metalcore/scene kids into prog/power metal !!!???

Hoyt: You're a good guy, but aside from NIN (and many would argue that point), none of those bands are gothic. The goth scene has never hit the mainstream here in the US.

I didn't mean to imply that any of those bands were 'gothic' aside from possibly NiN. I never got caught up in the goth scene so I don't know any other bands to name. I just remember a girl back in 1993 asking me if I had heard the new 'heavy metal' band called Nine Inch Nails. And I hadn't. So she proceeded to play their current (possibly debut) album at that time. I wrinkled my nose and said "uh, that ain't metal. I don't know what it is, but it ain't metal." I then proceeded to play Iced Earth's debut cd for her and proudly stated - "That's METAL!"

So forgive my choice of descriptions of genres earlier. I was at work and in a hurry when I wrote that. I was just churning out thoughts. And besides, all I know is True HEAVY METAL. I don't know what the gothic or any of the 'core' scenes offered the general public because none of that music ever appealed to me.

...and in general, the kids who I am meeting who come out to the shows that Patrick's band plays are all fairly cool. I haven't noticed anyone in particular being a 'jerk'. I agree that there's always a few idiots in every crowd. Hell, last ProgPower I had a drunken guy almost hit me in the face a few times when EPICA broke into Crystal Mountain. He was all but moshing in the middle of the floor. And he was probably about 30 years of age. :Smug:

Gamma Ray, Nightwish, and Sonata Arctica took little to nothing from the hair bands in the 80s. Don't forget that power metal was around during that time already with Helloween, Blind Guardian, Sanctuary etc. Hair bands were just boy bands with guitar solos, whereas the power/prog of today demands long songs, epic melodies with lyrical themes that actually required thought to write, classical influence, and many other things that would never be associated with hair bands. If you liked that crap in the 80s, that's fine, but don't dare associate prog/power with it.

Tarot was never considered a hair metal band... maybe to the same retarded uninformed Americans who think that .. I dunno.. Nightwish are glam.

You forget one thing: Someone had to lay the foundation for it. Remember, without the exposure from the Hair scene, who would have laid the foundation? It would not have been punk, for the music is completely different. And, did you ever see Tarot's earlier videos? Those guys were wearing a lot of that Aqua Net and white heels. Pretty good for a band "not" considered hair metal, lol.

But, even with that, Marco Hietala is still God in any era:worship: :worship: :worship:

I am almost completely for having these bands see wider exposure, more fans, and more money! The only hesitation I have derives from what the mainstream can do to the genre... for an interesting read, check out the history of emo music:
Emo & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That scares the crap out of me, personally.

I'm actually excited about "metalcore kids" listening to prog & power metal.

Yeah, emo started out as a hardcore subgenre, but it still survives today in its real form. The stuff that most people know as emo was only called emo because somebody didn't know the real meaning of the word. The mainstream hasn't killed "real" emo, it just calls something completely different by the same name. "Real" emo is still alive and well. There is no chance that the same thing could happen to metal.

Gamma Ray, Nightwish, and Sonata Arctica took little to nothing from the hair bands in the 80s. Don't forget that power metal was around during that time already with Helloween, Blind Guardian, Sanctuary etc. Hair bands were just boy bands with guitar solos, whereas the power/prog of today demands long songs, epic melodies with lyrical themes that actually required thought to write, classical influence, and many other things that would never be associated with hair bands. If you liked that crap in the 80s, that's fine, but don't dare associate prog/power with it.

Tarot was never considered a hair metal band... maybe to the same retarded uninformed Americans who think that .. I dunno.. Nightwish are glam.

Nightwish is glam? explain imo.

You forget one thing: Someone had to lay the foundation for it. Remember, without the exposure from the Hair scene, who would have laid the foundation? It would not have been punk, for the music is completely different. And, did you ever see Tarot's earlier videos? Those guys were wearing a lot of that Aqua Net and white heels. Pretty good for a band "not" considered hair metal, lol.

But, even with that, Marco Hietala is still God in any era:worship: :worship: :worship:

Not so. 80's Melodic or "Hair" Metal and Power Metal evolved simultaneously but separately. Power Metal did not evolve from Hair Metal.
Power Metal grew out of Traditional Heavy Metal with an emphasis on the use of Power Chords and Falsetto singing.
That which is commonly referred to as Hair, Glam, or 80's Metal was/is really suped-up Hard Rock. Actually much of it is Hard Rock, not really Metal at all, although the shared image got all the bands lumped together.

