Jon Nödtveidt/DISSECTION commits suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't heard too much Dissection myself, but this was still suprising new. Normally all I see on blabbermouth is crap. Something actually newsworthy was shocking to me.

Heh, interesting. I just love how people think that his murder makes him deserve no respect in death.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Heh, interesting. I just love how people think that his murder makes him deserve no respect in death.

It's not so much the fact that he murdered someone (or helped murder someone or whatever the fuck he did), but the fact that he has openly stated to feel no remorse whatsoever about what he did.

Exactly how much respect does someone who does that deserve?

Damn, shocking. As someone else stated, I don't know whether to believe it or not. The End Records says nothing about it (but then that wasn't their main label anyways, right?).

If it's true, that sucks.. R.I.P.

CAIRATH said:
It's not so much the fact that he murdered someone (or helped murder someone or whatever the fuck he did), but the fact that he has openly stated to feel no remorse whatsoever about what he did.

In death, as much as any other individual.

When I originally heard this a few hours ago I was very shocked and more than anything surprised because of all the people in the metal scene I wouldn't have thought Jon to commit suicide. Which is why still don't 100% believe this.

What has shocked me even more is the reaction of people all over the net. The complete lack of respect for a man whose band did progress black/death metal and influence countless bands is unbelievable.

CAIRATH said:

His stance on the murder was that he acknowledged it was an important event to happen in his life in order to progress and regretting what he did in the past is pointless. In my opinion it's better to move on and learn from things than to wallow in them and let it ruin your life.

I guess he saw it as the final stepping stone in his misanthropic battle against the forces of the cosmos, freeing the Black Flame from its mortal shell to do battle on the astral plains.

Or some equally dubious hocus pocus.

Anyhow, sad news - I get shivers listening to Live Legacy, it's superb.

Ex-cally-boo said:
In death, as much as any other individual.

You're retarded. But what else is new. Just because someone is dead doesn't mean they automatically deserve respect. Respect is earned by many things. Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is not one of them. Especially not when you've played a crucial part in someone else's death and don't seem to be too concerned about that at all. I respect his musical contributions to the metal scene. I don't however respect him as a person at all. And I'm not about to start now that he is dead.

Day_Before_Dawn said:
...and more than anything surprised because of all the people in the metal scene I wouldn't have thought Jon to commit suicide. Which is why still don't 100% believe this.

I felt the same way when I read it. From the interviews that I've seen and read with him he seemed a very determined individual and not someone who would do something like this. But the news is confirmed on the official Dissection website now so I see no real reason to doubt it anymore.

Day_Before_Dawn said:
What has shocked me even more is the reaction of people all over the net. The complete lack of respect for a man whose band did progress black/death metal and influence countless bands is unbelievable.

Given what he did and his over the top and beyond ridiculous philisophy that seemed to be taking up more of his time than actually making decent music anymore I don't think it's that unbelievable at all. I find it a little hard to take someone seriously who actually complained about how people come to metal concerts to drink beer and have fun rather than taking it incredibly seriously and following his satanic/anti-cosmic beliefs. The guy was so far out of touch with reality it's not even funny anymore.

Day_Before_Dawn said:
His stance on the murder was that he acknowledged it was an important event to happen in his life in order to progress and regretting what he did in the past is pointless. In my opinion it's better to move on and learn from things than to wallow in them and let it ruin your life.

That would be the completely selfish way of looking at it yes. Now imagine the guy who was killed was your son and think about how you'd feel knowing that the guy who helped kill him was walking around free and didn't seem too bothered by what he has done. By your logic you might as well never be sorry or regret anything because whatever happened is already in the past anyway. Seems like a pretty unhealthy and selfish attitude to life if you ask me.

Like I said, he deserves respect for his musical contributions, but nothing more than that. Nothing.

You're retarded. But what else is new. Just because someone is dead doesn't mean they automatically deserve respect. Respect is earned by many things. Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is not one of them. Especially not when you've played a crucial part in someone else's death and don't seem to be too concerned about that at all. I respect his musical contributions to the metal scene. I don't however respect him as a person at all. And I'm not about to start now that he is dead.

In death, all must be forgiven. Wether or not what he did while he was alive does not change that he is no longer part of this world, and to disrespect someone who is no longer here, is something I won't support.

Now I'm not saying I agree with what he did, because I don't, but I'm not going to agree with people saying he deserved to die and saying things against him while he is no longer alive.

CAIRATH said:
I felt the same way when I read it. From the interviews that I've seen and read with him he seemed a very determined individual and not someone who would do something like this. But the news is confirmed on the official Dissection website now so I see no real reason to doubt it anymore.

Where is it confirmed on the official website? I can't seem to find it...

I didn't say he deserved to die. I'm saying I don't really care that he did. And I just don't get that "in death all must be forgiven" attitude. Forgiveness is something you earn by repenting, not by dying (and certainly not by dying by your own hands).

I am an atheist and don't believe in any kind of afterlife whatsoever so to me all that counts is what someone does while they are alive. If you kill someone for any other reason than self-defense and never express any kind of regret for doing so then you are just a sub-human and deserve no respect either in life or in death. The way I see it, as long as he was alive he could have still come to his senses and done the right thing eventually. Now that he's dead he missed that oppertunity (unless he left a suicide note saying so but he doesn't seem like the type really).

J Mann said:
Where is it confirmed on the official website? I can't seem to find it...

http://www.dissection.nu/frames.htm

As rumours have started to spread we feel obliged to confirm Jon Nödtveidt's death. Jon Nödtveidt was a man who lived his life according to his convictions and True Will. A couple of days ago he chose to end his life by his own hands. As a true Satanist he led his life in the way he wanted and ended it when he felt that he had fulfilled his self-created destiny. Not everyone will have understanding or acceptance for his personal path in this life and beyond, but all must respect his choice.

Those of us who have met him in his last days can assure that he was more focussed, happier and stronger than ever. It is our full conviction that he left this world of lies with a scornful laughter, knowing that he had fulfilled everything that he had set up for himself to accomplish. The empty space that he leaves behind will be filled with the dark essence that he manifested through his life and black-magical work. His legacy and Luciferian Fire will live on through those few who truly knew him and appreciated his work for what it really was and still is. As our brother's goal in life and death never was to "Rest in Peace", we will instead wish him victories in all battles to come, until the Acosmic Destiny has been fulfilled.

For the glory of the Dark Gods and the Wrathful Chaos!

CAIRATH said:

I must be fucking retarded cause I still don't see it. However the quote you provided sounds official so I have no more reason to not believe it.

My thoughts about his suicide are the same as I think about any suicide: a lame way to 'escape' this world. Jon obviously did it for quite different reasons than your average Myspace A7X fan, but nonetheless it is quite a moronic thing to do. Especially if you belong to a sect that is so obsessed with the self, being the lone wolf, battling society and what not to just randomly decide to give up one day instead of actually going down in battle.

Odd. Have you visited the site recently? Maybe you have an old version left in your browser cache or something. It's right there on the main page.

Status
Not open for further replies.