Last movie you've watched

Children of Men and Pans Labyrinth. Need I say any more? I cannot recommend Children of Men enough, Curt. It was released here in October, I believe it was late December in the states, go see it, followed by Pans Labyrinth.

I babble, but trust me. :)

Downfall is an amazing movie - and I definately thankyou for reminding me about the title (which I completely forgot!)

No worries. I love good war movies.

I also recommend "A Bridge Too Far", which was made in the 70s (late 70s, I believe) but it's damn good. The trouble with many WWII films that were created in the fifties, sixties, and portion of the seventies are that they essentially consist of a bunch of fake stereotypical American troops being shot at by stereotypical Axis enemies, all the while followed along by a camera. A Bridge Too Far is everything BUT that.

The last one I saw at the theatre was "The Good Shepherd", which was kind of a disappointent. Bascially it could've used a little less brooding and a little more shooting.

The last one I saw on TV was "Nacho Libre".

just watched "Dog Soldiers"

great film, even better than I expected. The plot and acting and stuff was very good, some great gory and scary parts, amazing special effects, I actually can't think of ANYTHING bad about this film! This might actually be the perfect horror movie, definitely recommended

Children of Men and Pans Labyrinth. Need I say any more? I cannot recommend Children of Men enough, Curt. It was released here in October, I believe it was late December in the states, go see it, followed by Pans Labyrinth.

I babble, but trust me. :)

Yes, I've read rave reviews of each. And I aim to go see them. I just dont consider them big-budget Hollywood fare.

I do remember I very much enjoyed Crank. A fun B-action flick with Jason Stathem. Although I dont think it was a big budget movie.

'Thirteen' was the last movie I watched. It had a pretty dramatic way of documenting youth attraction to "coolness" and a longing to be popular. What I mean is the main character's gross transformation was so quickly paced throughout that it almost seemed to be happening too quickly to be convincing. Having said that, the camera work in particular had a raw feel to it; almost as though they were filming a documentary. As much as I hate to say it, the closest analogy I could make in terms of how it was filmed would be to modern reality TV. Anyone who's seen 'Kids' will know what I'm on about.

metal_wrath: American History X is really powerful, if a bit "heavy going" in places. And Dog Soldiers rules mainly because it was set right here in the Highlands.:) (And of course, the werewolves, buckets of blood, interesting deaths, one-liners and so on..)

I agree: American History X actually made me cry a few years ago

Last movie was 2 days ago: Slither from the same dude as Dawn of the dead. The ending came too soon

I thought American History X did a good job in making it's point, although it may have been somewhat misleading and forcible in trying to prove something. I would compare it to 'Crash' in a way but it is much more powerful, and imo Crash failed at trying to make a racial statement, also there was just too much "Grammy-attention-seeking". American History X was very shocking I think and maybe they could have been more tasteful, although I guess it was a realistic portrayal or whatever, good movie though :)

Silent Hill. What twisted messed up motherfucker comes up with monsters like that? Some one needs some serious mental help! Good film though, and the female traffic cop was sooo hot....shame they burned her.

Well, as for these big-budget hollywood adolescent-fests of special effects etc, I havent seen a decent one in a long time. Pirates was one of the worst movies Ive ever seen, the Star Wars prequels and Matrix sequels were terrible, Da Vinci code, X-men was terrible, I hated the Spiderman movies, god, I really cant remember the last one I enjoyed. Name some good ones over the last few years.

I feel exactly the same way, I generally avoid big budget films because they are more often than not directed at the lowest common denominator. The more hyped they are, the more put off them I am. It took me 3 or 4 years to see Titanic after it came out. I still haven't seen any Lord Of The Rings films.

The last film I watched was "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" the other night. Quite entertaining and well put together and shot. The black metal interviews were hilarious, and the part where Dee Snider describes himself going up against the PMRC in the 80's was quality as well.

I feel exactly the same way, I generally avoid big budget films because they are more often than not directed at the lowest common denominator. The more hyped they are, the more put off them I am. It took me 3 or 4 years to see Titanic after it came out. I still haven't seen any Lord Of The Rings films.

I agree with you. But there's a cheap low-quality enjoyment one sometimes gets from watching these movies. What spoils them for me is when they try to be too serious or didactic (X-Men, Spiderman), or they're just so bad, its hard not to laugh (Pirates). And what really spoils it is the number of idiots that takes these movies so seriously, and think them high art! God, if I have to listen to anymore puerile movie quotes, I'm going to ring a fucking neck.

The first Ring movie is very good. The following two I thought quite dumb in plot and needlessly long, but the visuals are still stunning and one is at the very least transported to another world.

The Departed. Why was this film praised so much? Seems to me it was made only to flout as many Hollywood stars as possible. The dialogue was cliched American-tough-guy talk and would have been bearable if it had actually stopped for one second to let the audience think, but it doesn't. And the plot, which was probably the film's strongest point, was nothing we haven't seen before.

The Departed. Why was this film praised so much? Seems to me it was made only to flout as many Hollywood stars as possible. The dialogue was cliched American-tough-guy talk and would have been bearable if it had actually stopped for one second to let the audience think, but it doesn't. And the plot, which was probably the film's strongest point, was nothing we haven't seen before.

I agree with you. But there's a cheap low-quality enjoyment one sometimes gets from watching these movies. What spoils them for me is when they try to be too serious or didactic (X-Men, Spiderman), or they're just so bad, its hard not to laugh (Pirates). And what really spoils it is the number of idiots that takes these movies so seriously, and think them high art! God, if I have to listen to anymore puerile movie quotes, I'm going to ring a fucking neck.

I also get a some entertainment value out of the ridiculousness of these films, I pissed myself laughing through most of V for Vendetta for example. But once I stop laughing I shake my head in disbelief. It seems like the more money spent = the less thought put in.

The first Ring movie is very good. The following two I thought quite dumb in plot and needlessly long, but the visuals are still stunning and one is at the very least transported to another world.

The Japanese original is much better than the American version.

It's difficult not to enjoy the LOTR films.

Yeah I'll have to get around to seeing them one of these days.