Learning Swedish?

do i even want to know? unreal but pretty is one thing, ugly grotesque is something completely different...

back on topic (whew!): nobody who can check and correct errors in my translation of Till dånet av forsar och fall posted above? ^ :(

Haha I guess it's a matter of perspective/opinion, since I find them pretty.

Sorry, but my Swedish doesn't come remotely close to an editor's level. Maybe you should post it on the »Svenska only« thread?

Elvina, nice work. Did you use Google translator?

The Canadian History book is particularly good, it won the Will Eisner Award (;)). I recommend buying it, Amazon does deliver packages to Iceland, right? .
Yes, I buy from them sometimes. Last I got the George Carlin collection. I don't know about the canadian history book, though it's interesting and not too expensive I think;15$.

Djöfull;9740073 said:
Elvina, nice work. Did you use Google translator?
thnx ^^ yes google translator + new feature of alternative word translations + some simple logic :) like, it wouldn't translate jordbortnötningens but if you write it jord bort nötningens you would get soil removed abrasion where you could guess the meaning... although i'm not sure if i get the meaning right at times :D

Should I, should I really? So many books, so little time and space...

Then you should buy a history of Iceland!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/History-Iceland-Gunnar-Karlsson/dp/0816635897[/ame]

Djöfull;9742094 said:
Should I, should I really? So many books, so little time and space...

Then you should buy a history of Iceland!
http://www.amazon.com/History-Iceland-Gunnar-Karlsson/dp/0816635897

Done! Just added it to the cart, but you've to buy your Canada 4 Dummies book! Is there a better one on Iceland? Not sure how I feel about that one. Oh you should see my wishlist… and my room. The books don't fit anymore, and I don't want to have a bookcase made since I'm moving out. But the mess is killing me :p .

Done! Just added it to the cart, but you've to buy your Canada 4 Dummies book! Is there a better one on Iceland? Not sure how I feel about that one. Oh you should see my wishlist… and my room. The books don't fit anymore, and I don't want to have a bookcase made since I'm moving out. But the mess is killing me :p .
No I just browsed for a book. Don't know about the it. I saw another one where Jon Krakauer has photos in it( Into the wild).

Yeah, I mean it's always a problem with "stuff" so they need to be handpicked. Buy books you know you have use for. I might be more interested in the national parks there, theres one Dummies book about the canadian rockies: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470837284/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1894413288&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GKH3JJJW3YYXFNXX6MT[/ame]

Djöfull;9743254 said:
No I just browsed for a book. Don't know about the it. I saw another one where Jon Krakauer has photos in it( Into the wild).

Yeah, I mean it's always a problem with "stuff" so they need to be handpicked. Buy books you know you have use for. I might be more interested in the national parks there, theres one Dummies book about the canadian rockies: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GKH3JJJW3YYXFNXX6MT

Nah, I don't buy books that are only "have use for me", I like to study and learn about everything <nerd/>. It'd be great if you could recommend one that talks about Icelandic history and geography and/or geographical history. I'll browse some books, probably get them today. But you must buy the Canadian one; if not I'd feel cheated.

Nah, I don't buy books that are only "have use for me", I like to study and learn about everything <nerd/>. It'd be great if you could recommend one that talks about icelandic history and geography and/or geographical history. I'll browse some books, probably get them today. .
Then you should use... libraries.. I suppose there aren't there is not very much variety for english literature where you are though.

The author seems humorous. Have you picked up his book Why I hate Canadians? I hope he mixes seriousness and humour in the canadian history one. Seems quite nerdy to have that book, but I kind of like eccentricity.
But you must buy the Canadian one; if not I'd feel cheated
You must buy me a beer when I come to Costa Rica... :heh:

I really don't have much knowledge about books that cover Iceland in english...here's one on geology that seems good. http://www.landogsaga.is/section.php?id=2198&id_art=4896

Djöfull;9746473 said:
Then you should use... libraries.. I suppose there aren't there is not very much variety for english literature where you are though.

The author seems humorous. Have you picked up his book Why I hate Canadians? I hope he mixes seriousness and humour in the canadian history one. Seems quite nerdy to have that book, but I kind of like eccentricity.

You must buy me a beer when I come to Costa Rica... :heh:

I really don't have much knowledge about books that cover Iceland in english...here's one on geology that seems good. http://www.landogsaga.is/section.php?id=2198&id_art=4896

Actually I rarely use libraries; I prefer to make my own ;) . There's a lot of great stuff in the libraries here, obviously mostly in castellano.

Yeah I have "Why I Hate Canadians", really funny too; although I haven't finished it, I've the tendency of starting a book and then just leave it there for a while. I still haven't finished Cleland's "Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure" hahaha.

Of course, you can stay at my place to if you want to! :D My room is kind of small but unless you're more than 2m tall there shouldn't be any problems haha. But I guess by the time you come here I'd be somewhere else. Still, if you do come let me know and I can have someone help you out.

i'm trying out live mocha. it has a useful interactive swedish course, you can listen, write, speak, be corrected by native speakers.
the only problem after the first part is that you have to decide between: 1. buy the remaining parts 2. correct other people's exercises, which is really boring, because you have to correct tons of exercises to be able to do the second part! :rolleyes:

i'm trying out live mocha. it has a useful interactive swedish course, you can listen, write, speak, be corrected by native speakers.
the only problem after the first part is that you have to decide between: 1. buy the remaining parts 2. correct other people's exercises, which is really boring, because you have to correct tons of exercises to be able to do the second part! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've LiveMocha too, but felt quite discouraged when I saw that I have to correct other people's mistakes. I do that for a living, so I don't want to do it for free haha and I've enough with my students, thank you.

I heard about this live mocha a few weeks ago. I might try out the first course in swedish.

I've the tendency of starting a book and then just leave it there for a while.
Same problem with me! I should just leave a book at a special bookplace/ "night-table" to be read.
Of course, you can stay at my place to if you want to! :D My room is kind of small but unless you're more than 2m tall there shouldn't be any problems haha. But I guess by the time you come here I'd be somewhere else. Still, if you do come let me know and I can have someone help you out
How very nice of you. I could consider it in the next years...