KILLER Soldano VST Preamp

shaun_the_sheep_393759a.jpg

Metaltastic,
A bit OT, but I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed in the Mesa oversized cab once you get it. My biggest complaint with the oversized cabs is the over-abundance of low-mids (wool) and farty bottom end. I find that regular sized cabs are much better in this area. IMO, the Mesa oversized = super-wooly.

Metaltastic,
A bit OT, but I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed in the Mesa oversized cab once you get it. My biggest complaint with the oversized cabs is the over-abundance of low-mids (wool) and farty bottom end. I find that regular sized cabs are much better in this area.

+1

All I know is the Stiletto cab most definitely has too much mids, even for me, so the Recto cab can't be any worse! (mustn't confuse "wooly" with "woofy," the latter is much lower, like 100-200 Hz, in the bass range, and that's what I've heard the Recto cab accused of having too much of, but it seems a far easier beast to tame!)

I don't know if the "woofy" shit is what I like, but I just love it when guitars go like "Ooooommmmmppphh" on the palm mutes. If they don't, it just sounds dead and sterile, and even worse if you're using a digital tone, then it becomes REALLY digital :p

I've actually experimented with this some while ago. On my very first project, last summer, I just simply high passed the guitars at like 150 hz. Instant thin sound and it turned out crappy, however, the bass guitar managed to fill it in so it was somewhat OK in the end. But with my latest tone, I've only high passed at like 50 hz or something to get rid of the absolutely unnecessary lows, and then just multibanded the rest of the fuckers. Resulted in a very fat sound and it really helped the "digital sterileness" by tons and tons.

Here is a short clip. Just scratch guitars and scratch drums (programmed), but the sound is much more meaty since I compressed the lows instead of just cutting them out. Gives the guitars a bit more realistic dynamics too... I love that bass "thump" that is generated through a real cab, even if you pick lighter strings, which I'm kinda getting now. The tone could still need tweaking as usual, but it should be far better than my previous tone that I was seriously planning to use for something... gotta dig up a clip of that.

Found the old sound!. Unfortunately, this is only 2 guitars... not same DIs but it's the same guitar and strings. I notice now that I play more sloppy on this clip which is only like a month older than the latest... good, I'm getting better :) The sound though... seriously, yuck... there are no words to describe how fucking horrible that tone is. I think I stepped it up quite far with my latest tone :p Atleast I like to think so! And yeah, on this clip, there is no multiband comp going on I think. Pretty sure atleast..

Edit: The clips have nothing to do with the soldano preamp plug... it was just a little side-topic to the wooliness and woofy stuff :p

I just recorded a short clip from your excellent amp sim, loved how it sound :) don't mind my sloppy playing tho lol

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/958350/soldano%20test.mp3

Thanks so much LeoPu!!! greatest amp sim EVER! and it's FREEE!!!
can't believe it's free, this amp sim up to compete with some "expensive" amp sim on the market just even better.

the only thing it could be better is the noise level I think.
really love the crunchy tone come from your sim : ) great work again!

Oh, I forgot to mention this LePou.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

This sim seems to be nailing some awesome thrash tones, which is just what I need right now as I'm working on some Thrash Covers, thanks a lot buddy.

Bereavement sweet sounding guitars! Can you post how you got that sound out of solo c? Maybe screenshots? What is your guitar chain? And what drums are u using? This amp sim seriously kicks arse!

Messed around with this last night on a decapitated cover that I'd been using Wagner for.
It's really good- bit clearer than wagner but a bit scratchier too, not as heavy as wagner in the low end but with a good bass tone that'd be nicely filled out.
Savage. definately gonna play with this over my next few projects.