Learning Swedish?

Well, if you want to talk about your maternal grandfather's paternal grandmother's paternal grandfather's maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's mother, then it's required of you.

In Norwegian that would be my Tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-oldemor. If I've counted this correctly. I rarely talk about her anyway.

Well, if you want to talk about your maternal grandfather's paternal grandmother's paternal grandfather's maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's mother, then it's required of you.

Hahahaha OK, I lost track after the 2nd grandfather.

:lol: Yeah, same here.

I mean, it never comes up, but as I understand the rules that would be technically correct.

Cool haha, I guess that if you want to talk about those folks you'd call them by their names.

In Norwegian that would be my Tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-tipp-oldemor. If I've counted this correctly. I rarely talk about her anyway.

This is much easier, and the same as Spanish. You say Tatara-tatara-tatara-tatara-tatara-tatara-tatara abuelo/a. The interesting thing is that it goes abuelo, bisabuelo and then tatarabuelo; you just keep adding the tataras :p .

Call from the grave?

I talk to her regularly, but I just rarely talk about her.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: this totally made my day hahahahahahahaha!

@novembers: since english is banned from the other thread i'll reply to you here, in english of course! :p
as you can see i'm not able to speak swedish correctly. that's because i've a very passive knowledge of the language.
i'm pretty good at understanding, since i can read everything you write (at least searching 2 or 3 words) but i'm not good at writing on my own.
i've never sat down and studied it seriously. i've only looked at a swedish grammar written in english and learnt the basic rules, those basic rules necessary to understand written swedish like en/ett words, definite and definite articles, verbs, adjectives...but for example i have no fucking idea of how to use prepositions, or i'm not sure about phrase constructions.
some things that i've found more oftently i can remember them also without having studied any rule (for example some construction like för att or things like that) but having had no teacher, and having never tried to speak it with anyone i find a lot of difficulty.
and yes, that's very embarassing!
with english is a little diverse. first i studied it at school and even if it has passed a century since i last opened a grammar book i still remember something here and there.
second i was teached and then i started from the beginning to be corrected and to speak or write it.
third it's a language that i use everyday, passively or not, writing here or reading on the web, so that's a constant training.
i'm still doing a lot errors in english, my english is faaar away from perfection, but i can read it really easily and i can write it really fast, like if i'm writing in italian. i haven't to think anymore about what i'm writing, and i think that's a great goal for a second language.

@novembers: since english is banned from the other thread i'll reply to you here, in english of course! :p
as you can see i'm not able to speak swedish correctly. that's because i've a very passive knowledge of the language.
i'm pretty good at understanding, since i can read everything you write (at least searching 2 or 3 words) but i'm not good at writing on my own.
i've never sat down and studied it seriously. i've only looked at a swedish grammar written in english and learnt the basic rules, those basic rules necessary to understand written swedish like en/ett words, definite and definite articles, verbs, adjectives...but for example i have no fucking idea of how to use prepositions, or i'm not sure about phrase constructions.
some things that i've found more oftently i can remember them also without having studied any rule (for example some construction like för att or things like that) but having had no teacher, and having never tried to speak it with anyone i find a lot of difficulty.
and yes, that's very embarassing!
with english is a little diverse. first i studied it at school and even if it has passed a century since i last opened a grammar book i still remember something here and there.
second i was teached and then i started from the beginning to be corrected and to speak or write it.
third it's a language that i use everyday, passively or not, writing here or reading on the web, so that's a constant training.
i'm still doing a lot errors in english, my english is faaar away from perfection, but i can read it really easily and i can write it really fast, like if i'm writing in italian. i haven't to think anymore about what i'm writing, and i think that's a great goal for a second language.

I suggest downloading Rosetta Stone, it really provides a brilliant basis.

Me? I'm learning Sanskrit and… Klingon :p .

tlhIngan maH!

OK, I'm reading and reading and it looks that Vintersorg's sort of swedish only sounds nice, but it's completely useless in practice.

@djöfull & tobz (linked to "prata svenska"):
i don't think there's something really special or weird in me italian who wants to learn a nordic tongue.
you're are learning italian djöfull (or have tried to, i don't know if you've given up or still continue :p), why should it be different?
i mean, just because we have a lot of art, history and things to see, so people wanna come here and visit our nation, that doesn't mean we must be interested only in our culture.
i'm proud of being italian, and i'm proud that a lot of foreigners love my country and often travel hundreds of kilometers to get here, but i'm also interested in other things.
i love the viking era, i love viking sagas, i love nordic folk tales and mithology, i love scadinavian metal, i love vintersorg, so why not to learn swedish?
i'm attracted by your culture as you probably are attracted by mine.
i always have the feeling we all love what it's far and different from us. so there's nothing to be surprised :)

edit: i've a terrible headache. no way i could tell this in swedish.
probably not even in normal conditions :lol:

I went through a phrasebook and to a small course in italian. Other than that I really haven't aspired to learn the language. Laziness and pointlessness being the reasons.+ I'm not a very disciplined person. If you don't constantly learn or speak a language it fades away in memory. It might come handy learning some basics though.

i always have the feeling we all love what it's far and different from us.
That is called xenocentric in sociological terms. My musical taste is mostly like that..

Well, you certainly go against the grain in your country and that is impressive. I'm wondering how you learn the language. By many things?

I hardly ever look at this thread. About time it changes..

OK, I'm reading and reading and it looks that Vintersorg's sort of swedish only sounds nice, but it's completely useless in practice.

