MJR's opinion about nu-metal

karelrulez

Oct 5, 2002
Netherlands
www.ozrics.com
I read this in the interviews section, and it kind of made me laugh, michael romeo isn't even slightly interested in nu-metal
supergrin.gif

MU: (...) What is your least favorite style of metal out right now?

MR: My least favorite style. I don't know. What styles are there?

MU: You have all the subgenres. I didn't know if you had any in particular that you didn't care for too much.

MR: I don't know. I don't really know too much new stuff. I don't like that nu metal stuff too much. They tune down and have some kinda, not even a riff. They tune down as low as they can go and start chugging away on some kind of thing. No vocals, they kinda rap. I don't know. I don't even listen to that stuff. But anything else. . . I still love Priest and Sabbath and all that stuff. It's pretty much the old school stuff for me.

Reactions: Anonymous
sweepking said:
Read my quote and you can see what Joe Stump has to say about it!

*goes to have a listen to Stump*

If two great guitarists dislike it.. I already sense a guitarist I like... :D

There is nothing wrong with nu-metal in my book. There are good bands and there are sucky bands, but that goes for any genre, including prog metal. System of a Down and Mudvayne are both cool bands who make cool music, and no Yngwie clones are going to convince me otherwise.

to Harp Heaven: that's only your opinion.
you may say, there are a lot of cool bands in pop music, but you must specify, what you mean, calling a band "cool".

Of course, within the genre, like nu-metal or progressive metal etc, there are the best and the worst, but I claim nu-metal unnatural and unprofessional, so I think that nu-metal as a whole is the Shit's Avatar. The music for sick-minded adolescents. I hate it. Especially Limp Bizkit and Mudvayne.

And for me , there are no cool nu-metal bands.

I think there are some decent nu-metal bands out there. Disturbed has some great heavy songs and the band actually has talent. I like a few of the songs from bands like Limp Bizkit (the heavier ones like "Break Stuff"). I don't like the rapper vocals too much as they have become so common place in bands like POD and Linkin Park, although even these bands have some decent songs.

I don't think you can bash nu-metal in general because there are still many different styles out there that are lumped into the same category.

Although I like hearing a good new song, I agree with Romeo. give me Judas Priest and the old style metal any day.

Grom Hellscream said:
to Harp Heaven: that's only your opinion.
you may say, there are a lot of cool bands in pop music, but you must specify, what you mean, calling a band "cool".

Of course, within the genre, like nu-metal or progressive metal etc, there are the best and the worst, but I claim nu-metal unnatural and unprofessional, so I think that nu-metal as a whole is the Shit's Avatar. The music for sick-minded adolescents. I hate it. Especially Limp Bizkit and Mudvayne.

And for me , there are no cool nu-metal bands.

Cool music(IMO)= Music I like. Of course it is only my opinion. Nowhere in my post did I say otherwise. I did not say that anyone who disagreed me with me was stupid nor did I bash the ones who have already done so in this thread. I simply said that it(nu-metal)was okay in my book.

But, I must ask you: How is nu-metal unnatural(as a whole)and unprofessional? Especially that unprofessional bit bothers me, because you will be hard pressed to find more professional production than in the commercial nu-metal. With unnatural, I assume you were referring to the very mainstream bands like P.O.D. and Linkin Park. I can agree with this to a certain extent, but there are lots of nu-metal bands out there, and far from everyone has a million-dollar contract with Sony and get their videos played constantly on MTV. Just thought I`d let you know that.

I react strongly(this is not directed towards you, Grom)to those who say all nu-metal bands consist of crappy musicians. There seems to be this silent consensus that speed is what a musicians value should be measured by. I think this is wrong. One does not need to play lightning-fast arpeggios and 8-finger tap sequences to be a quality musician. I believe much of the criticism directed at nu-metal is a product of its huge success. If nu-metal had been an underground phenomenon, it would have gotten much more respect from these circles than it gets now. You may like or dislike the music, but you cannot deny the fact that nu-metal has been innovative and the early(and a few of the new ones)bands tried to do something that had not been done before.

First of all, Cradle of filth is not nu-metal... i don't even know how they entered the conversation (unless it was from the signature). Secondly, i have to say that just because something is new and innovating doesn't mean it is good... nirvana proved this. Finally, here's my reasoning behind me saying nu-metal sucks balls. I listened to nu-metal once upon a time. Then i heard some metallica, some megadeth, then iced earth, symphony x, death, nightwish, evergrey, vintersorg, and i said "fuck, this is so much better than that other shit!!!" and instantly went from listening to limp bizkit and korn religiously to only metal and classical and opera (they go hand in hand if you ask me). Oh, another thing about nu-metal which is different from actual metal is the crowds. There is no link there, no seeing someone with a nu-metal shirt and being like 'yeah... that's my bro over there'. No... you walk around town and see someone else in an iced earth or blind guardian shirt and you can go strike up a conversation with them and all is good... no "fuck you" you get with nu-metal punks. Trust me... attitude is everything and nu-metal is just like their attitude.... horrible.

KoRn uses 7 strings tuned down..... that's a whole different story, and not comparable to the tuning of a 6 string down a whole step.

Mudvayne is a good band. Some of you should actually try to listen to their music as their first album had songs with complex structures, many time changes, and a bass player that is actually really awesome. Eat shit and stop saying it sucks because of an "image" (yes, the image is gay, but if you judge something by an image you are the ultimate poseur). Most importantly, actually listen to it before you say it sucks simply because it's bunched in with the bands that are supposedly "nu metal." In my book, there are two types of metal: good metal and shit metal. Quit being genre nazis and just admit that it is all metal music.

ok.... so I forgot where I was going with this... but I did make a few points so make note of them!

EDIT: Fuck Poseurs
haha..... didn't someone ever tell Jon Schaffer he can't spell worth a shit??