Larry's pole - oops - poll on new ND products

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
In this weekend's podcast, Larry asked for feedback on what kinds of things we as listeners would like to have from ND (besides simply new CDs of original material). So here goes, we can start a focus group!

My vote would go towards either a combined live DVD / CD (either of a "regular" show or acoustic or both), or a CD of cover songs.

Live CDs alone don't really do anything for me, unless something drastically different is done with the material to change it from how it appears on the studio CD - like how The Outlaws extended Green Grass and High Tides Forever to an entire album side on Bring It Back Alive, for you old people. Or how Zeppelin extended Dazed and Confused on The Song Remains the Same.

But concert footage on DVD is always welcome, since then we get to watch the performance. There are 2 new studio CDs since Novella Vosselar, which may be enough to justify a new live DVD. Better yet, you could include two shows, one normal and one acoustic, and also have the audio CDs to go with them as a bonus, particularly for an acoustic set.

I'd also love to hear Novembers Doom-ized versions of some of the music that you've used as influences. For example, I'd love to hear ND cover Pink Floyd. Just not Atom Heart Mother, please. Or maybe some Beatles.

GottlichKrieger posted about wanting an acoustic CD in the Podcast thread, so I wanted to make sure that got here, too...

Ken

I think I mentioned it in a previous threads.
A lot of the hotter newer bands began generating buzz from having limited product on the market. Let's face it, retro has become hip. Limited singles, EPs, etc are being eaten up like crazy.

Therefore, something like a numbered limited Acoustic EP would be good, as that product would immediately go up on eBay, and would attract collectors.

Honestly, with so many bands touring now more than ever to combat decreasing CD / record sales, though not always feasible, not much can top getting out and playing live more often.

TICKETS!!! LIVE SHOWS!!! But aside from that, I would LOVE to hear some Novembers Doom'ized covers, it would be great to hear you guys take some stuff like King Crimson or Rush, and I would still love to here ND's take on an older nevermore song, I think that would be really interesting. Iced Earth was being kicked around earlier on some thread, and I would be all for that. Also I would LOVE a death cover, that would be really interesting to my ears, hearing your guys take on a death tune. Basically I would love to hear you guys cover bands you don't sound like, but share elements with.

Not sure if you all were paying close attention.
A couple years back some interesting covers were indeed recorded.
Hopefully these will see the light of day.

I also think an acoustic disc of live and studio material would be cool. Even a mix of ND songs and covers from bands that influence them would be a cool acoustic disc.

I want a live album!

I think this is a great time for one - the last four albums have been extremely strong, and there's a lot of older material to draw on as well.

I like Ken's idea; having a CD+DVD edition of live stuff would be really great. Otherwise I don't really like the idea of limited stuff... I want to be able to pick it up in my local store, or just order it at a reasonable price.

Yesterday I sent an email with a suggestion to the emailaddress for the podcast. Today I got an email back: Mail delivery failed. The message stated: recipient rejected.
Is that because I did something wrong?

Thanks. Email sent to both additional emailaddresses.

[Edit] Email to the last emailaddress returned, reading: Comcast block for spam.
I guess you should have received the mail on the first emailaddress.

I think you should make an album with Justin Bieber and Jay-Z kind of similar to what Linkin Park did a few years ago. If not, then you should all cut your hair like Bieber... the chicks dig it!

- Joel

Well we have Vito to do all the silly haircutting nonsense and club hopping. Otherwise I think we'll stick to what we've been doing....

Hmm too bad well failing that I'll jump on the bandwagon and say an acoustic album would be welcome! Maybe do a limited edition run that includes a bottle of your sweat and/or tears! :kickass:

- Joel

I think a compilation of live footage, music videos, and behind the scenes jackassery complete with a band commentary track on a DVD would be great, especially if there's any video showing any of the horror stories described on the podcast.