Miscellaneous beer thread

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Not sure I could go without beer for a month, but it must be possible. Go for it, Southy! You'll probably appreciate it more when you take it up again in October.

I bought a slab of James Squire Golden Ale today. $45 at Liquorland - not bad really. I've decided that buying 6 packs is a lot more economical than buying single beers, and buying slabs is also a lot more economical than buying 6 packs. You don't get the variety, but if you buy good beer it doesn't matter so much.

Is there a better brewery in Australia than James Squire/Malt Shovel? It's not a rhetorical question - if there is one I'd be keen to try its wares!

Little Creatures go well, but they can't match the Squire for price. And Squire's have some nice variety too. Still love a good Boag's Premium, must get a slab of that when I finish semester.

Boag's Premium is good, but I reckon JS has a lot more flavour. Oh yeah, Little Creatures is great, but the price is the real hindrance. If it was cheaper I'd buy quite a lot of it.

Fave brewskies are Tooheys Extra Dry, Coopers Pale and I've taking a liking to Carlton Draught lately, despite peoples general dislike of them. And I generally like tap beer better than bottled. Something to do with evenness of texture, or maybe the pub atmosphere makes it taste better.

Picked up something pretty interesting last night.
Rogerstone "Plum Beer"
Can't imagine how plum and beer could be a good idea but it actually tastes pretty good. I'll be bringing a couple cases back to Sydney with me for sure.

Ok, beer.

Has anyone tried the Boag's version of Blonde. It's shithouse. Even the CUB one's better.

Hehe, they have wine as well called Go Fish that they make, of which they say "If you like talking about wine, sniffing it, gargling it or whatever it is that wine wankers like to do, then Go Fish is not for you."

Has anyone tried the Boag's version of Blonde. It's shithouse. Even the CUB one's better.
Indeed. Shit beer.

JS - Amber Ale and La Trappe - Witte Trappist have been recent favs, though I just cracked an Amstel which I am drinking now for the first time and it is rather awesome.

I have only really started drinking beer since I started working at my local 1st Choice Liquor last year. I have also found a taste for cider.

Good to hear you've joined our team! :)

La Trappe - I don't believe I've had that. Is it expensive?

I've been past Camperdown a number of times, but have never had Red Duck. If you folks say it's good, I'd better check it out next time.

Call me crazy but I think there's a lot to be said for warm beer.
You can tell the difference between great beer and typical shit by how it tastes when it's warm.
Tooheys New etc tastes like wet arse when it's warm.
Tooheys Old tastes fairly alright though it's still way better cold.
Beez Neez not only tastes awesome cold, it opens up with a whole new range of flavours when it's warm.
Looks like I'm going to have to go on a warm beer bender to see how much fact there is to my theory.

Many Belgian beers are recommended to be drank at room temperature rather than ice cold. I am not into it though.

La Trappe beers (although Dutch) are one such example. You can buy them in ceramic type bottles, very cool looking, which are meant to be drank warm I believe. In answer to Robs question from long ago, La Trappe beers aren't THAT pricey, you can pick up a four pack starting at $15.

Another nice beer I tried recently was Outback Pale Ale. Not bad at all.

A four pack for $15 - that's not too bad really.

Where's Outback from?

Tasting good at higher than freezing temperatures is the sign of a good beer to me, though it may not apply so much to lagers and pilseners. English beer is served at a few degrees above zero for a good reason!