metalcore/scene kids into prog/power metal !!!???

if we all stood united it would be alot easier to get a positive feed on heavy music.

Truth be told, I agree with this statement 110%. That's why I try not to diss entire genres of music (then again, it might be because I like some of the bands written off as "metalcore"). I think that a lot of the prog and power metal fans are turned off by some of the aggressive fans of those genres more than anything. Like at the Sonata Arctica show in Atlanta, where a couple of people were doing that hardcore "skipping" to one of the opening bands and randomly hitting people in the audience who were not anywhere near a pit. That's just rude and obnoxious. Right or wrong, that type of fan has become equated with a certain musical style.

I'm not positive, but I think increasing interest in underground metal is a good thing...? So the mainstream kids find out there's more out there. Kudos to them. Just don't spin-kick me in the face at the next Blind Guardian show ;-).
Well if it is to a smaller extent, then it would be/is great for the bands & record labels, as they will get increased revenue. More exposure - i.e. MTV2/Headbanger's Ball playing their videos, more than once in a blue moon. That will mean/has meant more extensive tours. That will be good for us. The bad side would be and is, making it more difficult for Glenn to book bands at the prices that the festival, at it's size and quality, can afford. More moshing asshole kids. Some bands feeling pressured to go more mainstream to sell more units (as good as MMA was, I think EG de-progged to advance their career). Some good, some bad, but at least for some fans, they will have had a new world opened up to them.

To a greater extent, we would see history repeat itself, as we have with any underground music gone mainstream. More bands selling out their integrity. Lots of clone bands. Heavy rotation of some videos/songs on the radio, to the point that people will get sick of some or a lot of it. I don't even want to think what this would do to the ProgPower festivals and other smaller festivals. The only good things would be that some people would make some good money for a short period of time and that it will go back underground again once the poseurs and trendy people move on.

Moshing is something I did when I was 16. Yes, it was fun but when you're 16 you think the world revolves around you, and therefore have little or no consideration for the others around you who are trying to enjoy they show.

Now that I'm older(26) I find moshers to be annoying and full of foolish excuses to justify their behavior. It's one thing to be physically involved with the music, its quite another to be out of control with virtually no regard for others around you.

hey man...im 16,and i go to shows to see how tight the music is live,how badass the guitar player is and to enjoy a good metal show! to be completly honest,ive never moshed,and dont plan on it.

My two cents...

Anyone can listen to this type of music. Whether they're emo, punk, core, it doesn't matter. Don't be a dick and let them listen to it. It's none of your business.

My two cents...

Anyone can listen to this type of music. Whether they're emo, punk, core, it doesn't matter. Don't be a dick and let them listen to it. It's none of your business.
I'd certainly hope that no one was saying that they shouldn't be allowed to listen to Power Metal or any other kind of genre/sub-genre. I didn't read every post in this thread but, I thought that we were talking about the positives and negatives of it becoming more popular. I certainly believe that everyone has the right to listen to whatever they'd like to.

As for everyone bitching about different types of metal/hardcore. I think your all very ignorant. This is the reason that all metal never gets any respect in the world. It's because everyone needs to bash other genre's of metal/hardcore, if we all stood united it would be alot easier to get a positive feed on heavy music. It doesnt bother me to see someone being successful at a type of music that they are doing. 99.9% of the people that bash other types of music, have never been or ever will be in a band in there entire life...
This thread is just pathetic and makes me puke.

While I only enjoy very few of the type of bands being talked about, I agree with this statement 100%. I want anyone and everyone possible to get into prog/power. Maybe with enough support, some of these bands would be able to go on full US tours and give us the opportunity to see them more often. I support all genres of metal and music, doesnt mean I enjoy them all, but almost everything has my respect.

Well if it is to a smaller extent, then it would be/is great for the bands & record labels, as they will get increased revenue. More exposure - i.e. MTV2/Headbanger's Ball playing their videos, more than once in a blue moon. That will mean/has meant more extensive tours. That will be good for us. The bad side would be and is, making it more difficult for Glenn to book bands at the prices that the festival, at it's size and quality, can afford.

But if a rising tide was lifting all the metal 'boats,' Glenn could possibly move PP to a larger venue. Larger venue = more tickets to sell = larger budget, and/or slightly lower-priced tickets.

