it's high time Akerfeldt learned how to play guitar

If you took all the error's out of Opeth you wouldn't have Opeth ... it's why I like them .. even the mistakes are good .. it's just the way it is ... unlike tool,who rely on perfection (and what great perfection it is), Opeth go into the studio thinking about themselves really ... they do it for them .. almost every member of Tool has chosen the music as not just music but an income really .. but they are fuckin awesome .... Mikael works in a small record store sometimes ... that's it ...not a rich guy .. but a good guy .. so don't call anything that he does terrible ... it's not made for you anyway .. or any of us ..

Originally posted by extensive desolation
I’m so genius I don’t even have to correct anything
Except your english jackass. It's too bad genius is a noun when referring to a person. Lets here a single sound clip of one of your compositions! It's easy to talk big on the net but can you back up what you say? :rolleyes: I think not. You probobly can't even read music or play an instrument.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Åkerfeldt never claimed to be a perfectionist... he even told us on this board recently that compared to most nu-metal artists, he can't even play his instrument... Also, I like hearing imperfections in music... my favourite form of recording is demo-style in a home studio with a grainy ass sound, it just adds such humanity, you feel like you're right there when they're playing the music... when everything is produced till perfection I can't stand it most of the time...

nice point of view but mine is just opposite.
I want art only and not the workshop.

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine

Except your english jackass. It's too bad genius is a noun when referring to a person. Lets here a single sound clip of one of your compositions! It's easy to talk big on the net but can you back up what you say? :rolleyes: I think not. You probobly can't even read music or play an instrument.

oh no!!! an error in my first book!!! people are going to laugh!!!

Back up? What? I guess it's enough to USE your EARS.
If you can't hear errors in Opeth songs then you are deaf.

and btw. I can read music and I play guitar.

nice point of view but mine is just opposite.
I want art only and not the workshop.

That's cool. I doubt you'll be hearing just the 'art' from Opeth anytime soon though... I mean the extra bwp re-release tracks were done in a home studio with a glove over the mic... But yeah, just goes to show that people have totally different ways of listening to music and appreciate different qualities in it. It's good that on this board we can express our opinions without sounding like a bunch of morons.

Part of my enjoyment of music comes from hearing it's played by humans. I want every squeak that comes from playing acoustics to come out loud. I even like when drums occasionally speed up on Orchid.

perfection doesn't exist. Our world is beautiful because is imperfect. Art is the result of the work of a human being, not of a computer, if you want perfection you will get coldness and no feelings at all.

I dont enjoy listening to overproduced music, thats the trademark of career bands (coughdimmuborgircough). Im glad that Opeth is natural, and by the way, blackwaterpark is actually NOT the greatest. Just look to morningrise and orchid for the purest untainted strength in a band like this.

Originally posted by extensive desolation

oh no!!! an error in my first book!!! people are going to laugh!!!

Back up? What? I guess it's enough to USE your EARS.
If you can't hear errors in Opeth songs then you are deaf.

and btw. I can read music and I play guitar.

So even if you can hear errors, who in the heck cares? if you are so incredible and your genius musical palette can't be tainted by hearing imperfections in your music, either:

a ) throw away your opeth cds or give them to someone who is less anal than you

or

b ) put out your own cd, or upload some recordings to the internet so we can listen to your insane guitar skills as you play all the opeth songs flawlessly

or

c ) shut up

or

d ) get a life

...just trying to help you out.

To me Mike is an amazing guitar player. I've been playing for 7 years, and I still can't do some of that shit he does.

You're probley talking about musical ideas and like scales.

FUCK THAT SHIT!

The most important guitar plays have said fuck it to! I don't care about skill. To me it's what sounds good. And I think Opeth, is the most artistic band in the world.

There lyrics are pure poetry. The music is amazing (to me). The riffs themselves, the brake downs, EVERYTHING! To me Opeth are artists...

If you've ever seen opeth live, you'll know how musically amazing they are. There are some bootlegs on

(www.bootlegmania.net) Demon of the Fall, The Drapery Falls, and Forest of October. Look at that study them play...maybe it'll change you mind :D

Though, you have the right to your opinion, and that's great. I love to hear what people think. You're not wrong, it's just cool when you have these little discussions :)

Take care Extensive

Laters

What the fuck do you mean by saying “natural sound”??
Someone who can’t play guitar at all will make shitty sound on every note he plays.
And it’s also NATURAL.
So what’s the point in learning to play an instrument??
Have you heard about a guy who spend hours hitting one note, trying to get a perfect sound??
And what is unnatural about that?? It’s his hand, wooden instrument, no digital processing, and above all – beautiful sound.

Maybe you want some farting and coughing on next Opeth CD.?That would be NATURAL.

I hope there´ll be a fart on the next al-bums, O how sweet it would be :D

extensive desolation - I now know what you're talking about. I thought you were talking about hitting wrong notes etc, not quality of sound. As a classical pianist looking at scholarships to music academies all over the world, I know what quality of sound means. Although, I can't judge akerfeldt because I don't have any formal guitar instruction. I'm a self taught loser. :)

I don't know though, there seems to be alot of very good guitarists at the board and most of them think Mikael is decent if not very good.

that's neat, so someone sat there and hit one note for hours until it sounds perfect. fantastic. but can they write a fucking melody? i know tons of guitarists that have awesome technique but can't write a good melody if their life depended on it.

and listen to an acclaimed jaz cd, you'll hear tons of mistakes. the thing is that the musician will force it to fit and play the note a couple of times to make it seem intentional.