Mikael the comedian

In this year's Summerbreeze, Michael admits that he likes Manowar, then asks the crowd "do you still like Manowar over here in Germany?", crowd shouts "YEAH…", he continues with "Kill with power", and all of us naturally replies "die, die…" :tickled:

crowd: opeth rulez!! (in growl)
mike: thats right! (in develish growl!)
--------------------------------
crowd: mike your the best! and peter.. you not far behind man!
---------------------------------

crowd: bbbababbaa growlllllbaaaagrowwlll
mike: ooooooooooooooooooo(growl)
crowd: ooooooooooo
mike: aaaaaaaa ratatatatata(funny scream)...its not a little unmature what were doing?

(yes i know my english sucks)

In malmö 2005...Mike says: Let me hear you growl...then a girl screams out of the top of her lungs...the Mike says: Not like Dani Filth...I just thought that was funny.

Also when he came up on stage he said...Tonight we are going to have some deathmetal...and maybe some striptease....

Mike is a really funny guy...And I understood most of the things he said in Swedish.

to be honest - when i first read your statements about mikael beeing a comedian on stage i was quite confused.

but when i listened to opeth in munich in december i experienced a mikael talking about (ironically) and praising david hasselhoff, doing quiz games about the scorpions and...well...beeing the perfect antithetic entertainer you could imagine!

At the concert at the Hollywood House of Blues.

Mike-We arent a cover band (Then he started playing sweet home alabama lol)

Then sometime in the concert i cant remeber he was all

Mike-Ok, we are going to take song requests, you have 2 seconds go. 1 2. (he said it pretty fast so the crowd took a second longer to reply lol.) then the crowd started shouting out songs
Mike-You had your chance.

And of course Mike made the joke of Deliverance. He said something like
Mike-I wrote this song after i dreamed of having sex with Burt Reynolds (or something like that i cant remember)

Mike is one of the greatest musicians and frontmans \m/

At Wacken when he played with Bloodbath, he told the audience to scream/growl after him.

Mike: Deathmetal voice!
Audience: *Growling*

Mike: High pitched!
Audience: *Screaming/Shrieking*

Mike: Dani Filth!
Audience: Sounding... well, horrible :p

And then there was this thing, they were wearing these t-shirts that were all soaked in blood, to which he gave this comment.
"We forgot to do our laundry"

A few Mikael snippets I remember from Fillmore/pound concerts:
*someone tosses a green stick-thing onstage*
"Oh hey, its GUMBY" *in a really dopey voice*

"And this is a song that we wrote while praying to our dark lord satan"
*they were playing Demon of the fall next*

*someone screams "PLAY BLOODBATH"*
"Now thats a story for another time"

*Some person screams for Opeth*
"That was a female, correct?"
*chick screams "fuck yeeeargh!*
"Great death metal vocals...you sound like..hrrrm? Dani Filth?"
*everybody boos*

I remember at the Oslo gig 21th september that people were abit noisy before "Face Of Melinda" and a guy in the audience screamed "Hold Kjeft" - ("Shut up" in Norwegian) and Åkerfeldt said "You tell'em!" while he blinked his eye and pointing his finger. After "In my time of need" Åkerfeldt screamed "we're gonna continue this gig by playing the entire catalogue of T.N.T!" He joked about ABBA, The Norwegian artist Jan Teigen, and various Sweden/Norway issues; example "We all know that the most beautiful country in Scandinavia is......Sweden!!!" Everybody was expecting him to say Norway. Funny man, yes...

Mr. Bland said:
At the concert at the Hollywood House of Blues.

Mike-We arent a cover band (Then he started playing sweet home alabama lol)

Then sometime in the concert i cant remeber he was all

Mike-Ok, we are going to take song requests, you have 2 seconds go. 1 2. (he said it pretty fast so the crowd took a second longer to reply lol.) then the crowd started shouting out songs
Mike-You had your chance.

