Metal recommendations for someone who loves Classical music

Honestly though, I would lay off the extreme vocals. To the untrained ear, most will instantly hate it. I did at first, then gradually learned to tolerate it, then like it, then love some of the tasteful ones. Still hate brutal and grind vox, but I digress.

Go with "lite" metal first, like Nightwish - Ghost Love Score. Now that's a pretty nice track. Maybe some Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, too.

That's like saying cars haven't evolved since Henry Ford because they still run on petrol and have four wheels. Sure, the language of music and the basic concepts were established, and that hasn't changed much, but consider how narrow the sound was back then and compare it to all the variety of genres and styles now. Where was the rock beat? The blast beat? Jazz rhythms were unheard of. Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix were constructing songs in a way no-one had ever done before. etc etc I could go on. And back then, Stravinsky couldn't even get people to play 'The Rite of Spring' because it was too foreign to them. Even Mozart had problems with some of his more challenging (to listen to) works.

I'm not saying as an absolute that it hasn't grown or evolved, yes, there are some MINOR things here and there, but in the overall scheme of things, taking into consideration how much evolved from AD 500 to around 1900, the growth since has been almost undetectable in comparison. Consider, Jazz and Hendrix, among many others, still use the foundations and techniques founded hundreds of years before. Without those core foundations, said examples wouldn't even exist.

Consider also, that music from a more theoretical level (I'm not claiming to be a theorist) and music from a technique level are two completely separate topics. Those two warrant separate arguments alone.

Please play him the following songs. They will probably be too rough for his wimp ears though.

Cenotaph - Infinitum Valet
Eucharist - Floating
Gorguts - Condemned to Obscurity
Gorguts - The Carnal State
Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thoughts
Behemoth - Chant of the Eastern Lands
Kvist - Vettenetter
Averse Sefira - Descension

Hah, worst recs ever!
He definitely wont come back after listening to those.
Band's like Cenotaph, Gorguts or Behemoth are definitely not easy to digest. I don't see anyone liking it on their first listen.(Unless they are already familiar with extreme metal)

I'm not saying as an absolute that it hasn't grown or evolved, yes, there are some MINOR things here and there, but in the overall scheme of things, taking into consideration how much evolved from AD 500 to around 1900, the growth since has been almost undetectable in comparison. Consider, Jazz and Hendrix, among many others, still use the foundations and techniques founded hundreds of years before. Without those core foundations, said examples wouldn't even exist.

Consider also, that music from a more theoretical level (I'm not claiming to be a theorist) and music from a technique level are two completely separate topics. Those two warrant separate arguments alone.

I don't agree with any of this. First, I was talking about theory and composition rather than technique. Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane etc were not writing music that shared any real connection with classical music and older 'foundations'. If these similarities exist, please point them out. And saying "without these core foundations, said examples wouldn't even exist" - yeah right. To stay with the example of the jazz innovators, (and this is a big generalisation) but most of them grew up in poor areas with little exposure to music, least of all a musical education.

Hah, worst recs ever!
He definitely wont come back after listening to those.
Band's like Cenotaph, Gorguts or Behemoth are definitely not easy to digest. I don't see anyone liking it on their first listen.(Unless they are already familiar with extreme metal)

I'm suggesting good music, not music that will be easy to digest. If this guy is so fucking smart about music then he will at least be able to appreciate some of the musicianship and compositional quality in my suggestions, and he should already know that much worthwhile music isn't immediately accessible. If not, he's a fucking moron.

I'm suggesting good music, not music that will be easy to digest. If this guy is so fucking smart about music then he will at least be able to appreciate some of the musicianship and compositional quality in my suggestions, and he should already know that much worthwhile music isn't immediately accessible. If not, he's a fucking moron.

agreed.

Wasn't there a Stravinsky symphony which was so undigestable that a riot broke out?

some people need accessibility, other's don't.

adding to the list:
Vehemence, "I Didn't Kill Her"

Even the most open-minded musical aficionado will have trouble appreciating the intricate musicianship beneath all the screeching, barking and phlegm-gurgling.

Well, I'd say

Symphony X - Accolade II
Doomsword - Death of ferdia
Arcturus - Nightmare Heaven
Liquid Tension Experiment - Biaxident
Pelican - Forecast for today(lets not forget post metal)
Exumer - Destructive Solution
Tyr - The wild rover(just for some diversity)
Windir - Arntor, ein Windir
InFlames - Trigger
Opeth - Deliverance(The last three are just to give a taste of harsh vocals without going overboard)

All are easy going and melodic imo.

Even the most open-minded musical aficionado will have trouble appreciating the intricate musicianship beneath all the screeching, barking and phlegm-gurgling.

To be fair, in most metal the non-vocal instrumentation is the highlight of the sonic spectrum.

And The Oath Of Black Blood is fucking badass...pussies.

Well, it's listenable. Like Krieg. Noisy bedroom black metal, man. Yahoo!
Drawing Down the Moon is much better anyway. Not that I listen to either often nowadays. Still, Salomon's Gate, The Gate of Nanna, Sadomatic Rites-- that's pure freaking evil awesomeness!

To be fair, in most metal the non-vocal instrumentation is the highlight of the sonic spectrum.

And The Oath Of Black Blood is fucking badass...pussies.

jesus... its not badass... its one of the sloppiest excuses for an album i've ever heard

That's what constitutes "badass" for some people--inacessibility Noisy, dirty as a crack whore black metal blasphemy.
You know, like there are people, who find Slayer very inaccessible; they complain about Tom Araya's barking and the band's dissonant guitar playing.
So what do you say to them?
"Go back to your precious Britney Spears, assholes. Putting down Slayer like that.Bah."

See, everything is relative.

Should those kind of recommendations be made though to someone who is trying to branch away from strictly classical music? Given the aesthetics of classical music, I'm not sure a classical fan would immediately be able to appreciate music of such an extreme nature.

I know nuncheon was asking for metal, but what about other progressive bands? Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson... does he appreciate music like that?

I find hubster's point very interesting, but I disagree. Essentially the premise is that since all of the techniques had already been developed by the baroque period, the only thing that has changed is the application of the technique. Yes, we still use the same notes, scales and chords are the same, ect. However, I have 2 points, 1. some developments have occured, and 2. the change in application in technique has been dramatic enough to constitute an evolution of music. Since Bach, the idea of scales and chords have changed. Baroque music used mostly triads, the 1-3-5 chord, and occasionally it would branch out a bit, but now we have dissonant chords. Of course, they did have the potential to make dissonant chords, but the point is, they didn't. Modern classical music has all sorts of absurd chords like the petrushka chord, where two triads are seperated by a tritone, or tone clusters. There are synthetic scales, there is the octatonic scale, ect. And rhythm has evolved tremendously. For example, the polymeter, where two different time signatures (like 4/4 and 5/4) are played at the same time, thus causing the beat to go in and out of sync with each other. Then, of course, there is the concept of distortion, which was non-existent in bach music. As for my second point, I believe it speaks for itself.

check out kayo dot....definetly what u are looking for.. long unconventional song structures and heavy metal parts mixed with classic instrumentation. it has stuff like the cello some kind of horn and other sweet instruments in it.