Is there any band who could pull off an Opeth cover?

Dissection, their accoustics song are beautiful (i prefer them to Opeth's one) but they are way to short unfortunatly.
I would love to see what John could do while covering Opeth, if i'm correct he was one of the first to discover them while he was writing CDs review in a swedish mag

"if i'm correct he was one of the first to discover them while he was writing CDs review in a swedish mag"

That´s right. The mag was named Metal Zone and in number 4, 1994, he did a review of a pre-recording of Orchid. But one of the first to discover them... nah.

I don't think Opeth's contemporaries would be the bands to look at to cover Opeth songs, it would be the newer bands influenced by them.

The Soul Forlorn's, Thales's, Wars of Winter's and Farmakon's of the metal world.

As for "discovering" Opeth... according to a post by Lee_B on the "favourite song on Orchid" thread, I think Katatonia's Jonas Renske --> Emperor's Samoth --> Lee_B deserve the credit on that one...

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Just curious - I personally don't think there is.

And why is that?

I bet you Dream Theater can do a great job at it.
Now can Opeth do a cover of DT, that's the question?

Yeah I always felt that they needed a better vocalist.
Technically they're awesome, but it's not enough IMO.

I would like to hear someone do a cover, if just to see how they pull it off. Maybe Dark Tranquillity.

i wonder if opeth will record a cover to "Hallowed Be Thy Name" how it will sound... =)

Hopefully it'd sound better than Cradle of Filth's cover of it.. well, actually the REMIX of their cover.

It included thunderclaps
and Dani wailing "Hallowed be thy name, shallow be my grave!" over and over. And Dani screaming in pitch along with the female vocalist. Ick.

a. Covers suck :\

b. Dream Theater cannot do an Opeth cover

c. Opeth cannot do a Dream Theater cover

d. Dream Theater has the best vocalist in the world

e. Jennifer Lopez already did an Opeth cover WITH the death vocals. I just can't remember which song.