Learning Swedish?

It depends in which area you're talking about and which universities, because I'm sure that the Art Colleges here are better than most of the ones in the US.

You guys got a better school than RISDI? Doubt it. ;)

The issue with American universities is that they have so much more money than schools anywhere else. The income of middle-of-the-pack American schools are on par with the best universities elsewhere. Top US schools have endowments in the billions of dollars (Harvard and Yale have tens of billions).

That's why you can learn Swedish at so many schools over here! They have the money for a token Swedish instructor! Hell, they teach Old Norse at my old school, and taught Sumerian at the place I went for college!

You guys got a better school than RISDI? Doubt it. ;)

The issue with American universities is that they have so much more money than schools anywhere else. The income of middle-of-the-pack American schools are on par with the best universities elsewhere. Top US schools have endowments in the billions of dollars (Harvard and Yale have tens of billions).

That's why you can learn Swedish at so many schools over here! They have the money for a token Swedish instructor! Hell, they teach Old Norse at my old school, and taught Sumerian at the place I went for college!

How do you (we) know? ;)

Yeah, but they're still cutting a lot of budget and firing professors from lots of areas.

Ahhh ok that's interesting to know. Können Sie bitte die anderen Farben und dessen Menschrelationen schreiben? Vielen dank!

Ich würde nicht "Menschrelation" sagen. Besser wäre "Kannst du mir bitte andere Farben/Farbwörter nennen, die Gefühle beschreiben?". Man siezt nicht im Internet, sondern sagt immer "Du"! ;)

Switching back to English for the manners ;)

Unfortunately there are no other colors that describe feelings/states of mind standing alone. But there are some sayings. For example "gelb vor Neid sein" (to be yellow of envy), "grün vor Eifersucht sein" (to be green of jealousy), "grün hinter den Ohren sein" ('to be green behind the ears' — to be green/naive), "rot werden" ('to become red' — to blush). There are several more for sure but I don't hit on it right now.

Ich würde nicht "Menschrelation" sagen. Besser wäre "Kannst du mir bitte andere Farben/Farbwörter nennen, die Gefühle beschreiben?". Man siezt nicht im Internet, sondern sagt immer "Du"! ;)

Switching back to English for the manners ;)

Unfortunately there are no other colors that describe feelings/states of mind standing alone. But there are some sayings. For example "gelb vor Neid sein" (to be green of envy), "grün vor Eifersucht sein" (to be green of jealousy), "grün hinter den Ohren sein" ('to be green behind the ears' — to be green/naive), "rot werden" ('to become red' — to blush). There are several more for sure but I don't hit on it right now.

Hahah toll vielen dank! Ich mag "grün hinter den Ohren sein", der ist lustig :lol: .

How do you (we) know? ;)

Yeah, but they're still cutting a lot of budget and firing professors from lots of areas.

Nah, they're not firing profs. That's the last thing they fire. The cost cuts have come in 1) infrastructure, 2) non-faculty staff, 3) program budgets (grad student stipends, grants, fellowships, etc). They're also reducing openings for tenure track positions. But that's been going on for a while because there's a lot of older professors who aren't retiring, and then a lot of universities that have so-so programs are pumping out Ph.D. students geared to compete for professorships - which they can't do. So there's a crush of people looking for jobs, but not enough jobs for them.

But even with the financial downturn, American universities are ok, because however bad it gets here, it's much worse abroad when the stock market tightens. So you can still take your Swedish classes here!

Nah, they're not firing profs. That's the last thing they fire. The cost cuts have come in 1) infrastructure, 2) non-faculty staff, 3) program budgets (grad student stipends, grants, fellowships, etc). They're also reducing openings for tenure track positions. But that's been going on for a while because there's a lot of older professors who aren't retiring, and then a lot of universities that have so-so programs are pumping out Ph.D. students geared to compete for professorships - which they can't do. So there's a crush of people looking for jobs, but not enough jobs for them.

But even with the financial downturn, American universities are ok, because however bad it gets here, it's much worse abroad when the stock market tightens. So you can still take your Swedish classes here!

Hey I just noticed the Canada in your location hehe :p . Well, my US friend/classmate from my M.A. said that they were firing lots of professors. I guess I could ask him at which university.

I'm in upstate New York, maybe 3 hours tops from the Canadian border! I'm closer to Toronto than New York City.

