Miscellaneous beer thread

Any of you guys had hahn superdry? I like it, and it doesnt make me as fat as other beers :kickass:

I think that's the one I had for $7.80 a fucking pint at a place in South Yarra. Was ok from memory, as beers like that go.

Does anyone know how top-fermenting and bottom-fermenting yeast work? Top makes ale and bottom makes lager, but I don't know the mechanics of it all. What makes one ferment at the top and the other at the bottom? I should have done science at school.

Ok nobody knows then. That's ok, because nor do I!

Had a Leffe (from Belgium) and a Cascade stout tonight. Both were very nice. What do they do to beer in Belgium that makes it taste so awesome?

I remember reading of it when I started home brewing.

Top fermenting ferments at the top. Bottom, at the bottom.

One was supposed to achieve something, and the other was supposed to achieve something different.

My beer tasted like shit either way.

I liked the pilsiner story, where the wort had to be heated with red hot rocks dunked into the wort. The hot rocks caramelised the suagars in the wort, creating a pilsiner.

Never got around to that, as my beer tasted like shit.

Thanks, phlogmeister. That makes sense.

What do you reckon went wrong with your beers, Shannow? Did you just use what was in the tin (plus sugar), or did you add extra stuff?

I'm drinking a Boag's Wizard Smith's Ale now, which is meant to be a "traditional English ale", or so it says on the label. Not bad actually. If it was cheaper I'd probably drink a lot more of it.

Ooh port. I've got some port that a winemaker gave me when I was 2 or something, but haven't had it yet because I want to know enough about port to appreciate it first.

hmm, it sounds like it could be alright. Can't see myself ever trying it as I never buy either of those.

Always on tap. Even at home if I buy a bottle I pour it into a glass. Tap/draught beer is miles better than straight from the bottle!

Just bought a six pack of Carbine Stout (basically XXXX Stout for those that don't know) And 3 XXXX heavy tallies, I like beer ALOT, but it seems lately that no matter how much I drink, I just ain't getting much out of it, and I don't wanna fall back into alcoholic problems of my past....sadly I might have to give up the drink for a while to avoid it now, before becoming a full blown boozeo again :(

I need your support people