Most Advanced Metal?

- VaNi4 -

Music is like a religion
Jul 21, 2003
Norway, Bergen
Visit site
I'm curius,what's your opinion? I think melodic metal is amoung the most advanced music. I have to credit Opeth, they are the most talented group I have ever heard. They combine so many different types of metal,eaven genres that aren't in the metal family. Their outstandig guitar plays, heavy riffs, solos,effects. But the vocals also has gotten things straight. He got like 5 or 6 different voices! 3 squeal- voices and 2 or 3 sing-voices. And every album has it's own style! In Flames got alot of great music to! Is there any groups you guys would recommend?

Yeah those bands you mentioned are great. Another band I'm into at the moment is Soilwork they are fukin good. I'm sure someone else will say Meshuggah but I'm not the biggest fan of those guys their latest album was average in my opinion but Destroy erase improve was a beauty.

Hewy80 said:
I'm sure someone else will say Meshuggah but I'm not the biggest fan of those guys their latest album was average in my opinion but Destroy erase improve was a beauty.

Destroy erase improve? Tell me more =) Well,most likely I will travel to Oslo in the fall of 2003 to catch Nevermore and Arch Enemy. They got some realy interessting music. Arch Enemy got some of the coolest guitar solos,omg! And Nevermore got some phat ass riffs =)

Borknagar absolutely rule - they combine black metal, folk metal and progresive rock...
And of course i have to speak of Blind Guardian - one of the few power metal bands with an own style, excellent songwriting and with an amount of aggression and power that i miss in most bands of that genre.
Then there are Symphony X, a powerfull progressive metal band.
Hmmmm at the moment this is the most advanced stuff that comes to my mind..
I agree about Opeth.

Well,the thing about Opeth i realized after some time,is that they have so much variable music. Blackwater Park was great, damnation was th3 smoke / sleep album nr.1 =), Morningrise was just f*** crazy, with "The Night And the Silent Water", "To Bid You Farewell" and "Black Rose Imortal". But the spesial thing about Opeth is the accoustic guitar. I think that's the recognition of Opeth. I need some more quality guitar plays like Opeth has. In Flames got some,allthough their riffs is mostly heavy (at least the newest albums). Metallica also got some shit like "To Live Is To Die","Orion","Call Of Kutulu" and half of the black album... Unforgiven,nothing etc... But i want more!!!

IMO:

Yes, Opeth have some great acoustic work. But the best album (by far), My Arms Your Hearse, probably has the least acoustic work in it, so it just goes to show.

Pre-Load Metallica is obviously exceptional. ...And Justice For All is especially good, MOP and RTL sitting just behind.

Meshuggah are boring.

Soilwork had some fairly decent stuff, then they went badly downhill.

Borknagar are great.

Symphony X are ok...

Blind Guardian are too cheesy.

Well, every metallica album is good for something,allthough I don't completely like the newest (Black,load,reload,garage and St.Anger). I'll say S&M is 1 hell of a good exeption,though. I eaven bought the DVD :p. Btw: Does anybody like folk metal?

You like Finntroll??? They got some serious cool material. Allthough it's not my favorite genre,it's cool to listen to sometimes. But im quite facinated by that genre!! It impressed me! But I'll guess Finntroll aren't the greatest Folk Metal. So if I decide to "study" folk metal,wich band should i start with?

lol,indeed! But they got some realy cool,uhhh, "break-off" riffs (!?). Like in "Riftrader" when they starts playing some funny instrument,the rythm goes slow,and you know,it makes you feel like a Viking that stands in a Battleship ready to run ashore to do what a Viking is suposed to do :p

I don't know that much folk metal, but I think Mithotyn and Manegarm are extremely good....I think they're folkish anyway.. :erk:

Opeth - sweeeet! But I don't think i'd consider melody just by itself to be 'advanced', but some bands both complex and melodious. Opeth is not one of them. I'll mention urm say Skyfire; highly melodic, very dense and fairly complex arrangements. Good stuff. mid era Soilwork were cool as well, but if you're a melody nut, you'd probably like the new stuff too. oh oh oh, Amon Amarth is unmissable for melody junkies too. Especially the latest titan; Vs the World.

slurm. um. Meshuggah of course play whacked-out music, i like it but a lot of people don't.....erm.

oh and of course, if you want uber technical stuff you might want to look into bands like spiral architect, spastic ink, dream theatre...crappy stuff like that.

there's tons of bands that are both technical and melodic....y'know......Death, Avulsed, Necrophagist, Vital Remains, Cynic.

SculptedCold said:
Meshuggah of course play whacked-out music, i like it but a lot of people don't.....erm.

Rofl!! I'm at work! Not good for me to have that kind of laughter when i'm suposed to work!

Anyways, I understand you when it comes to Opeth. The songs they make is, basicly, very simple. The guitars plays the same riff over and over again, while every time they play it again,something changes (most often the drums). And then they change riff and do the same over and over again (With a HUGE amount of style and quality that just gives you chills down your back when you listen to it.

I swear,when I hear "Bleak" or "The Drappery Falls"... Awwwwww,it's so outstanding :) But the real riffs is hidden deeply in songs like "Advent" or "Black Rose Imortal". BRI last like 20 minutes. That's a hell of alot of riffs!!!!!!

yesm, lots of Mcriffs, excellent dynamics, some of which is hard to play, but otherwise simple compositions. not to take away from the almighty glory that is opef though.

hey Guardian, will you stop saying My Arms Your Hearse is the best Opef album, it just not tr00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's funny how soo many people think that Opeth's music is very complex, technical and yada, yada, yada...when Mikael (he writes everything) doesn't even have one single lesson in guitar to lay back on.

Lets face it, the music he writes is pretty simple (I'm not saying that it's easy to write that kind of riffs and I'm not saying I don't adore Opeth) it's just the way the riffs is written. There isn't many hard passages and such in the music even tough the solos is pretty impressive.

The strength in Opeth's music is much more important than technical shit. It's the endless variation, the epic songs, Mikaels exeptional feel for rhythm and harmonies and the big passion that you feel within form the music. It's the emotion that they deliver in their songs and their interesting mix between accoustic and electric guitar.

In a disscution he even said that Linkin Park's guitarist probably is better than him.

I wrote this because I tried to explain that a bands most stunning and interesting strength's don't depend on the technical level (I obviosly is against Yngwie and sucht artist's). For me, it's more their way to use music as an instrument and to deliver different feelings to the listner.

But this is my opinion, but you are free to disscus it...

Reactions: - VaNi4 -
Impressive! 100% correct! Well I noticed that the Opeth songs weren't very hard to learn. Sometime I also noticed the basic grips in their song. But it's maby not that easy to say,because they use the grips in the most amazing ways. Like "The Night And The Silent Water", "Benighted","Face Of Melinda" and "Patterns In The Ivy". So you play guitar to?