You can't really fire professors. Adjuncts / visiting profs work on contracts, and tenure track profs gets up until their tenure review. And good luck firing tenured professors. Now, if the DEPARTMENT that contracted them gets downsized... then they can be let go . When departments have their budgets cut, the last thing that goes are profs because that's legally the hardest thing to get rid of (and replacing them is hard, too, no matter how many Ph.D.s there are running around).

Of course, they let go of people here and there. The situation is weird in academia because the schools that got hit the hardest were, in fact, the richest ones because they were knee deep in the stock market. Harvard and Yale lost several billion (yes, billion) dollars. But keep it in perspective; they still have billions more. If you lose 30% of your endowment and you only have a couple of hundred million dollars, that means entire departments close. But if you lose that much and you still have 25 billion dollars, well, so much for all those new buildings you wanted across town. And it was only the biggest schools that lost those huge percentages in their endowment; the market made them huge in the last 30 years, and the market taketh what the market giveth in bust times.

I'm in upstate New York, maybe 3 hours tops from the Canadian border! I'm closer to Toronto than New York City.

You can't really fire professors. Adjuncts / visiting profs work on contracts, and tenure track profs gets up until their tenure review. And good luck firing tenured professors. Now, if the DEPARTMENT that contracted them gets downsized... then they can be let go . When departments have their budgets cut, the last thing that goes are profs because that's legally the hardest thing to get rid of (and replacing them is hard, too, no matter how many Ph.D.s there are running around).

Of course, they let go of people here and there. The situation is weird in academia because the schools that got hit the hardest were, in fact, the richest ones because they were knee deep in the stock market. Harvard and Yale lost several billion (yes, billion) dollars. But keep it in perspective; they still have billions more. If you lose 30% of your endowment and you only have a couple of hundred million dollars, that means entire departments close. But if you lose that much and you still have 25 billion dollars, well, so much for all those new buildings you wanted across town. And it was only the biggest schools that lost those huge percentages in their endowment; the market made them huge in the last 30 years, and the market taketh what the market giveth in bust times.

Ah OK that's nice, I prefer New York over Toronto though (and this comes from a Canadian). Ahhh I love New York, specially the Kinokuniya bookstore at Rockefeller (I wonder if it's still there).

Yes, what you just said is exactly what I meant :) . They've cut some budget here, mainly funding for research projects (at least in my department). I don't have tenure, but it's quite unlikely that they'd fire me, considering how little I earn and how many professors they need :p .

the spanish site says september 24-26 2009 but the english one still says somethin about oktober 2007 ;)

but it's too far away for me. too expensive to come over. but i'm sure it's interesting, especially when it comes to indigenious languages of the americas.

the spanish site says september 24-26 2009 but the english one still says somethin about oktober 2007 ;)

but it's too far away for me. too expensive to come over. but i'm sure it's interesting, especially when it comes to indigenious languages of the americas.

Yes I noticed that too, even the French is different! I wonder what the bloody heck happened! These things shouldn't happen!

Ah it's a pity :( . Well if you have any presentation you might want to submit I could present it for you :) . I guess I can send you the presentations when the congress has finished. I'll check my CD of the previous one, I'm sire there's stuff on American Indigenous Languages that you'll like :) .

Sorry to post this just inbetween your conversation guys, but anyhow it started here... my learning Swedish. It was mainly Vintersorg´s and Therion´s "fault" in the beginning.... and now I´ve reached the end: I just finished "svenska b" with the highest grade and can now move on to higher studies. :) Do I have to remark that I am glad? I don´t think so...

Sorry to post this just inbetween your conversation guys, but anyhow it started here... my learning Swedish. It was mainly Vintersorg´s and Therion´s "fault" in the beginning.... and now I´ve reached the end: I just finished "svenska b" with the highest grade and can now move on to higher studies. :) Do I have to remark that I am glad? I don´t think so...

How come? You should be proud :) ! What level do you have, A2, B1?

Snygg tröja :D
Fast man undrar lite om det är en sann historia? (är alltid lite skeptiskt när det gäller tidningar som Expressen). Jag vet ju inte hur det går till med de där fotona för skolkatalogen men skulle inte någon "ansvarig" (vem det än är i det där fallet) ha upptäckt det med "fel" tröjan lite tidigare?