating and not in a good way.

To use a famous HBB phrase, how is this even considered black metal? Mind you, because they are so maligned by the black metal community I’m half expecting him to come to their defence and say some shit like “better riffs than 90% of black metal”.

You’d think with all of Phil Anselmo’s macho posturing in their videos, you’d consider hitting the gym every once in a while.