Metal recommendations for someone who loves Classical music

Dudes, I'm a lady.... bro :D

I don't know if you prefer female vocals, (you being a lady), I would recommend the band ANGTORIA w/ Sara Jezebel on vocals. I'm not a big fan of most female led metal bands, but ANGTORIA has a brilliant classical style / metal debut called 'God Has A Plan'.

Didn't read everything that was said, but I think Ynwie is a bad call because he isn't a musical progression - he just took classical music and adapted it to guitar.

Anyhow
Rhapsody - Emerald Sword
Death - Voice Of The Soul
In Flames - Stand Ablaze
Orphaned Land - Mabool(The Flood) or anything off that album tbh
Eluveitie - Of Fire, Wind, And Wisdom
Dark Tranquility - Punish My Heaven
Emperor - Into The Infinity Of Thoughts
Hammerfall - Hearts On Fire (Because who can not like this?)

yeah you can't respect a teacher who thinks that... and it sounds like any attempts to convince him otherwise will be futile.

You can start by mentioning Glass, Britten, Schoenberg, Penderecki, Rachmaninov, Gorecki, Ligeti, etc etc

But you could try something from the following bands:

Gorguts (Obscura)
Dream Theater
At the Gates (The Red in the Sky is Ours)
Deathspell Omega (Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice)
Necrophagist (The onset of Putrefaction)

ive never seen anyone be so right and so wrong in one post.

At the Gates -yes, yes, yes!
Necrophagist -no. god no!

mmm. depends really what the guy finds important

if he likes the classical period, these composers, it's not about a musicians ability to play scales at 240BPM that's going to be impressive, it's going to be an impressively crafted soundscape - the art behind the music, not the art of playing instruments. though obviously the creativity from most of this music [metal] is reliant on -how- one plays, it's not like a composer with his freedom to note anything he can imagine. so it's hard to predict what he might appreciate.

I read through this thread once, but I forgot if they were mentioned; if he thinks music hasn't evolved, he should listen to Gorguts.

The Gale- Insomnium (doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but I like it so much that I put it on all of my metal mixes).
Golden Dawn- Koyaanisqatsy
Memento Mori- Kamelot
Illusive Consensus- Epica
Erotomania- Dream Theater
Baroque & Roll- Yngwie Malmsteen (I'm pretty sure this is something he'd really enjoy)
Out of the Ashes- Symphony X
Mouth of Madness- Circus Maximus
Stormblast- Dimmu Borgir
Only Ash Remains- Necrophagist

classic dimmu, awesome

a classical music freak is not likely to enjoy any metal at all, most of those guys are total pansies. many of you aren't helping the cause by recommending all this awful shit though. i say give the guy "the oath of black blood" and when he says it's just noise tell him to go fuck himself

I read through this thread once, but I forgot if they were mentioned; if he thinks music hasn't evolved, he should listen to Gorguts.

Sorry Val, but (and saying without arrogance as much as I can) on the grand scheme of things, music hasn't evolved much in the modern age. In comparison from Early Music, through to Renaissance, through to Baroque, Classical and then up to the Romantic periods especially, the amount of growth is a blip on the radar. The single biggest thing is probably the introduction of amplified instruments, and that's pretty much the last major event really.

a classical music freak is not likely to enjoy any metal at all, most of those guys are total pansies. many of you aren't helping the cause by recommending all this awful shit though. i say give the guy "the oath of black blood" and when he says it's just noise tell him to go fuck himself

Now that's just way off the mark man... I know plenty of metalheads who will rate Mozart's Requiem further if not equal to the darkest works of Doom and Black Metal you can imagine. In it's own way, Western Art Music blows metal off the planet for extremity and musters far more power than Metal ever could.

Sorry Val, but (and saying without arrogance as much as I can) on the grand scheme of things, music hasn't evolved much in the modern age. In comparison from Early Music, through to Renaissance, through to Baroque, Classical and then up to the Romantic periods especially, the amount of growth is a blip on the radar. The single biggest thing is probably the introduction of amplified instruments, and that's pretty much the last major event really.

That's like saying cars haven't evolved since Henry Ford because they still run on petrol and have four wheels. Sure, the language of music and the basic concepts were established, and that hasn't changed much, but consider how narrow the sound was back then and compare it to all the variety of genres and styles now. Where was the rock beat? The blast beat? Jazz rhythms were unheard of. Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix were constructing songs in a way no-one had ever done before. etc etc I could go on. And back then, Stravinsky couldn't even get people to play 'The Rite of Spring' because it was too foreign to them. Even Mozart had problems with some of his more challenging (to listen to) works.

i'm a classical music freak yet i love metal.

and yeah i'd have to agree with the guy about oath of black blood if he said it was noise because that album sucks.

Please play him the following songs. They will probably be too rough for his wimp ears though.

Cenotaph - Infinitum Valet
Eucharist - Floating
Gorguts - Condemned to Obscurity
Gorguts - The Carnal State
Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thoughts
Behemoth - Chant of the Eastern Lands
Kvist - Vettenetter
Averse Sefira - Descension

Therion- Secret of the Runes, Gothic Kaballah
Virgin Black- Sombre Romantic, Elegant... and Dying
Nightwish- (check out the song "Ghost Love Score"); all their albums are very symphonic
Rhapsody- Legendary Tales, Symphony of Enchanted Lands
Turisas- The Varangian Way
Dimmu Borgir- Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Death Cult Armageddon
Moonsorrow- Kivenkantaja

What shitty recs. Are you trying to make this guy hate metal?

Nazgul and Veneficium would be pretty good bm recs

Also, Symphony X - The Odyssey (title track) would work