Most Advanced Metal?

Darkhav said:
It's funny how soo many people think that Opeth's music is very complex, technical and yada, yada, yada...when Mikael (he writes everything) doesn't even have one single lesson in guitar to lay back on.

Lets face it, the music he writes is pretty simple (I'm not saying that it's easy to write that kind of riffs and I'm not saying I don't adore Opeth) it's just the way the riffs is written. There isn't many hard passages and such in the music even tough the solos is pretty impressive.

The strength in Opeth's music is much more important than technical shit. It's the endless variation, the epic songs, Mikaels exeptional feel for rhythm and harmonies and the big passion that you feel within form the music. It's the emotion that they deliver in their songs and their interesting mix between accoustic and electric guitar.

In a disscution he even said that Linkin Park's guitarist probably is better than him.

I wrote this because I tried to explain that a bands most stunning and interesting strength's don't depend on the technical level (I obviosly is against Yngwie and sucht artist's). For me, it's more their way to use music as an instrument and to deliver different feelings to the listner.

But this is my opinion, but you are free to disscus it...

You've only done 9 posts and I've already decided that I like you.

spaffe said:
well the swedish band "visceral bleeding" are technical as hell with some insane tempo shifts and drumming. furhtermore i can only second opeth and meshuggah, even though none of them are any of my favourite bands.

Yes!

I reviewed their album a few months ago and was happily suprised at what I heard. More people should hear this band.

Since when was "technical" a synonym for "advanced?" The most advanced (i.e. farthest from Sabbath) metal would probably be something like Thousand Swords era Graveland or perhaps Summoning.

Since someone started saying it. LoL, well advanced may not be a synonym for technical in music, but who said it can't be? It's a very common synonym for 'technical' in informal language, and no-one says these forums have to be strictly formal either, so what does it matter?

What is it with you and Graveland anyway? It's like you found the band with the worst production possible and decided their music was the most elite. That's a funny coincidence huh? There's a band called Dubbul Ded though who have worse production, so go check them out, you might likem.

Guardian of Darkness said:
IMO:
Blind Guardian are too cheesy.

Blind Guardian are one of the least cheesy euro-powermetal bands i ever listened to! Even as an appreciator of Black and some Death metal i think 'I'm Alive' is one of the most agressive songs i ever heard(ok, Nile songs are more aggressive:p)

And we talk about quality, not about cheesyness...

Rhapsody are cheesy.

Planetary Eulogy said:
Since when was "technical" a synonym for "advanced?" The most advanced (i.e. farthest from Sabbath) metal would probably be something like Thousand Swords era Graveland or perhaps Summoning.

Welcome back Dying Sun. :wave:

- VaNi4 -:

Yes I play guitar, saw that you had similar opinion like me in this question, very nice!

SculptedCold:

He is THE fuckin' Mikael indeed, I just wanted to point out that guitarists that have pretty advanced knowledge (I belive that the guitarist in such a media based band has got some drilling on his guitar) with their instrument doesn't automatically
give them good songs when their passion only sniffs money and fame. IMO it's impossible for them to make anything interseting to this world, sorry to see that most people of this century disagree.

And Mikael is not what I would call shy...

Guardian of Darkness:

Glad to hear!

Uuummm....

Emotionally:

Opeth
My Dying Bride
Katatonia
Today is The Day
Agalloch
Pain of Salvation (Remedy Lane)
Empyrium
Isis
Neurosis

Technically:

Cryptopsy
Cynic
Theory In Practice
Visceral Bleeding
Zero Hour
Origin
Atheist
Meshuggah

BOTH:

Psychotic Waltz
Tool
Radiohead
Porcupine Tree
Vehemence
Pink Floyd
Vanden Plas

many more...including Rush, who were so ahead of their time.

What do you guys feel about Children Of Bodom? I have like 2 albums, but I constantly fail to understand their music. I feel that every song is similar because of the guitar. Little variation, but the few songs that has strucked my mind like "Bed Of Razors" is ok :D

I love Children of Bodom. They are catchy and technical. The shredding, their sense of melody and riffs are exceptional. But I can't stand their lyrics. Alexi Laiho is an awesome guitarist! They put on a sick live show too!

Most advanced music aye... Hmmmm

Opeth's songwriting and arrangements are awesome, but I wouldn't say much about the technicality. They're one of my favourite bands though.

Symphony X is at the top of the list in terms of technicality. :)

Meh. Children of Bodom are good if I'm in the right mood. They're overly dramatic though, and this prevents me from taking their music seriously.

Yeah Opeth are pretty advanced. Technical death metal is very advanced, as far as the guitars and drums go. Bands like Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, Spawn Of Possession, Decapitated, Gorguts have very advanced guitar riffs and rhythms. The only thing that isn't advanced about tech death is the vocals, but dm isn't about vocal melodies.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Evergrey, those guys write great riffs with lots of changes and a great use of piano and keys.

What are you guys calling Folk metal? Is it stuff like spanish band Mago de Oz or something like that?