Krank!

Hi Andy.This is my 1st post I wanted to introduce myself to you and I'm a definitely a big fan of your work.Anyway, I'm an amp dealer here in the USA with my main interests being in the high gain /metalhead amp market.I only carry a few lines of amp's and only sell amp's that I personally like and play. I am pretty friendly with Jody from Krank amp's and over the past year they have sent me 3 amp's to try to see if I would take them on as a dealer. The 1st amp which was a Revolution came in about a year ago and it was a huge disappointment especialy after hearing a metal clip from the website cause it sounded nothing like it at all. I tried everything possible to get a tone I was happy with from using different guitars,pickups,cab's and even other guitarists but it just had a horrible thin tone which made all of my guitar's regardles of the pickup's being used sound like single coil's that had a twang from hell that just could not be dialed out.The recorded tones just were not happening either so I sent it back and did not hear from them up until around November of last year. Jody called me and said he would like to send another amp out to me cause he thought I would be really impressed with it this time around. I'm alway's open to try a Metal Amp out especially and since Dime just started with the endorsement I wanted to hear if something major had changed cause I have alway's loved his tone on most album's.I got the amp the following week and I immediately liked it much better than the 1st one sent out me without question.It sounded much better in person and recorded much better as well and most importantly the TWANG was gone. Nonetheless even though I thought it was much better but the overall voicing and recording's I got still left me unimpressed so I still have not signed up with them yet. My hopes lie with the "Dimebag Krankenstein" and I should be getting one in the next 6-7 week's or so to try out.

I really think Jody at Krank from is a great guy from my dealing's with him so far and I just wish I liked the amp's tones to take them on especially with all these big name artist's signing up with them cause I'm sure will help them sell a ton of amp's without question but like I said I just can't sell something I'm personally not into.

I know amptone is all subjective yada yada but I would really like to know what about the Revolution made you impressed so far.I thought the amp had an amazing clean channel and had tones that were more suited to Rock/Hardrock cause there was not enough saturation for the metal tones I like. I can't wait to hear your demo recording's that you will be posting soon and if possible can you give a rundown on what gear you used to record them with and how you recorded them. I'd really like to hear if possible just a single tracked clip with just guitar as well as somehthing multi tracked with a backing of at least just drum's. I have a couple clip's I recorded of the one I had recently but the result's were pretty dull IMO.

Sorry for the long post but I gotta tell you having a forum with guy's like yourself and James Murphy posting regularly as well as other's who I don't know about yet is F'in AWESOME!!I hope this goes on for a long time cause I hope to learn alot here.

Regards,
Derek Bernier
www.rocksolidamps.com

My hopes lie with the "Dimebag Krankenstein" and I should be getting one in the next 6-7 week's or so to try out.

hello,
personally i also loved dime's tone (r.i.p)
the tone he got out of a warhead was freaking amazing ...
so maybe i like the krankenstein model as much as the warhead :)
speaking of legendary guitar players any of you guys know what eddy is playing next ???
ashdown or something would be nice :cool:

mark

marcust said:
My hopes lie with the "Dimebag Krankenstein" and I should be getting one in the next 6-7 week's or so to try out.

hello,
personally i also loved dime's tone (r.i.p)
the tone he got out of a warhead was freaking amazing ...
so maybe i like the krankenstein model as much as the warhead :)
speaking of legendary guitar players any of you guys know what eddy is playing next ???
ashdown or something would be nice :cool:

mark

Who know's with all the people Krank is getting under their belt maybe he might end up playing a Krank of some sort:D

Yeah I too have been checking here regularly awaiting Andys' Krank mp3 samples. I hope he gives us his signal chain too for the mp3's ( guitar>>Krank...of course>>>what type of mic(57 Andys' favorite!!!) & mic pre>>> into what converter>>>>straight to Pro Tools or tape.
I know one guy who kinda said the same thing about those mp3 samples at Krank. When he got his Krank it sounded nothing like those demos'. I wonder if their mp3 samples were to tape or disc? Hey Commandante, I found a place cheaper than that guy! How much cheaper I don't know. I gotta call them tomorrow and I'll let ya'll know!

Some of those ENGL samples are really nice. The second guitarist in a new band I'm starting up with just bought himself a powerball and runs it through some marshall 1960 cab. Can't wait to hear it.

Still lookin forward to those Krank samples.

I hate the sound of Engl's, seems like my v-amp with mids scooped. The only one I was able to like, from a sample at rocksolidamps, was Engl SE.

