metalcore/scene kids into prog/power metal !!!???

JosephAcevedo

Jul 31, 2005
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
I don't know if anybody is starting to notice this more and more yet.

Here in Las Vegas I now see scene/metalcore kids listening to power metal. Idk if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I think it tends to be more of a bad thing though...

I see metalcore people who's favorite bands are Trivium, Devildriver, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, Bleeding Through, Black Dahlia Murder, Himsa, Bullet for my valentine, God Forbid, Darkest Hour, ect... are now listening to Dragonforce, 3 Inches of Blood, Dream Evil, Nightwish, Nevermore, Evergrey, Into Eternity, ect... Plus with it's also no surprise these kids are into In Flames, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Children of Bodom, ect..

I just surely hope the prog/power scene in the future will NOT be flooded with metalcore scene kids.

I now see bands on myspace who include in their influences for their bands.... Dragonforce, Trvium, In Flames, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, Children of Bodom, Shadows Fall, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, 3 Inches of Blood, Himsa, All that remains, Dream Evil,ect...

All I can say is "What the fuck?" Is prog/power actually making it's way into the mainstream media? I mean like whats up with these emo looking scene kids now running around screaming "Dragonforce!" and such?

I'm NOT saying that those people do not have a right to listen to power/prog metal . It's just i hope it won't be something to turn out for the worse.

I think anyone who uses the term "MetalCore" should be shot.

I fucking hate that term. If you have to declare that you/ your music is "hardcore" or any form of it, it's most likely not.

/rant.

-Metal

What I do find funny is bands that play "metalcore" hate being labeled that and get defensive. Fuck if your gonna play that kind of music at least be proud of it.

I'm not in a band anymore, but regardless: I think that term is fucking stupid. It went from "That show was Hardcore!" to "We're a hardcore band". Ick. I don't get defensive because of the label perse, but because of it's misuse and having bands take it on as a genre when it was used to describe a "feeling" not a sound.

If a show was Brutal are bands going to take that on too? As in "We're a MetUL band"? I sure hope not.

Alright I won't bother this thread anymore. :)

-MetalRose

Metalcore is just a hybrid genre:

Some genre of metal (usually death or thrash) plus hardcore punk; usually with more punk influence than need be to still identify said style as metal.

Still, there are some -core bands out there that are pretty metal (Mastodon, The Red Chord, Between the Buried and Me, and Into Eternity all come to mind).

Metalcore is just a hybrid genre:

Some genre of metal (usually death or thrash) plus hardcore punk; usually with more punk influence than need be to still identify said style as metal.

Still, there are some -core bands out there that are pretty metal (Mastodon, The Red Chord, Between the Buried and Me, and Into Eternity all come to mind).

What is "core" about into eternity?

Although I totally understand MetalRose's feelings, the back-formation isn't correct. "Hardcore" as a style of music did exist throughout the 80s and early 90s, and still does, although its become more and more obscure. Metalcore ostensibly means metal music mixed with hardcore's typical lyrical subjects (generally: left-wing politics, self-empowerment, straightedge, and/or veganism), but what is metalcore today doesn't fit that description anymore.

My thoughts: As an ex-hardcore kid (mainly high school years and early college years) I was a little dismayed to find hardcore influences "following me" when I started listening to metal "full-time" (I mean, it became the majority of my listening). Metalcore has become not just a stigmatized term but inaccurate as well as bands like Bleeding Through have all but lost any and all hardcore aesthetic they might have had years ago when the mixture in metalcore was clear and obvious just from listening to this type of band. It *is* (was) a distinct style and sound but has in recent years evolved into just metal with a new fashion attached to it. Palabra has the basic description right: hardcore bands looking for new influences picked up on death metal in the early and mid 90s. Although bands like Agnostic Front had hinted at this simply by being very heavy in the early 80s, it wasn't until Earth Crisis (who knew what they were doing when they adopted Carcass and Obituary influences into hardcore roots) in the early 90s that "metalcore" as its own genre was distinctive enough to warrant labelling. What was vital then, however, has worn out to the point where it's lost its spirit and is just metal-riffs + breakdown; in other words, the hardcore is gone. However, as JosephAvecado says, there has been increasing numbers of metalcore kids into traditional metal. No problems really from me; there was bound to be mixing sooner or later and it's not so bad anyway. I don't really mind. It's also been going on for a long time really, it's only in the post-millennium years that "metalcore" has exploded in popularity to the point where its noticeable in the mainstream at large. I still don't like the bands though. A funny thing about me that isn't very logical is that I'm a musical separatist. When I was into hardcore, i hated metal and was offended by the increasing use of metal-style riffs in bands who in my opinion should have stayed purely hardcore. As a metal fan, I'd rather hardcore influences stayed out of metal too. I still like both styles, but enjoy them most when they aren't mixing.

Who cares what they are lisetening to? They'll move on once Hot Topic stops carrying the shirts. And the ones that don't, should be as welcome as anybody.

