It's a sad day in the life of King Drunkard my friends...

I guess, but long hair should have nothing to do with one's perception of how you're going to perform a specific job. Sure, you might look a bit better with short hair, but unless it's a job requirement to have short hair, they can't really turn you away based on that. I'm pretty sure if a job requires me to do math, having longer hair isn't going to impair my ability to add 2+2. Alcohol might though..

I guess, but long hair should have nothing to do with one's perception of how you're going to perform a specific job. Sure, you might look a bit better with short hair, but unless it's a job requirement to have short hair, they can't really turn you away based on that. I'm pretty sure if a job requires me to do math, having longer hair isn't going to impair my ability to add 2+2. Alcohol might though..

It shouldn't matter, but first impression means a lot and the first impression most people have of metalheads is not favorable. Unfortunately unless you luck out and the person hiring you is a fellow metalhead with long hair the odds are not in your favor. Of course a lot of it has to do with the job. Its less likely to matter in a warehouse or construction job then in "corporate america".

Who says only metalheads have long hair?

I'm pretty sure there are some long hairs in corporate america. There are just very few of them around. I mean, if you have extensive experience in investment banking and you try to get a job at Goldman Sachs or something and you meet (as well as exceed) all of the qualifications for the job for which you are applying, are they going to turn you down because of how long your hair is? Most likely not if you are the best candidate for the job.

I mean, look at facial hair. That was frowned upon within the industry for years and then people started to loosen up. Usually it was only the people high on the ladder who were able to do what they wanted mostly (I'm talking like COO or CFO type positions, EVPs and such). Now I see more and more people my age wearing suits with beards or goatees. You're right, it is very much dependent on the environment along with other factors, but you shouldn't be automatically denied a job because of the length of your hair.

Who says only metalheads have long hair?

I'm pretty sure there are some long hairs in corporate america. There are just very few of them around. I mean, if you have extensive experience in investment banking and you try to get a job at Goldman Sachs or something and you meet (as well as exceed) all of the qualifications for the job for which you are applying, are they going to turn you down because of how long your hair is? Most likely not if you are the best candidate for the job.

It would depend on corporate policy and the "culture" of the company. It also depends on if you are looking for a part-time job after school or a full-time job to support your family.

I don't think part-time or full-time would matter in this case as, you indicated, it would depend on the culture of the company.

Inebriasaurus Rex never answered my question though

I don't think part-time or full-time would matter in this case as, you indicated, it would depend on the culture of the company.

Inebriasaurus Rex never answered my question though

Well what I mean by that is there is a difference between a 15 year old trying to get a part-time job stocking shelves in Walmart and a 35 year old IT professional trying to get a fulltime job at a fortune 500 company. There are different mindsets at work regarding what would be acceptable. Personally as someone who has a family I opt to keep my hair short so I don't have to deal with the stigma sometimes attached to guys with long hair.

At least your hair wasn't really long.

The history teacher on Jeopardy the other day had long hair, so I'm still confident I'll land a future teaching job and keep my locks.