Melodic death metal that doesn't suck - recommendations please

polarity

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2004
I know of Demigod, early At The Gates, Nocturnus, and Miasma. What are the other seminal bands/albums from this genre?

Is Intestine Baalism any good? Or are they just an obscure melodic death band? For fuck sakes, Worm, they dont have to be underground to be good.

I don't think there's anything spectacular about Intestine Baalism. Both their albums passed by my ear without catching my attention once.....and for a melodic death band, that's not a good sign.

Then again, as i've said before, i'm highly desensitized to melodic death, so it takes something outstanding to catch my attention.

Intestine Baalism are very good IMO. For melodic death also check out Eucharist, Ablaze My Sorrow, the first Amorphis CD, early Dark Tranquillity, Necrophobic, Arghoslent, Sacramentum, Lykathea Aflame.....

Life Sucks said:
Intestine Baalism are very good IMO. For melodic death also check out Eucharist, Ablaze My Sorrow, the first Amorphis CD, early Dark Tranquillity, Necrophobic, Arghoslent, Sacramentum, Lykathea Aflame.....
One mustn't mention Lykathe without also mentioning the even more satisfying Neuraxis. =)

I think the first IB album is very good.

Sacramentum- Far Away From the Sun(black metalish recording)

Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence

Golem- Eternity: The Weeping Horizons

The Chasm- Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

Serpens Aeon- Dawn of Kouatl

Cenotaph- Riding Our Black Oceans

Amorphis- The Karelian Isthmus

Creepmime- Shadows

Eucharist- A Velvet Creation

Fleshcrawl- Descend Into the Absurd

Arghoslent- Arsenal of Glory

Arghoslent- Incorrigible Bigotry

Afflicted- Prodigal Sun

Cadaver- In Pains

God Macabre- The Winterlong

Massacra- Final Holocaust

Hey Scythe, he specifically asked for bands that do not suck.

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess including "doesn't suck" was sort of pointless, seeing as the only people who would recommend those bands are the people who don't realize what I mean by it.

i think anasarca hasn't been mentioned yet. The black dahlia murder could have some melodic parts. Dissection, Blood stain Child ( if you want a japanese ripoff of COB ), Eternal Lies, Soul Edge, Soul demise, Arsis

I can't think of any more right now