Krank!

Andy,

Thanks for the clips and photos! I was wondering what you were gonna do with that Pimp My Ride grill when it came time to mic it. Stock, it looked scary in terms of reflections off the metal.

I love the old school 800-esque bite and resonance which is really evident on the solo clip. That's the tone that made me want to play thrash guitar in the first place.

I'm pretty surprised they used Eminence V12's, since most prefer Celestion Vintage 30's, but I love those damn V12's. They're great at getting rid of the ice pick crackle and fizz on the high end. Check out the steep drop off after 3k on the freq. response chart:

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/legend/legv12.htm

In my experience, most speakers don't start to roll off until about 4 or 4.5k. V12's also have great presence and projection. Very narrow and focused as opposed to wide and flabby like, say, Greenbacks on the other extreme.

Bryan

Now I am contimplating putting EMG 81/85 setup in my les paul...hmmm...
anyway, sounds really good man. I too was betting the grill would be pulled off for recording.

evildonkeymaster said:
Now I am contimplating putting EMG 81/85 setup in my les paul...hmmm...
anyway, sounds really good man. I too was betting the grill would be pulled off for recording.
Do it! And while you are at it, put the 85 on the bridge! I have the same exact setup on my LP.

commandante said:
Do it! And while you are at it, put the 85 on the bridge! I have the same exact setup on my LP.
yeah, i've been using an 85 in the bridge since 1993 when i was doing the Disincarnate album with Colin Richardson in Wales, UK. we tried out the 85 in the bridge on the recommendation of a guitar tech at a shop in Liverpool... actually had him install it in the the bridge position of my Gibson Flying V, which i used for all the rhythm guitar on that album. most people these days tend to think of the 85 as a "neck only" pick up.. but it was never only a neck pick-up, and EMG does not even market is as such.

there's a few other guys around these days that are using 85's in the bridge. two examples are my friends Joel from Killswitch Engage and Jon of Shadows Fall.

James Murphy said:
there's a few other guys around these days that are using 85's in the bridge. two examples are my friends Joel from Killswitch Engage and Jon of Shadows Fall.

I've heard of a lot of different guys doing that actually. What would you say is the tonal difference between having an 81 or 85 in the bridge? Does one have more bite, another more mids/body, etc?

Hey James but is the EMG 85 bassy for the bridge? I have the Zakk Wlyde pickup set for my Jackson and i have the 85 at the neck for cleans .... it is alittle bassy for the clean works or distortion.

how is the 85 for the bridge? Is it better then the 81? I guess then it means you could do osme distortion then change to clean with out changing the position of you toggle switch.

Is the 85 good for lead work, solos?

Considering Killsiwtch Engage and Shadows Fall THEY KICK ASS :worship: and plenty of harmonics and leads.....

James Murphy said:
yeah, i've been using an 85 in the bridge since 1993 when i was doing the Disincarnate album with Colin Richardson in Wales, UK. we tried out the 85 in the bridge on the recommendation of a guitar tech at a shop in Liverpool... actually had him install it in the the bridge position of my Gibson Flying V, which i used for all the rhythm guitar on that album. most people these days tend to think of the 85 as a "neck only" pick up.. but it was never only a neck pick-up, and EMG does not even market is as such.

Andy Sneap said:
if you are talking about tube screamer drive is pretty much all the way down, tone 12 oclock, level 12 o clock, thats on the second clip only

Andy, I meant the gain knob on the amp...

James Murphy said:

Kick Ass advice guys, I did some research and with the new "quik connect" it would be really really easy to just unscrew unconnect and switch the 81 and 85 when ever I wanted!! Bad ass! So now I have a new project for next weekend. Any one have tips on where to get the best price on EMGs that ships fast (want them here by friday if possible live in California).

One other question James or anyone else who uses EMGs do you guys have the AfterBurner or the Phase switch setup? I hear that allot of metal players use one or both.
Thanks

Hey one thing, if you're getting EMGs for a Les Paul make sure you get them with the longer stems on the vol / tone pots. They makes a special set for Les Pauls. I've always gone with an 81 in the bridge but have used an 85 before, still works great, little darker from what I remember.

I've got the ZW set, it costs the same as two seperate pickups and comes with both a short and long stemmed set of pots. The tone and volume are pre-wired together too to make it even easier to fit them into a Les Paul (annoying if you need to put them in a different guitar though).

Andy Sneap said:
Hey one thing, if you're getting EMGs for a Les Paul make sure you get them with the longer stems on the vol / tone pots. They makes a special set for Les Pauls. I've always gone with an 81 in the bridge but have used an 85 before, still works great, little darker from what I remember.
Yup, if you get the ZW set you will get both large and short shaft pots, so you won't have any problems.

For EMG advice: I found 85 to be too bassy and muddy on the neck of a Les Paul, but I like it a lot on the bridge. It is not too trebly like a 81 and has more of a full body sound. On the other hand, 81 gives some nice bright cleans on the neck.

commandante said:
For EMG advice I found 85 to be too bassy and muddy on the neck of a Les Paul, but I like it a lot on the bridge. It is not too trebly like an 81 and has a more of a full body sound. On the other 81 gives some nice bright cleans on the neck.
In response to this i'll quote my favorite master of genuine frontier gibberish, Gabby Johnson: "Reverend!!"

Sorry man, I was at work when I posted that my english is even worse than usual when I am stressed. The boss might have caught me!

commandante said:
Sorry man, I was at work when I posted that my english is even worse than usual when I am stressed. The boss might have caught me!
huh? i was agreeing with you!

I can't access the clips. When I try to save the file it is an m3u file. wtf? :erk:

got it now, nevermind :)