Is Opeth your # 1 Band?

1) Opeth
2) Ensiferum with Jari
3) Scar Symmetry
4) Wintersun
5) Soilwork

By my standards, pretty awesome list! Gotta love Jari. On my list, Ensiferum would just be a bit lower, just because I know they'll never match the standard of the first albums (well, unless Jari re-joins obviously).

By my standards, pretty awesome list! Gotta love Jari. On my list, Ensiferum would just be a bit lower, just because I know they'll never match the standard of the first albums (well, unless Jari re-joins obviously).

jari's awesome, i loved him with wintersun

yes, but ne obliviscaris are rapidly approaching...

Same holds true for me. I believe when Ne Obliviscaris get their foothold in the metal scene, they will have just as much impact as Opeth has. No doubt in my mind. That's only if they can get said foothold however. It would be sad to see a group of guys as talented as them just flop...but it could happen I s'pose.

Do all thess aforementioned bands have any common grounds with the music of Opeth or their style of play by any chance? I have neverheard of most of them. Any recommendations an Opeth fan would like?

Set-in-stone #1 Genesis
then: King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Tool, AC/DC
then: Opeth & a bunch of other bands.
So, top 10 occationally.

At the moment, yes, but given the fact that Opeth has held the position for 6 months after Tool had it for 3 years, Tool definitely gets an honorary mention..

Do all thess aforementioned bands have any common grounds with the music of Opeth or their style of play by any chance? I have neverheard of most of them. Any recommendations an Opeth fan would like?

There have been posts like this and the typical results seem to be that, yes there are bands with similar styles meaning shifts from acoustic to distortion and clean vocals to growling (look up Agalloch and Enslaved for these styles first I'd say), but no band really comes any closer to Opeth than that. Beyond the shifts in their songs, there's also the factors of ten minute songs, Mike just being so unique as a vocalist, and differing riff structures.

For the clean-vocalled prog-ish sound, I'd go with Porcupine Tree (Also, from a fan of Maynard James Keenan, I listen to A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step a lot for this), and for the similar growls, I'd go with Dan Swano's stuff (Moontower is awesome) and Novembers Doom (sorta random to bring up but I think Paul Kuhr or whatever his name has a very similar growl), plus Mike's side projects (Bloodbath ftw) and guest vocalist'ing (Katatonia's Brave Murder Day is pretty good, Ihsahn's Unhealer is amazing) Guitar-wise, its all distorted metal guitars but beyond that I wouldn't know anything that's really that similar. There's a lot more metal bands like Meshuggah and Gojira that I think most Opeth fans would like, but, despite great guitars, I'm personally not all that into those vocals that often sound more like screaming than growling.

And buy Tool's Lateralus just cause it's completely unrelated but completely awesome kthx.

Favourite contemporary band, yes, alongside with Porcupine Tree. But I think teh Floyd will always remain my absolute favourite, though I haven't listened that much during the last time.

I've noticed many, many people put PT up there, and in the "metal" list. While I disagree with that classification, I'm glad to see that we can be talking about this brand of metal (Emperor, Ensiferum, etc) and people still appreciate PT.

Anyway, my list is as follows:

1. Opeth
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Demons and Wizards
4. Wintersun
5. Vesperian Sorrow

The last three bands, I feel, are extremely underrated. Kinda like Beneath the Mire. Just my two cents.

picking a favourite band is just impossible, but if i made a 15 fav bands they would be in there

1.)Opeth
2.)Iron Maiden/Iced Earth
3.) Morbid Angel/Death
4.)Akercocke
5.)At the Gates, Megadeth, old In Flames, Arch Enemy