Metal recommendations for someone who loves Classical music

Wow guys, thanks so much for all of the recommendations. I totally didn't expect this thread to get so much attention.
I realized last night that today was my last day of my physics class, so unfortunately I had to make the CD pretty quickly last night so I could get it to my professor. I'm not really all that satisfied with my results, but I guess that's what happens when you rush.

Regardless, I'm definitely going to be looking at these suggestions for myself and for a few other people-- I've had discussions with non-metalheads out there who seem to think that metal is senseless noise, so I'm going to have to get a couple more CDs out there so I can show some people the light. :D

I'll let you know when my prof responds, hopefully he'll have something good to say! I didn't want to scare him away from metal by starting off with really heavy stuff, so the CD has a lot of progressive, technical and neoclassical stuff on it, as well as a bit of power, black, and melodeath (my personal favorite genre).

If anyone else has anything to say about his musical beliefs, I'd love to hear it. I really like this topic. I'm considering emailing him a few posts from this thread (maybe).

Also if anyone has more to say about the intersection of classical and metal techniques, I'd be really curious to know.

Thanks again!

I realized last night that today was my last day of my physics class, so unfortunately I had to make the CD pretty quickly last night so I could get it to my professor. I'm not really all that satisfied with my results, but I guess that's what happens when you rush. !

nothin to stop you droppin' him another some time, he aint retirin' is he? :p

Hubster, the 20th century atonal composers (I mentioned some in my earlier post) surely used compositional styles unheard of in Bach's era?

Possible, but the concept of atonality itself is quite a debate. Another way of looking at it is "is atonality really for example, to scales, as scales were to modes?"

So is it really a new technique, or just more room to play with?

What album is that on?
It's on their second album "Steps" (released in 1990). Unfortunately, the vocalist on that album (the same as on their debut) probably wasn't the best one they've had in their career, but I like the music very much and also the original cover-artwork.

Possible, but the concept of atonality itself is quite a debate. Another way of looking at it is "is atonality really for example, to scales, as scales were to modes?"

So is it really a new technique, or just more room to play with?

it was a pretty unique technique at the time

It's on their second album "Steps" (released in 1990). Unfortunately, the vocalist on that album (the same as on their debut) probably wasn't the best one they've had in their career, but I like the music very much and also the original cover-artwork.

Cool, thanks. I own "Navigating By the Stars" and "Paramount" and love them both. Maybe I'll try the older records, but if they have a different singer I'm not sure that I'll dig it. Their current singer is awesome.

Maybe some mid-era Coroner? No More Color has a great deal of complexity and classical influence.

Hey guys, good news!
My teacher emailed me today saying that he really wants to talk to me soon about my "spectacular CD."
Woot! It seems that he liked it. Which is awesome because I can now make him a CD of more of the music you guys recommended so he can hear more metal than what I gave him (mostly neoclassical and progressive, as to not scare him away from the genre).

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestions, guys, they will be used on my next CD!

Dudes, I'm a lady.... bro :D

okay okay I will put up a tracklist... but keep in mind I kind of put some wussy music on there so I wouldn't scare my teacher.

The Gale- Insomnium (doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but I like it so much that I put it on all of my metal mixes).
Golden Dawn- Koyaanisqatsy
Memento Mori- Kamelot
Illusive Consensus- Epica
Erotomania- Dream Theater
Baroque & Roll- Yngwie Malmsteen (I'm pretty sure this is something he'd really enjoy)
Out of the Ashes- Symphony X
Mouth of Madness- Circus Maximus
Stormblast- Dimmu Borgir
Only Ash Remains- Necrophagist

Because I don't have a trained musical ear, it's kind of hard for me to pick out the types of songs that exemplify what I've read about the intersection of classical and metal styles, so most of the music I picked was mainly to show that metal artists can write music that is complex and melodic, with a lot of variation in techniques, singers, etc. (and a lot of it would sound really good if played by an orchestra). But I think your suggestions are a better choice for my next CD because a lot of them seem to fit the point I'm going for. This teacher is a pretty cool guy, so I'll definitely be making him another CD (with your suggestions!) and be talking with him more about music in the future.

Cool, thanks. I own "Navigating By the Stars" and "Paramount" and love them both. Maybe I'll try the older records, but if they have a different singer I'm not sure that I'll dig it. Their current singer is awesome.
I think the vocalists on their albums "A Sense Of Change" and "Sophisticated" are very good, as is the music. BTW, on one song of "A Sense Of Change", namely "Change Of Seasons", the vocalist is only accompanied by acoustic guitar and a string quartet. I'd say that out of the first five albums "Steps" is still my favourite album music-wise, but it might also be the least accessible. What I really like are the clearly audible and often also dominant bass-parts on that album.

As regards Mekong Delta, which I already mentioned before, I'd like to add that they've done "cover-versions" of several classical pieces, including "Pictures At An Exhibition" and "Night On A Bare Mountain" by Mussorgsky. I really like the "Allegro" of Shostakovich's Symphony no. 10 on their current album "Lurking Fear". Their instrumental piece "Interludium" on "The Music Of Erich Zann" also sounds like some classical piece to me, and there's also a "Suite For Group And Orchestra" on their album "Visions Fugitives".

Maybe some mid-era Coroner? No More Color has a great deal of complexity and classical influence.
I second this recommendation. I think "The Last Entertainment" might be a good example.

np: Kari Bremnes - "Skrik" (live)

nice pick with the Insomnium song too. One of their best, but not one I listen to much. real epic--perfect choice for the CD.

you might wanna check out a few songs from Saturnus: "I Long", "Inflame Thy Heart", and "Descending".

Dudes, I'm a lady.... bro :D

okay okay I will put up a tracklist... but keep in mind I kind of put some wussy music on there so I wouldn't scare my teacher.

The Gale- Insomnium (doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but I like it so much that I put it on all of my metal mixes).
Golden Dawn- Koyaanisqatsy
Memento Mori- Kamelot
Illusive Consensus- Epica
Erotomania- Dream Theater
Baroque & Roll- Yngwie Malmsteen (I'm pretty sure this is something he'd really enjoy)
Out of the Ashes- Symphony X
Mouth of Madness- Circus Maximus
Stormblast- Dimmu Borgir
Only Ash Remains- Necrophagist

Because I don't have a trained musical ear, it's kind of hard for me to pick out the types of songs that exemplify what I've read about the intersection of classical and metal styles, so most of the music I picked was mainly to show that metal artists can write music that is complex and melodic, with a lot of variation in techniques, singers, etc. (and a lot of it would sound really good if played by an orchestra). But I think your suggestions are a better choice for my next CD because a lot of them seem to fit the point I'm going for. This teacher is a pretty cool guy, so I'll definitely be making him another CD (with your suggestions!) and be talking with him more about music in the future.

I'd say you did a good job, considering what you were trying to show.

fuck, forgot about Kamelot. I love the song "On the Coldest Winter Night"

They're one of my favorite power metal bands. I didn't think to mention them either; definitely a good choice though. Memento Mori is a great song. Personally, I think all their albums from The Fourth Legacy on have been top-notch.