Indeed! Mr V's lyrics are so poetic (see final part of Från materia til ande) that no one would speak like that. A pity, to be honest.

@djöfull & tobz (linked to "prata svenska"):
i don't think there's something really special or weird in me italian who wants to learn a nordic tongue.
you're are learning italian djöfull (or have tried to, i don't know if you've given up or still continue :p), why should it be different?
i mean, just because we have a lot of art, history and things to see, so people wanna come here and visit our nation, that doesn't mean we must be interested only in our culture.
i'm proud of being italian, and i'm proud that a lot of foreigners love my country and often travel hundreds of kilometers to get here, but i'm also interested in other things.
i love the viking era, i love viking sagas, i love nordic folk tales and mithology, i love scadinavian metal, i love vintersorg, so why not to learn swedish?
i'm attracted by your culture as you probably are attracted by mine.
i always have the feeling we all love what it's far and different from us. so there's nothing to be surprised :)

edit: i've a terrible headache. no way i could tell this in swedish.
probably not even in normal conditions :lol:

Yeah, I don't believe it's weird either; au contraire, I think that the more cultures/languages you know the wiser you are because you'll see different perspectives of life and the world. I do love everything that is far from here (haha), but I don't think that's the case with everyone. Just look at the US Americans, they don't go outside their country because they only know their own culture and think it's the best one. Happens a lot in Europe too, especially in France and DE (IMO, from my experience).

Djöfull;9735655 said:
I went through a phrasebook and to a small course in italian. Other than that I really haven't aspired to learn the language. Laziness and pointlessness being the reasons.+ I'm not a very disciplined person. If you don't constantly learn or speak a language it fades away in memory. It might come handy learning some basics though.

That is called xenocentric in sociological terms. My musical taste is mostly like that..

Well, you certainly go against the grain in your country and that is impressive. I'm wondering how you learn the language. By many things?

I hardly ever look at this thread. About time it changes..

You should practise Italian, you can do so with Lefay.

Didn't know about "Xenocentric", thanks.

Yeah, about time you visit this thread! :mad:

Yes, I might just go crazy in learning italian and swedish and german and spanish...to light up my bleak existence.

But you know... I could always do with english.

Djöfull;9736377 said:
Yes, I might just go crazy in learning italian and swedish and german and spanish...to light up my bleak existence.

But you know... I could always do with english.

Nah, you could learn Chinese, seems to have a better future as a language haha. And hence one could finally understand what they're saying when one orders food! :Smug:

"Get one of those foetuses out, that guy ordered chicken!"

Nah, you could learn Chinese, seems to have a better future as a language haha. And hence one could finally understand what they're saying when one orders food! :Smug:

"Get one of those foetuses out, that guy ordered chicken!"
hhMM... MY C.P.U. IS A PROCESSAH, A LÖRNING COMPUTA!

I'll leave this woman to teach you intimate icelandic:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZUkZHAq1Vk&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Hey, I was just realizing that I have STV1, a swedish channel that I always forget to watch. I should take an hour at least every week to watch it.

Just now I saw a coverage of Finland and how they are beginning to shift from swedish to english and some nationalists want to make finnish the official language.

Djöfull;9736598 said:
hhMM... MY C.P.U. IS A PROCESSAH, A LÖRNING COMPUTA!

I'll leave this woman to teach you intimate icelandic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZUkZHAq1Vk&feature=relmfu

Haha excellent! Thanks a lot. Funny haha, "you're beautiful" sounds (to me) like "you're fuckable" :lol: .

Djöfull;9736975 said:
Hey, I was just realizing that I have STV1, a swedish channel that I always forget to watch. I should take an hour at least every week to watch it.

Just now I saw a coverage of Finland and how they are beginning to shift from swedish to english and some nationalists want to make finnish the official language.

But what are Finland's major languages? Finnish and Swedish, ja? Are there other obscure indigenous languages there? Besides Finnish, I mean.

I guess it's a reasonable thing to do, since Finnish is threatened by English on one side, and Swedish on the other. I'd like to read the opinions of some Finns on the topic.

Haha excellent! Thanks a lot. Funny haha, "you're beautiful" sounds (to me) like "you're fuckable" :lol: .

But what are Finland's major languages? Finnish and Swedish, ja? Are there other obscure indigenous languages there? Besides Finnish, I mean.

I guess it's a reasonable thing to do, since Finnish is threatened by English on one side, and Swedish on the other. I'd like to read the opinions of some Finns on the topic.
OMG...haha.

Somehow this reminds my of the moment I was at Roskilde festival in 2005 where a seriously drunken norwegian dude was trying to ask me how to say "you have beautiful eyes" in icelandic. I tried a few times and he didn't get it, then after that he got it, only to forget to pronounce it after 20 seconds and kept asking me about it again. It was getting weird and bordering on homoeroticism. Damn my patience.

About the show:
It was not a topic there that english was threatening finnish. Rather that swedish had too much of a cultural stronghold in the country. In a classroom of youngsters only 3 out of 10 students raised their hands in agreement to learning swedish at school. It surprised me.

Maybe they are in the same situation youngsters here are, engulfed by english culture and not scandinavian, still we have to learn the language of our once colonial masters, danish. I can't say I'm totally against it, but there should be less emphasis on it( maybe it has diminished since I was @ school). I think there should maybe a scandinavian language class showing all the related languages, maybe to complex? But, nevertheless, one really learns a language properly out of a burning interest or even better; by moving there. Not because someone tries to shove it into your head at school.