Since we are at it, a friend of mine who got an Engl Ritchie Blackmore head and respective standard 4x12 engl cab, said he couldn't get a tone similar to that you've in recorded the samples. Could you unleash the secret magic (settings, guitar/pickups, extra rig, etc)? (I'm expecting you to tell you used the cab with V30s and a guitar with emg's, but...oh well)

Hey Derek, I'm amazed you couldn't get a good tone out the Revolution, it was literally plug in and go here (once we'd discovered they'd sent us a 110v version doh!) , I don't know whether they've changed anything since then, or if you had a duff one but there's certainly no twangyness here. Though there is a great attack that reminds me of a Marshall 800's and they can sound thin if the gtr is under powered but I'm using EMG's into this. I did some reamping yesterday where a Jap Jackson had been used and that sounded a little soft so I did the usual tube screamer trick and it came out really aggressive. I'll get a link and pictures up in the next few hours.

Andy Sneap said:
Hey Derek, I'm amazed you couldn't get a good tone out the Revolution, it was literally plug in and go here (once we'd discovered they'd sent us a 110v version doh!) , I don't know whether they've changed anything since then, or if you had a duff one but there's certainly no twangyness here. Though there is a great attack that reminds me of a Marshall 800's and they can sound thin if the gtr is under powered but I'm using EMG's into this. I did some reamping yesterday where a Jap Jackson had been used and that sounded a little soft so I did the usual tube screamer trick and it came out really aggressive. I'll get a link and pictures up in the next few hours.
Aah, so you need a tube screamer then.

Rats.

I guess it is not that great an amp after all. :(

Nitronium Blood said:
Aah, so you need a tube screamer then. Rats.
I guess it is not that great an amp after all. :(
try re-reading Andy's statement... the guitar used was a crappy jap Jackson with lame pick-ups... he added the Tube Screamer to make up for the guitar/pick-ups, not the amp.

Andy has already made the statement several times in this thread that the Krank sounds killer.... and why are we all here anyway? because we love his productions. if you like someone's productions then it is a given that you feel they have good ears that are in line with your own tastes... otherwise you wouldn't like their productions and likely wouldn't be a regular on their forum, now would you? :D

ok heres the proof
http://www.audiostreet.net/sneapsamplemp3s

Don't you just love that mp3 quality :yuk:

These gtrs are flat, no EQ and compression, one either side.
On the first demo (Rise To Addiction) the first and second riff is a Jackson Custom Shop straight into the Revolution, groovier riff was a Les Paul Custom , both have EMG 81's.

Second demo is The Clan Destined, cheaper Jap Jackson V with Duncan Designed pick ups so I just juiced it slightly, and I mean very slightly with the maxon 820 Tube Screamer.
DSC00125.JPG

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

morningstar said:
I hate the sound of Engl's, seems like my v-amp with mids scooped. The only one I was able to like, from a sample at rocksolidamps, was Engl SE.

Since we are at it, a friend of mine who got an Engl Ritchie Blackmore head and respective standard 4x12 engl cab, said he couldn't get a tone similar to that you've in recorded the samples. Could you unleash the secret magic (settings, guitar/pickups, extra rig, etc)? (I'm expecting you to tell you used the cab with V30s and a guitar with emg's, but...oh well)

Hi Morningstar. Guitar tone and amp likes and dislikes are all subjective to the listener's ear's for the most part which I'm sure you already know with that being said, Engl amp's are the best amp's I ever played for the metal tones I like and I'm lucky to sell something I believe in 100% myself.

Regarding the Blackmore model clip's and othe Engl clip's on my site they are all done plugged straight into the amp with no added boost's or pre /post EQ of any kind.This is one that was just done the day before yesterday per a customer's request of the Blackmore tracked alone and single tracked using a Sennheiser MD 421 and the new Engl XXL 4x12 cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's. The guitar used was my Jackson King V loaded with you guessed it Emg 81 bridge/85 pickup's. I recorded it using my Digi 002 console and used the on board mic pre's.The amp had the following setting's.

Gain- 2:30-3:00
Bass- 3:00
Treble - Noon
Mid- 2:00
Presence- 11:00

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/Blackmore Chug 2.mp3

Derek:cool:

Andy Sneap said:
ok heres the proof
http://www.audiostreet.net/sneapsamplemp3s

Don't you just love that mp3 quality :yuk:

These gtrs are flat, no EQ and compression, one either side.
On the first demo (Rise To Addiction) the first and second riff is a Jackson Custom Shop straight into the Revolution, groovier riff was a Les Paul Custom , both have EMG 81's.

Second demo is The Clan Destined, cheaper Jap Jackson V with Duncan Designed pick ups so I just juiced it slightly, and I mean very slightly with the maxon 820 Tube Screamer.
DSC00125.JPG

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

Thanks for the clip's Andy. You definitely got a better clearer tone than I did but the low end sound's very flabby. Maybe due to the MP3 conversion. I still prefer the tone of a 5150/Rectifier much more though. What mic pre was the 57 plugged into?

Derek:cool: