Last movie you've watched

Hell yeah. I saw this when it hit the UK in September and it's excellent. Maybe I'm being unfair but I didn't think many whom frequent this board would enjoy it.

It's brilliantly told, and despite the post-modern ending being every-so-slightly wanky, it's awesome. Some of the direction is mind blowing (I'm thinking of a certain beach scene).

I didn't like it, and i'm in the minority amongst my friends. Seriously, a girl who thought she did something wrong when she was an adolescent and feels bad? The sentimentality of it all bugs me and anyone who could cry during this is just being silly. When you do something 'bad' as a child out of events you don't and can't understand there's nothing to atone for.

The Simpson's Movie - It wasn't as bad as I had heard. I hadn't watcheed the show for a few years as the humor was declining but this did okay. The plot was kinda weak but who cares?

The Brave One - Jodie Foster did a good job but this movie was highly predictable. As far as revenge films go, I prefer Death Sentence to this.

I didn't like it, and i'm in the minority amongst my friends. Seriously, a girl who thought she did something wrong when she was an adolescent and feels bad? The sentimentality of it all bugs me and anyone who could cry during this is just being silly. When you do something 'bad' as a child out of events you don't and can't understand there's nothing to atone for.

If you cannot grasp the moral centre of the movie then of course you won't like it. It was perfectly clear to me what emotional strings were being played, and for hundreds of other people too. You don't need to like the movie, but criticising people for crying at it? I'll contend that's quite ridiculous, especially considering that it's quite a moving piece.

She wanted to Atone because she realised how her childish misunderstanding had deprived her sister of her love, the focus lies there. Dismissing the atonement as pointless because she was a silly unaware child is circular thinking, for the rub is that she was silly and jealous and as an adult she now regrets it.

I thought the ending was a little strange, and perhaps played on the sentimentality you dislike so much, but it's required to give the plot twist an emotional force.

In short, I don't understand your criticism at all.

If you cannot grasp the moral centre of the movie then of course you won't like it. It was perfectly clear to me what emotional strings were being played, and for hundreds of other people too. You don't need to like the movie, but criticising people for crying at it? I'll contend that's quite ridiculous, especially considering that it's quite a moving piece.

She wanted to Atone because she realised how her childish misunderstanding had deprived her sister of her love, the focus lies there. Dismissing the atonement as pointless because she was a silly unaware child is circular thinking, for the rub is that she was silly and jealous and as an adult she now regrets it.

I thought the ending was a little strange, and perhaps played on the sentimentality you dislike so much, but it's required to give the plot twist an emotional force.

In short, I don't understand your criticism at all.

Wait a minute.. you're saying she wants to atone for the consequences of her actions. Where does the morality enter into it? Sure, she felt herself to blame for what happened, but anything could have happened. Was the breakout of the war her fault? Was his enlisting of his own volition and being killed her fault? These consequences are the result of a huge sum of circumstances. She could in no way have anticipated, especially at her age, his unforeseeable suffering or death as a result of her acts which were little more than childhood blunders - the film went to great efforts in the early stages to point out her innocence. Who knows, he might have fought in the war anyway, and in her book, if I was in his or her sister's position I wouldn't hesitate to forgive. All i'm saying is that I didn't relate to the emotion content because I thought it irrational and therefore, sentimental. If I swat a fly which somehow leads to the extinction of a species of spider by starvation, i'm not going to feel responsible. I liked some scenes, especially the beach one.

Wait a minute.. you're saying she wants to atone for the consequences of her actions. Where does the morality enter into it? Sure, she felt herself to blame for what happened, but anything could have happened. Was the breakout of the war her fault? Was his enlisting of his own volition and being killed her fault? These consequences are the result of a huge sum of circumstances. She could in no way have anticipated, especially at her age, his unforeseeable suffering or death as a result of her acts which were little more than childhood blunders - the film went to great efforts in the early stages to point out her innocence. Who knows, he might have fought in the war anyway, and in her book, if I was in his or her sister's position I wouldn't hesitate to forgive. All i'm saying is that I didn't relate to the emotion content because I thought it irrational and therefore, sentimental. If I swat a fly which somehow leads to the extinction of a species of spider by starvation, i'm not going to feel responsible. I liked some scenes, especially the beach one.

You've made yourself clearer now. I still disagree. The chain of events were not all of her making, but her adult self felt guilty for setting some of them in motion, ergo the need to Atone for them. I think you're being overly harsh on her motives, although logically, of course, you're not far off. Nevertheless I can identify with her feeling immense guilt and needing to atone for her actions, I suppose if you cannot then that's just what happens.

There is no requirement for us all to feel the same when watching a piece of cinema, regardless of the movies intentions, indeed it's good that we don't all feel the same. With this you just happen to feel no sympathy for the films main premise! :lol:

Alot of good cinematography though, ay?

Interesting discussion though. Cheers.

Rush Hour 3 - Talk about a franchise hitting the wall. Begins with an event that makes no sense to start with and revolves around it through the duration of the movie. Jackie Chan is slowing down and Chris Tucker is only tolerable in small doses. Ridiculous and insensible action sequences. This barely qualifies as a popcorn flick.

Good Luck Chuck - Not a bad little movie but seemed like it was trying too hard to move in on the Knocked Up/Superbad territory. It did have some funny moments. Jessica Alba, as always, looks fantastic.

3:10 To Yuma - A very engaging story. Very well acted. Although not usually a Russel Crowe fan, he shines in this one. I can see where the ending polarized viewers. I'm still trying to make full sense of it. Insult or genius? Well worth a watch.