But if a rising tide was lifting all the metal 'boats,' Glenn could possibly move PP to a larger venue. Larger venue = more tickets to sell = larger budget, and/or slightly lower-priced tickets.
That's definitely logical, but didn't Glenn say that he was against making PPUSA bigger? Hell! I'd love it if Glenn had the budget to book any band he'd/we'd want! i.e. Ayreon YAY! :headbang: But, an alternative to that, if it were possible and Glenn would want to, would be to have more PPUSAs in other parts of the country, but at approximately the same size & quality. But, I'd imagine that one PPUSA is enough of a headache! :lol: Now that I remember, didn't he say, on the DVD, that he would do also tours, if he had the opportunity? I'd be all for that!

The thing that I thought could possibly, but not likely, happen and would be BAD is the possibility of a big touring Power Metal festival, that had a date on one of the same dates as PP and had a lot of the most popular bands in that genre. For die-hard PP attendees like us, it won't make a difference. We'll still go to PP. I believe the majority would still go. But, imagine you're someone who's never been to PP or only went once or twice, but aren't psyched about the lineup that particular year and you find out that this big power fest is going to be in or around your town/city and has more or the same number of bands that you want to see...what would you do? Hell I even think that some people who love PP, would still go to the hypothetical big ass power metal fest, if they had their favorite band playing. Or let's say there are other 10 other 1-3 day power or prog & power metal festivals that spring up around the country, how many people could afford (tickets, gas money/plane tickets, hotels, etc...) to 2, 3, 5, all of them? Those people eople would have to pick and choose. I wouldn't want any of this to happen!

Everyone has a right to listen to what they want. Metal is METAL and no matter what the break down of the genre is we all can say we like bands from every break down just some more than others. I think that is why metal is still around no matter how many different subgroups it is sectioned off to. All of us Old School Rockers/Metalheads liked or can reference liking groups from Black Sabbath to Journey. The youngsters are just starting out and trying to get something to call their own. The idea of rock or Metal was and will always be us against the rest of the music world. Check out METAL: A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY.

There are no disappointments in Metal...well maybe one and I think we all know the band I am thinking about.

if they like it they like it. great to see real metal getting more recognition.

it's the scene punks (from ANY genre) who are just into it to be into it, that piss me off.

Everyone has a right to listen to what they want. Metal is METAL and no matter what the break down of the genre is we all can say we like bands from every break down just some more than others. I think that is why metal is still around no matter how many different subgroups it is sectioned off to. All of us Old School Rockers/Metalheads liked or can reference liking groups from Black Sabbath to Journey. The youngsters are just starting out and trying to get something to call their own. The idea of rock or Metal was and will always be us against the rest of the music world. Check out METAL: A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY.

There are no disappointments in Metal...well maybe one and I think we all know the band I am thinking about.

AMEN:worship:

As for everyone bitching about different types of metal/hardcore. I think your all very ignorant. This is the reason that all metal never gets any respect in the world. It's because everyone needs to bash other genre's of metal/hardcore, if we all stood united it would be alot easier to get a positive feed on heavy music. It doesnt bother me to see someone being successful at a type of music that they are doing. 99.9% of the people that bash other types of music, have never been or ever will be in a band in there entire life...
This thread is just pathetic and makes me puke.

i agree, and some of these words were those which i was searching for. ive been at concerts with many different "crowds", i don't have a problem with them. i really don't care, some stuff isn't my thing- i'll let them enjoy it if it is theirs, who am i to try and intercept their feelings, ideas, or opinions with my own relentless bashing?

they show me the same repsect this way, and it's great. like you said- if they are succesful doing it, if they love it, that's fine...there is no reason for me to meddle with it.

on the same idea though, i will glady entertain a discussion about it, but i would never call another type of metal, or music as a whole gay, lame, "poserish", pointless, skill-less, whatever. no because that's what they love, that's what they're good at, and that's not what i am involved with.
of course i tend to get a little upset when music, bands, or myself am labeled as such things and treated like asscrack, but i am not to get angry at those putting that name out their. sure i'd appreciate if the stereotypes ceased, but it's not those being stereotyped, (aka the metalcore/mallcore kids who shop at hot topic- or anything like that), but it's those doing the stereotyping. it's those who could listen to themselves in converstion labeling people with such names. it is also them who can't accept a type of metal and are giving them a bad name...but i rarely meet someone judged this way who, while speaking of the topic, will stereotype or bash us, but it is us who i find doing it.

(i know at least half of that is opinion based, but thats what i feel is most accurate...so please refrain from picking quotes out to tell me how i'm wrong...)

i would personally like it if all that just stopped. why do it? i still haven't seen any outcome other than it being completely embarassing and degrading to ourselves and our music.