And of course Mike made the joke of Deliverance. He said something like
Mike-I wrote this song after i dreamed of having sex with Burt Reynolds (or something like that i cant remember)

Mike is one of the greatest musicians and frontmans \m/

He also had us grunting:

Mikael: Ooo
Crowd: Ooo
Mikael: Ooah
Crowd: Ooah
Mikael: Ahhhhhoo
Crowd: Ahhhhhoo
Mikael: You just said "hello" in Swedish.

He also introduced himself as "cock." When introducing the drummer (who sadly was Martin Lopez) he said, "This is Martin Axenrot. Fortunately, his name's easy to remember." or somethign like that.

At the Buffalo show, before Demon of the Fall, Mike was quizzing the audience...one of the questions was "What is the name of the classic lead singer of Black Sabbath?" Of course, most of the crowd shouted "Ozzy Osbourne!" Followed by a smaller group shouting "Ronnine James Dio!" Mike replied with "Tony Martin."

Mikael seemed quite nervy and wasn't really cracking jokes on the Lamentations DVD, so is this something that has developed since then, or was he just restraining himself for the DVD show because he knew the cameras were on him?

I think it might have been both. Compared with some bootlegs I have from the Lamentations/D&D tour, and the BWP tour, he's really come to life this tour.

I have a bootleg from a few weeks ago and before they close with Deliverance, Mike gives the crowd a quiz on Led Zeppelin.

Mike: "Last question: Do you know about the hotel incident, where the drummer Jon Bonham was fishing out of a window, and this is, no offense to anyone, Jon Bonham was fishing, got a fish from the see, had a lady with him, inserted this fish into this woman's vagina. Now, what type of fish was it?"

Crowd: *random answers*

Mike: "That's incorrect. The rumours said it was a shark, when, in reality, it was a red snapper. So, you only got two out of three, and now there will be a dancing contest between myself, and Mr. Martin Mendez....unless, you prefer a song. Okay, I will be very kind to you and give you the song even though you only got two correct answers. But we're glad that your knowledge about Led Zeppelin was good. The shark think, I would have said shark if I wasn't the oracle of heavy metal, but I know, red snapper. I also know the title of this last song. Do you know the title?"

Crowd: "Demon of the Fall!"

Mike: "That is incorrect! This song is called, Deliverance, thank you very much."

From the gig at Nosturi in Helsinki, Finland 25th of September 2005:

Mikael: "We're gonna play something soft now..."
Crowd: "PARANOID!!"
Mikael: "We played it last night sweetheart, and we also did *sighs* Smoke On The Water...."

Crowd: "GHOST OF PERDITION!!"
Mikael: "Can't play it............with..... this.... guitar."

Mikael: "During the next song, I'll ask you all to climb on stage. You will receive a free PRS guitar and you can have sex with our bassist Martin Mendez."

Towedwart said:
He also had us grunting:

Mikael: Ooo
Crowd: Ooo
Mikael: Ooah
Crowd: Ooah
Mikael: Ahhhhhoo
Crowd: Ahhhhhoo
Mikael: You just said "hello" in Swedish.

He also introduced himself as "cock." When introducing the drummer (who sadly was Martin Lopez) he said, "This is Martin Axenrot. Fortunately, his name's easy to remember." or somethign like that.

OH, i remember that. The grunting was fun! He said bout Martin Axenrot that "Fortunatly, he is also a Martin, which makes things a whole lot easier."

In toronto Mike was giving death vocal lessons. he then asked all the ladies to do it, which he said was making him horny
fucking hilarious when he said it

At the Toronto show in October, some chick was crowd surfing and after TBOTH, Mike took the mic and said...
"So the shows sold out tonight I heard.... (crowd goes insane)...
You guys are great...........(more applaus)
especially that chick, shes fucking awesome.... and I got to see her snatch!"

KFK

Kerry King said:
I dont think Peter has a single funny bone in his body. I love Peter but he just doesnt seem to impressed with mike's sense of humor from what I've noticed...

Peter Lindgren \m/

KFK

I saw him smile a few times when Mike was joking around.

Back at the Montreal show in October, someone threw a baseball cap on stage and Mikal picked it up and put it on. Peter seemed quite amused by it. I even have a picture of that somewhere. Then he takes it of and says "My head is not shaped for these kinds of hats and threw it back.