And what do you have against metalcore anyhow? Its such a slur word now. But the punk-metal blend has been around since the beginning of metal. And most metalcore bands these days are not talentless 3-chord hacks.

well, i have to be inclined to partially agree with metalrose about it. though, it does prove to be a usefull way to describe what those using it are often trying to discribe.

though, it does get fuckin annoying. even though i don't listen to any bands that, to my knowledge, people call metalcore, i still get called it. im not sure if its because im young and people don't believe i can be serious or musically intelligent, because they are just fuckin idiots, or because they see me as a kid in black who goes through hot topic. which, i dont give a fuck, because they do carry some shirts i want and its much easier than online. usually maiden,pantera,slayer,dragonforce,megadeth,priest. ive bought all in there, so the fuck what? do they mean to tell me its only metal to buy t-shirts from the artists or online? what the fuck? eitherway, i definatly understand what metalrose is saying.

i don't use the term seriously, but if im trying to describe a perticular scene/event/person to someone, i may use that because, like i said, its easy way to make it easily visualized.

Although I totally understand MetalRose's feelings, the back-formation isn't correct. "Hardcore" as a style of music did exist throughout the 80s and early 90s, and still does, although its become more and more obscure. Metalcore ostensibly means metal music mixed with hardcore's typical lyrical subjects (generally: left-wing politics, self-empowerment, straightedge, and/or veganism), but what is metalcore today doesn't fit that description anymore.

My thoughts: As an ex-hardcore kid (mainly high school years and early college years) I was a little dismayed to find hardcore influences "following me" when I started listening to metal "full-time" (I mean, it became the majority of my listening). Metalcore has become not just a stigmatized term but inaccurate as well as bands like Bleeding Through have all but lost any and all hardcore aesthetic they might have had years ago when the mixture in metalcore was clear and obvious just from listening to this type of band. It *is* (was) a distinct style and sound but has in recent years evolved into just metal with a new fashion attached to it. Palabra has the basic description right: hardcore bands looking for new influences picked up on death metal in the early and mid 90s. Although bands like Agnostic Front had hinted at this simply by being very heavy in the early 80s, it wasn't until Earth Crisis (who knew what they were doing when they adopted Carcass and Obituary influences into hardcore roots) in the early 90s that "metalcore" as its own genre was distinctive enough to warrant labelling. What was vital then, however, has worn out to the point where it's lost its spirit and is just metal-riffs + breakdown; in other words, the hardcore is gone. However, as JosephAvecado says, there has been increasing numbers of metalcore kids into traditional metal. No problems really from me; there was bound to be mixing sooner or later and it's not so bad anyway. I don't really mind. It's also been going on for a long time really, it's only in the post-millennium years that "metalcore" has exploded in popularity to the point where its noticeable in the mainstream at large. I still don't like the bands though. A funny thing about me that isn't very logical is that I'm a musical separatist. When I was into hardcore, i hated metal and was offended by the increasing use of metal-style riffs in bands who in my opinion should have stayed purely hardcore. As a metal fan, I'd rather hardcore influences stayed out of metal too. I still like both styles, but enjoy them most when they aren't mixing.

That's a pretty good synopsis. I'd add though that "Hardcore" is an abbreviated name of Hardcore Punk. Not surprising that you'd hate metal when you were into Hardcore. The two forms, and the mentality of each, are almost opposite. Punk values simplicity and Metal strives for complexity. Punk and Metal have always been somewhat adversarial as each tries to become the dominant form of Heavy Music.

Punk climbed to the top in the late 70's and very early 80's when bands like The Clash, The Kinks, Devo and other "New Wave" bands dominated the airways over the Zepplin era bands of the 70's. Devo even had a song on the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack.

We all know who ruled during the mid 80's to mid 90's until punk returned as "Alternative" and "Grunge." And the early version of "Metalcore" was called "Crossover," since it that's really exactly what it was/is. Hardcore crossed with elements of Metal.

Emo is "Emotional Hardcore" Punk. So declaring to be "Hardcore" is really no different than claiming to be Metal. It's just a genre of Punk.

And Into Eternity doesn't even belong in the Thread.

Alright I lied, I had to hop back on here for a moment.

Point taken, and my statement was a matter of opinion more or less. (That statment sounds a lot harsher than it is meant to be taken.)

I know there was a hardcore scene 15-20 years ago, that was "true" hardcore music though. Not what is being described as "hardcore" today. It's a totally different connotation now.

I still hate the term.

-MetalRose

Personally, I attend metal shows to see the band(s), not to check out the crowd and critique the attendees for being different than me. As long as a band continues to put out a high quality product, I will will continue to support them regardless of other demographics that may become interested.

I'm not positive, but I think increasing interest in underground metal is a good thing...? So the mainstream kids find out there's more out there. Kudos to them. Just don't spin-kick me in the face at the next Blind Guardian show ;-).

I like more people getting into the bands I enjoy, better chance of them coming back and touring since most are foreign. What I do not like is most are moshers/hardcore dancers and im not all that big on moshing for power metal, doesn't make much sense to me..Metalcore I enjoy and can see it there or Death metal, but not Power.

As I've said on other threads, some of those new fans could very well be legit fans who are waking up to a world beyond the post-grunge that radio shoves down everyone's throats. People with a genuine interest - come on in! But in general I hate "scene kids," and hope the bandwagon-jumpers move on.

i dont really care but if i see any hardcore dancers at a prog show i think im going to puke.

im sorry but hardcore dancing is one of the most retarded things i have ever seen in my life, everyone who does it should be severely bitch slapped.

label me with your "closed minded" tags, but i dont give a shit, i firmly stand on the statements above and anyone with a brain will too.