So forgive my choice of descriptions of genres earlier.

Nah man, it's cool, I just wanted to clear up the idea that goth drove metal underground in any way. I know many of the nationally touring U.S. goth bands on a first-name basis, and a good chunk of them have day jobs. ;) Goth has never become popular enough to do that kind of damage to any other subgenre.

Yeah, emo started out as a hardcore subgenre, but it still survives today in its real form. The stuff that most people know as emo was only called emo because somebody didn't know the real meaning of the word. The mainstream hasn't killed "real" emo, it just calls something completely different by the same name. "Real" emo is still alive and well. There is no chance that the same thing could happen to metal.

And a good analogy can made to goth! Same thing - there is a "real" goth scene that exists apart from the media outlets trying to convince people that bands as disparate as Evanescence and My Chemical Romance are embraced by the goth community.

One of these days, I'll write "The Beginners Guide to Goth." Eh, then I'll just get bored and never complete it.

Most 'goths' listen to industrial music, atleast to my experience.

Many do, I myself am a fan of Skinny Puppy (and NIN for that matter). But like with the metal community, there are many different subsets of goths as well as similar subcultures that sometime overlap. Rivetheads (the industrial fans) are closely related to goth but different in some ways as well. The "traditional" goth is more into things like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Fields of the Nephilim (probably goth rock's best "gateway drug" for fans of metal), and the like. More contemporary bands are The Last Dance, Ego Likeness, and Faith & the Muse...bands, I'd like to add, whose merch don't quite make it to Hot Topic (except on the odd compilation album here and there) ;)

Industrial is a scene that I haven't looked into that much, but I like what I've heard. I do tend to like the bands that mix industrial with more rock styles (your godheads, Stabbing Westwards, and the like), but outside of Skinny Puppy and a little FLA, I haven't delved to deeply into true industrial. But I've always been fascinated by the idea of constructing music out of harsh sounds.

Some good bands I enjoy are;

Fear Factory
Psyclon Nine
VNV Nation
Seraphim Shock
The Cruxshadows

A buddy of mine says a lot of good about Psyclon Nine. I've been a friendly acquaintance of Rogue from Cruxshadows for a couple of years now.

A buddy of mine says a lot of good about Psyclon Nine. I've been a friendly acquaintance of Rogue from Cruxshadows for a couple of years now.

That's pretty sweet. Psy9 is pretty good, vocals take a bit to get into, atleast for me but they are alright.

Some good bands I enjoy are;

Fear Factory
Psyclon Nine
VNV Nation
Seraphim Shock
The Cruxshadows

Interesting mix! I've known Rogue from Cruxshadows for many years and have helped build their career in some small ways....others differ and say it's been more than small. They've kindly thanked me in a few CDs and in the DVD. Regardless, they're great people and quite good live.....they even outdrew Therion at a fest in Europe. :eek:

That which is commonly referred to as Hair, Glam, or 80's Metal was/is really suped-up Hard Rock. Actually much of it is Hard Rock, not really Metal at all, although the shared image got all the bands lumped together.

Yeah, exactly. The hair/glam/commercial '80's metal drew its lineage more from Aerosmith than Judas Priest.

So what? Have you seen Queensryche during the Rage For Order days? You're a tool for judging a band for what they wear.

Yes, someone had to lay the foundation for Prog/Power, and those bands were Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Judas Priest, and instrumental artists such as Jason Becker, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen etc. Not hair bands.

i dont really care but if i see any hardcore dancers at a prog show i think im going to puke.

im sorry but hardcore dancing is one of the most retarded things i have ever seen in my life, everyone who does it should be severely bitch slapped.

I would love to see you try!!!

label me with your "closed minded" tags, but i dont give a shit, i firmly stand on the statements above and anyone with a brain will too.

As for everyone bitching about different types of metal/hardcore. I think your all very ignorant. This is the reason that all metal never gets any respect in the world. It's because everyone needs to bash other genre's of metal/hardcore, if we all stood united it would be alot easier to get a positive feed on heavy music. It doesnt bother me to see someone being successful at a type of music that they are doing. 99.9% of the people that bash other types of music, have never been or ever will be in a band in there entire life...
This thread is just pathetic and makes me puke.