Just saw The Mars Volta play last night..

Rocky Raccoon

I am the Walrus
Feb 24, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Fuck do they kick ass live or what? I was pretty blowin away!
Who else here has seen them live? What did you think?
I thought the new drummer did a really good job, very high energy and a very hard hitter at times. Still love Jon Theodre but man, this new drummer is brilliant in diferent ways and it kinda added a new dimension to them
All in all an awesome gig!! They played for nearly 2 hours too!!!!!:kickass:

Uhh, good for you man, glad you enjoyed the show...but to me it would be the equivalent of getting raped by a dinossaur...in other words, i would never spend my precious money to see them :erk:

Yea I was there last night man, I was real fucking impressed with them, nonstop rocking. That drummer must be fit as fuck to keep playing the way he was, lucky enough to meet the drummer (who's a sound mofo), guitarist and keyboard dude afterwards, i think he was hitting the strip club.

Yea joints and a few ales beforehand was a must

Yea I was there last night man, I was real fucking impressed with them, nonstop rocking. That drummer must be fit as fuck to keep playing the way he was, lucky enough to meet the drummer (who's a sound mofo), guitarist and keyboard dude afterwards, i think he was hitting the strip club.

Yea joints and a few ales beforehand was a must

ha awesome to hear you had a good time dude! Was the sound good where you were? I was standing near the front by the pit and the sound was awesome but I had mates who were seated upstairs and they complained about the sound.

i'd probably enjoy a live Mars Volta show if the guitarist and singer would stop flipping out all the time, and worry more about hitting notes that mesh with the phrasing of whatever nonsense they're playing...

i'm all about improv (huge jazz/fusion fan) but you have to have a fair balance of energy and musicianship...if you're spending all your energy spazzing out, it's gonna sound like mud...

^ You're retarded

I was in the pit area 5 rows back or so centre, I think you gotta be in the middle to get good sound I was haning round the right for a little while and it sounded dirty, 'specially the singing.
Fucking good gig though, roll on fucking Slayer + Mastodon thats gonna be a fucking amazing gig

I can only imagine how amazing that band is live. Cant wait to see them one day!!!!! Im sure in some ways the music is better live, some of the jams get tiring on CD sometimes, they are kind of a live band.

^ You're retarded

I was in the pit area 5 rows back or so centre, I think you gotta be in the middle to get good sound I was haning round the right for a little while and it sounded dirty, 'specially the singing.
Fucking good gig though, roll on fucking Slayer + Mastodon thats gonna be a fucking amazing gig

yea dude, also pretty keen for Lamb of god aye, more so than Slayer/Mastadon actually..